| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad Pap - please get a pelvic exam yearly
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:33 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

kale is your friend wrote:
I'll add fears of HPV to my list of reasons why I despise being a woman. It's not a gender identity thing either - more just frustrations with issues related to being a sexually-active person with lady parts. If it's not the risk of pregnancy, it's the risk of STD's or cancer or general period woes. Condoms don't protect against everything (or even really 100% against anything even when used properly). And condoms suck, as do periods and all forms of birth control short of getting one's tubes tied, which isn't an option since I'm only 23. Waah.

I didn't get Gardasil because my parents were convinced that it was unnecessary since they assumed I'd wait for marriage to have sex with a husband who would also be a virgin - now I'm 23 and have been sexually active for several years. Would it still be worth getting since I've never had an abnormal pap?

Agreed. I had one more colpo in December and I still have dysplasia but we're leaving it there until the next one. I don't know if it is the scare of pre-cancerous cells or just not having the money for ridiculous triple biopsies but re-reading this thread is making me want to cry. I want to blame somebody but I can't. Maybe Aphrodite for making sex so awesome.

As Axel Foley mentioned, there have been studies linking LEEP to increase birthing interventions but I haven't read anything as serious about fertility itself.

Cowgirl, <3 <3 <3 <3. It's not *that* bad, it's just that it's not the worst thing in my life and that's why I feel like smashing something.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:54 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

It's no reason to despise being a woman. It's not a woman-specific thing:

"More than half of men who are sexually active in the U.S. will have HPV at some time in their life. Often, a man will clear the virus on his own, with no health problems."

http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditions/ ... -virus-men

It's definitely a human thing, not a gender specific thing. Sure, we have pregnancy and periods to deal with, but STDs, cancer, and condom use apply to everyone.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:00 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

so...abnormal paps.

How likely are they to do a biopsy if they said I need a colposcopy? I'm incredibly freaked out, and I'd probably make them schedule another appointment if they said I needed a biopsy - I'm not really up for dealing with pain/recovery time if I wasn't planning on it to begin with.

I kind of just want to claw my cervix out right now, but I'm trying to think reasonably...reassurances would be welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The biopsy is really not that painful, a few pinches is really all it is.

As far as fertility. I have PCOS, I had a LEEP done in September and got pregnant in October and everything is going smoothly. My cervix is holding up and my doctor has not been concerned about the length so far.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:31 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Regardless, I'm not going to have a biopsy when they do the colpo. I'm far too upset about this to add any more stress, procedure-wise. I'm just worried about a) the potential need for a biopsy, and b) the response of the dr when I tell them that it would have to happen another day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Are you close with your doctor? So, the colposcopy is just basically a magnifying glass so the doctor can look at your cervix. The doctor will apply a vinegar solution to your cervix to "light up" any abnormal cells. If she sees anything that is when they do the biopsy. If you schedule your biopsy for a different day she will still have to do a colposcopy again. My doctor really talked me through everything and made me feel really comfortable, maybe you should see if you can have a consultation prior to the colposcopy to talk to your doctor more so you will feel more comfortable and prepared for when you go in. My doctor did four biopsies, if my cervix were a clock she did one at 12, 3, 6, and 9. Two came back normal, one was mild, and one was severe which is why I had a LEEP after. When I had my LEEP my doctor said she would call me in two weeks with the results, when three weeks had gone by I started to get worried and was about to call her when she called and said they ran my labs three times because everything taken from my LEEP was normal and I had completely cleared all the cancer cells.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:28 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Congrats, Sra. Nooch... this thread scared me into getting my first pap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:32 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I've only seen her once before - I just moved to a new state, and never had a regular gynecologist anyway.

The possibility of multiple biopsies being taken for the sake of being thorough really concerns me, honestly. If I did let them go ahead and biopsy something, they'd have to have a really, really strong case for doing so - as in, they'd have to find (and inform me of) an extremely concerning bit of tissue. And even though they say they only take biopsy samples if they find an area they find particularly worrisome, I'm afraid they're going to use "certainty" as a reason for taking samples.

I know certainty is a matter of utmost importance for some, but I'd much rather wait a few months, have another pap, and then revisit the issue. I feel like I don't have much of a choice in what I do about this and when, and I'm really struggling with that aspect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I've only seen her once before - I just moved to a new state, and never had a regular gynecologist anyway.

The possibility of multiple biopsies being taken for the sake of being thorough really concerns me, honestly. If I did let them go ahead and biopsy something, they'd have to have a really, really strong case for doing so - as in, they'd have to find (and inform me of) an extremely concerning bit of tissue. And even though they say they only take biopsy samples if they find an area they find particularly worrisome, I'm afraid they're going to use "certainty" as a reason for taking samples.

I know certainty is a matter of utmost importance for some, but I'd much rather wait a few months, have another pap, and then revisit the issue. I feel like I don't have much of a choice in what I do about this and when, and I'm really struggling with that aspect.

for each biopsy that they take it is a tiny cluster of cells, like half the size of an ant, maybe smaller. it isn't huge at all.

i know you are scared, but in my case if i had told the doctor she could only take one biopsy and she happened to biopsy a part that ended up being one of the normal biopsies the high grade lesions wouldn't have been found and i could have cervical cancer today. also, my doctor took four samples, your doctor might only take one or two. i am just trying to be reassuring about the whole procedure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:11 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

KIYF,

There are some things you get to do when you are comfortable, but unfortunately, following up on an irregular pap is not one you can do safely. I know it can be hard to remember, but the doctors who are making the recommendations aren't making them for their own health or gratification; they're doing what they believe is best for you and your health. You are not qualified to make sound decisions regarding the number of biopsies that are needed or when.

