| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:58 pm 
Pumpkinhead's lovechild

I loved Magicka. Awesome game. Friendly fire has never been so funny

Enjoyed watching Total Biscuit play Super Meatboy. Currently lots off

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:42 am 
WRETCHED

We like Torchlight. I'm excited about Dragon Age for $10. I almost missed it because it wasn't really advertised.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:19 pm 
A Bad Person

Alright! A good bunch of deals today!

Singularity has been called "the Russian Bioshock" and that's not entirely inaccurate. It's fun if a little dull, but definitely worth $7.50 if you're into first-person shooters. Frozen Synapse, for $12.50, nets you TWO copies of Frozen Synapse. You get a copy, and you can send one to a friend. It's a really interesting top-down, turn-based small squad tactics game. Watch the trailer for it, it's a lot of fun but a little hard to explain. Fallout: New Vegas? For $15? Heck yes. And the DLC is $3/per so jump on those too! For $5, you can't really go wrong with Alpha Protocol. It's a pretty unique RPG, being espionage focused. $12.50 for all of the Mount & Blade games is pretty good, considering the third game just came out at $20. I'm not a huge fan but a lot of people have lost a lot of time on this medieval combat-focused RPG. Trine for $2 is super cheap for a really unique sidescrolling platform/action game. Yet again, this is another that you should check out the trailer for.

A lot of today's cheevo goals are games that are only heavily-discounted today, like Mount & Blade: Warband, Homefront, Trine, and Serious Sam HD. If you're interested in any of those games, jump on them today and maybe get the cheevos later. But not too late!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:20 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Another day I'll just talk about the ones I know something about.

I'm going to give my thoughts.

I'm going to say the biggest must get of today is trine. It's only 2 bucks but it's a classic platformer. For two bucks there is no reason not to buy it. I doubt it will get cheaper then 90% off. 90% is freakin sick.

Fallout new vegas is just like fallout 3. If you like the elder scrolls stuff or fallout 3 you should get it while it's 75% off. It's the whole franchise. But that doesn't include fallout 3.

I hear nothing but good things about mount and blade so I can't see why anyone would miss it. I am going to buy the whole franchise sale based on what I've been told.

Alpha protocol is an RPG in the old bioware style made by obsidian. Combat can be a bit wonky but I really liked it. Played though at stealth then I played through a second time to pick the nice guy personality choices as a combat character. I think the story, social aspects, and characters are top notch. If you liked empire and you like dark realistic spy stories (sort of a less cartoonish metal gear but you pick your characters personality) then you should buy it.

Serious same is a game where you shoot things. It's a first person shooter that doesn't try to be halo. It doesn't try to add in RPG elements. What it does is let you shoot things. It's mindless shooting of things. If you liked classic FPS games this is a do not miss gem. If you don't like classic FPS games where you shoot things old school then serious sam isn't for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:16 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Mount & Blade is awesome, I played the first one a lot when it came out and the new ones have marked improvements. The whole fallout franchise has eaten so much of my time its sad. Most of the games are amazing, some are just good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:55 pm 
A Bad Person

I am totally with you on Fallout. Fallout and Bethesda games just devour my time, so a Fallout game made by Bethesda is just that much devouring.

I bought all of the Mount & Blade games when Fire and Sword came out and I am just awful at these. I can handle myself well enough in the combat but I am always WAY outnumbered and my minions drop like flies. I will get the cheevo for today's ticket though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:25 pm 
A Bad Person

I got the Lady in the Water cheevo for Warband on a glitch I think. I made a female character, found a male companion, rode around a while to look for some bandits and a two-handed great sword. I found one and it cost way more than I had so I started hunting small groups of bandits. I got the cheevo after selling some bandit crepe in a town and resting for the night. I'm not sure what "great sword" I gave my companion but whatevs! I spent way too long trying to get that cheevo anyway.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't have any of the games for the last few batches of tickets.

so my ticket count is tiny and sad. I have been meaning to work through the new achievements for killing floor. I think I need two more or three more for the DLC.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:51 pm 

The learning curve on warband is kinda steep but once you figure out mounted polearms; particularly lances, its very satisfying. I kinda liked having a hoard of 40-50 and battling with armies of 100+. Pretty epic.

Getting oblivion was one of the worst ideas i've had in a while. It's so good! I have played it maybe 20 hours in 3 days and am super behind at work and now I have 2 projects I just started I have to finish in an all-nighter before the meeting tomorrow at 4p. Damn you Bethesda!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:17 pm 
A Bad Person

Tuesday deals!

I love the STALKER games and you can get them all for a little more than $10. They are, however, slightly obtuse, being made in the Ukraine and a little noob-unfriendly. However, Shadows of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat offer some amazing experiences. Civ 5 is half off, $25. It is a pretty big change from the previous Civs so check out some reviews if you're interested. Deus Ex for $2.50 is CRAZY cheap! It's a classic FPS-RPG masterpiece, so check it out! You can get both Telltale Monkey Island remakes for $7.50, which have received mixed but mostly positive reviews. Monday Night Combat is a pretty fun mix of TF2 multiplayer with some tower defense elements and only $3.74.

A lot of today's sale games have prizes in the prize booth, such as MNC and AI War and Beat Hazard. Similarly, all three games have cheevo goals for tickets today, so if you're into free content for cheap games, start playing them!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh man, I might need to grab monday night combat and monkey island.

i think I got Deus Ex and the others during black friday's sale.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:36 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

B_A_D wrote:
Oh man, I might need to grab monday night combat and monkey island.

i think I got Deus Ex and the others during black friday's sale.

Cool.

You'll probably want to play through the first dues ex because it's a classic before the new dues ex comes out. I don't think anyone cares about the second dues ex.

I'm fond of the king author franchise. Basically it's like the total war games but not the totally war games. I don't have the new the druids expan so I plan on getting that.

Guild wars was great but it's an online game and it's years old. I don't know if it still has a good sized crowd to kill. I spent about 3 weeks playing PVP on that until I got bored.

The first and third game in the stalker series are great experiences. If you want to be thrify but you want to play stalker then clear sky is skippable.

The two biggest changes in Civ 5 are that you can only have one unit per tile and some of your city management treats your civilization like one big city. This effects combat a lot. It also dumbs down some out of combat stuff. I got used to Civ 4 with expansions so I had spies and it had religion and I had a ton of stuff to make it more interesting not to be murdering other dues. I'm hoping civ 5 gets a good expansion like civ 4 had with beyond the sword. I'll still buy the civilizations I don't already own during this sale though.

I've heard good things about AI war. It' ticket prize is a bit silly though because the DLC is on sale.. and it's cheaper to get AI war an expans in the big combo then it is to get AI war and 2 of the expans but not the one that is free with a ticket.

When did they make monkey island? I swear they will be releasing and rereleaasing those monkey island games again and again long past when I've died of old age. I'm not saying it's a bad point and click adventure. It did what it did well.

Also the free ticket is play a demo. fortrix2 has a demo.. I wonder if I can unlock that ticket and the fortix 2 ticket in fortixes 2 demo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:44 pm 
A Bad Person

Chiatroll wrote:
When did they make monkey island? I swear they will be releasing and rereleaasing those monkey island games again and again long past when I've died of old age. I'm not saying it's a bad point and click adventure. It did what it did well.

The original Monkey Island was released a long time ago by LucasArts. These remakes were recently done by Telltale. Telltale is also responsible for a recent series of new Monkey Island games called The Tales of Monkey Island. They were episodic releases, a lot like their Sam & Max series.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:45 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

brian wrote:
Chiatroll wrote:

The original Monkey Island was released a long time ago by LucasArts. These remakes were recently done by Telltale. Telltale is also responsible for a recent series of new Monkey Island games called The Tales of Monkey Island. They were episodic releases, a lot like their Sam & Max series.

I remember playing it on like super nintendo or something. Monkey island I mean.. I think it was monkey island 2. It was lucas arts then.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:10 pm 
A Bad Person

I'm going to give the AI War demo a shot for my free ticket, and if it's any good I'll probably snag it. $3? Sure why not! Same goes for Beat Hazard, though the prize booth freebie is just an avatar reskin.

There are some seriously hidden gems in this sale too. VVVVVV is only $2.50. It's a really fun retro platformer. I think there's a demo. I forking loved it. Zen Bound 2 is $1, MBM liked that one. The Penny Arcade: On the Precipice of Darkness pack is less than $2. I played through the first one and it (surprisingly) kind of plays like Chrono Trigger, with all the Penny Arcade humor.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:11 pm 
A Bad Person

Also, apparently Civ 5 is only $17 on Amazon, and it's a Steamworks game so the it comes with a Steam CD key that you can enter in and download the game.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Adding penny arcade to my cart.

I liked zen bound, for a mindless little indy game. It was oddly relaxing.

i highly recommend beat hazard, it's like Asteroids on acid/pcp and steroids.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:25 pm 
A Bad Person

Good god, you weren't joking when you said Beat Hazard was like Asteroids on acid. Holy god. Still not as mind melting as Space Giraffe or Brainpipe or Gridrunner Revolution though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:21 pm 

Civ 5 is sounding bad from what you guys are saying, is that the case? Civ4 was hella fun, not so with this new one?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

brian wrote:
Good god, you weren't joking when you said Beat Hazard was like Asteroids on acid. Holy god. Still not as mind melting as Space Giraffe or Brainpipe or Gridrunner Revolution though.