Having just been prescribed medicine I can't afford and will likely need to find a way to pay for for the rest of my days, I feel you when you say you wish you could control the timing of this stuff, but you really don't get to without serious consequences. Also, as much as you wish you could choose when and how you get biopsied, if you decide not to follow your doctor's recommendations, and (god forbid) you get sick, you are going to wish a lot harder that you could choose not to be ill. You play the hand you're dealt, and you make the best of it. Please think carefully about your decision, and be healthy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

so...abnormal paps.

How likely are they to do a biopsy if they said I need a colposcopy? I'm incredibly freaked out, and I'd probably make them schedule another appointment if they said I needed a biopsy - I'm not really up for dealing with pain/recovery time if I wasn't planning on it to begin with.

I kind of just want to claw my cervix out right now, but I'm trying to think reasonably...reassurances would be welcome.

There isn't really any pain/recovery time involved in the biopsies. I'm not really sure what you're imagining, but the amount of tissue they take for the biopsy is really small, maybe the size of the point of a pencil. It mostly just felt like a hard pinch, like getting a shot. You'll probably have some spotting, but that's it for recovery. I had my colposcopy/biopsy done in the morning and went straight to work with no issues. Also, an abnormal pap and the need for a colposcopy doesn't mean you'll have to have a LEEP. I had an abnormal PAP in my 20s and when I finally went in for the colposcopy they didn't find anything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:27 am 
Cranky

BluePlasticStraw wrote:

There isn't really any pain/recovery time involved in the biopsies. I'm not really sure what you're imagining, but the amount of tissue they take for the biopsy is really small, maybe the size of the point of a pencil. It mostly just felt like a hard pinch, like getting a shot. You'll probably have some spotting, but that's it for recovery. I had my colposcopy/biopsy done in the morning and went straight to work with no issues. Also, an abnormal pap and the need for a colposcopy doesn't mean you'll have to have a LEEP. I had an abnormal PAP in my 20s and when I finally went in for the colposcopy they didn't find anything.

BPS is right. I actually didn't have any spotting at all, and I felt completely normal within a couple of hours. The process was barely more painful than a pap for me. I walked home afterwards and went on with my day. Biopsy is a scary word, but the procedure really isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:58 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dr. Apricot wrote:
BluePlasticStraw wrote:

BPS is right. I actually didn't have any spotting at all, and I felt completely normal within a couple of hours. The process was barely more painful than a pap for me. I walked home afterwards and went on with my day. Biopsy is a scary word, but the procedure really isn't.

yes, exactly. i didn't even have any spotting from my biopsy.

even after my LEEP i walked home. i was in some discomfort, but the next day i made dinner for 12 people at a friends house, so the recovery time for that was less than 24 hours (for me). of course there is more internal healing from that, but the time i actually felt discomfort to the time i felt like i could get on with my life was less than 24 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:14 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Okay! So I was diagnosed with HPV when I was pregnant (2006) and I had a culposcopy and all that and it wasn't cancer and then in 2009 my pap was clear and last year's pap - if anyone remembers from the old boards - was done by a young female soldier who SUCKED. It was the only pap I've ever had that gave me cramps after, I could TELL she did it wrong, and my results said I was clean but they didn't get any cervical cells. Uhmmm - whatever. So In about 20 minutes I leave for a new CIVILIAN doctor - actually, the midwife at his office. This will go better, right? *knock on wood*

Also, I wasn't paying attention when I scheduled the appointment and just noticed today is day 28 of my cycle. D'oh.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:08 pm 
WELFARIST!

Wow, I can't believe some of your OBGYN's said to get it checked every 2-3 years! Mine recommends every 6-12 months.

And, everything that Jordan said.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:53 pm 

oh of course.

midwife? moron. never heard of a menstrual cup, but what really concerns me is i told her i have migraines with aura (a contraindication for most birth control pills) and she prescribed lo loestrin FE - on the lo loestrin site it says - "who should not take lo loestrin fe?" ...anyone who has

" Ever had certain kinds of severe migraine headaches with aura, numbness, weakness
or changes in vision"

i was briefly excited i could take the pill (i have really heavy clotting painful periods)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Argh! Is there any reason you can't try a desogestrel one? I was talking to someone who works in healthcare about it recently, and she said it stopped her migraines (though I suppose that depends on triggers) and pain.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:33 pm 

I have never heard of such a thing but I'll go google!! I do get menstrual migraines in addition to other migraines. Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:57 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I had a colposcopy last week, and I just heard back yesterday evening that I have mild to moderate dysplasia, so I'm going to have a LEEP done in a month. I'm actually pretty pleased about the outcome -- the doctor said I could have waited to see if it went away on its own if I felt strongly about not having a procedure done, but I'm happy to get the abnormal spots taken off any not have to worry about them. And he said I should be able to keep my IUD in without a problem. Yay! I'm still a little nervous, but mostly really relieved.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:12 pm 

Congrats and good luck cherry!! :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:46 pm 

my pap came back normal again, woo!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:23 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I just had my very first colposcopy on Thursday. Nothing has hurt or been traumatizing or anything so far, except the doctor is worried about the fact that I have moderate to severe dysplasia when my last pap that came back normal wasn't that long ago at all. And I guess I'm kinda freaked out because I did have the gardisil shots - on time - about one and a half years ago. I hope it's just a normal bad thing and not a super freaky abnormal bad thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:24 pm 

thinking happy thoughts for you fee!!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:27 pm 
Semen Strong

That sounds scary. Sending you happy hoohaw thoughts.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:09 am 
Chip Strong

I had my first smear test and have no problems. Yay!

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next