I don't joke about asterorids and acid.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:03 am 
A Bad Person

I jumped on Wings of Prey and its DLC. Now that I actually know how to fly a plane that's prop driven and not in outer space, I may actually really enjoy a good WW2 sim. I also grabbed STALKER: Clear Sky because it's the only one I don't own on Steam and I still want to get through it. I recall getting stuck at a machinegun nest right at the start of Cordon.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:25 am 
Smuggling Raisins

maximumrockandlol wrote:
Civ 5 is sounding bad from what you guys are saying, is that the case? Civ4 was hella fun, not so with this new one?

In civ 5 combat is better more complex but out of combat stuff is more simple. It also just feels like it needs more civs to pick from. I'm hoping for some good expansions like civ 4 had though. I bet with 2 expans it'll stand to crush civ 4.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:30 pm 
A Bad Person

Humpday deals! (heh, hump)

There are quite a few Gothic games, and they get a lot of love by a small niche of people. If you can get over some control issues, they can all be had for less than $20. Killing Floor, which consistantly puts out holiday themed free content, is only $5. It's kind of like Left 4 Dead, of which Left 4 Dead 2 is also on sale for $5. Better get both! King's Bounty is a remake of an older game by a Russian company. It's kind of like Heroes of Might and Magic, and at least the first one is pretty fun. All three King's Bounty games can be had for $7. Get Batman: Arkham Asylum for $7.50 to prepare for Arkham City, because it's totally forking awesome!!! The Sims 3 junk is down to a reasonable cost, you can get the base game for $14, or the whole mess for $80. Both Far Cry's are on sale for $7.50 combined. The first is a great jungle action FPS, the second is a love/hate free roaming FPS set in Africa. And finally, Atom Zombie Smasher for $3. I love everything this guy makes and Atom Zombie Smasher is a weird one. Kind of like a tower defense, kind of like an RTS.

Listen. Tonight, we are going to nail some cheevos. From 7pm CDT to 8pm CDT, I'll be organizing games of L4D2, Killing Floor, and Spiral Knights for the sole purpose of getting the cheevos. We'll play them in that order. Make a video of it and post it for your freebie ticket. And this weekend, I'm going to set an event to help clean up whatever we miss tonight and the rest of the week. The focus will be multiplayer, ie. L4D2, Killing Floor, Spiral Knights, TF2, MNC, etc. We're going to get some free shiitake.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:35 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

brian wrote:
Listen. Tonight, we are going to nail some cheevos. From 7pm CDT to 8pm CDT, I'll be organizing games of L4D2, Killing Floor, and Spiral Knights for the sole purpose of getting the cheevos. We'll play them in that order. Make a video of it and post it for your freebie ticket. And this weekend, I'm going to set an event to help clean up whatever we miss tonight and the rest of the week. The focus will be multiplayer, ie. L4D2, Killing Floor, Spiral Knights, TF2, MNC, etc. We're going to get some free shiitake.

I am so in for this.. I don't know if l4d2 will run well on my laptop but i'll try it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:36 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Yay new sales.

There are already a ton of PPK members that own left for dead so you might be able to play it with members of the forum. You shoot zombies and try to survive to the end. It's made for four people to play at once. If you don't have 4 people there will still be four character but the missing players will be played by bots with the AI intelligence of a goldfish.

Killing floor always does something with steam so they are up today. I've been wondering when they'd show up. You shoot zombie like things just like in left for dead so that series is what it's easiest to compare to. It's a smaller indie game compared to left four dead but it's different while similar to left four dead. I haven't put much time into it.

The sims 3 are on a franchise sale. I'm not into sims but they sure as hell sell. Everyone knows that the sims are so it doesn't need explanation. It's kind of like playing house on the computer.

Kings Bounty is basically a lower budget might and magic clone. I own it. It's almost impossible to describe without at some point saying "kind of like might and magic" it's turn based make an army have heroes fight the other guy. The latest one has a demo.

I'm a huge fan of the gothic series 1 2 and 3. 4 was made by a different developer and kind of forgot what was good about the series. 1 2 and 3 are german sandboxy elder scroll like games where you do the standard archer, mage, fighter selection and forget about the plot while you go off and do things on your own. 4 is in the same world but isn't quite as sandbox or RPG. 4 has a demo the others don't.

Bat man is one of the better made superhero games. It has the modern "metriodvania" style game play with some stealth areas. The meaning of metriodvania is you explore one area that gives you an item you use on a boss and then you use to get to the next area repeat with a heavy focus on exploration. It stays pretty true to batman it's well made. Lots of people liked it. It has a demo.

I hear Jamestown is a does a really good job for it's genre. It's an old school style top down shooter as you can see. The plot seems to be a historical one about the time back in 1619 the british invaded mars using spaceships to build a colony. It looks like it might be fun but I'm going to wait for the winter sale.

I don't own prototype and I'm considering it.

Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 54  Next