| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are the basics you make every week or so?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm thinking about the basic foods I make regularly to have on hand and wishing for some new ideas. What do you like to make from scratch as a kitchen staple?

My current weekly list is:
soy milk
granola
bread/tortillas/pizza dough/crackers

I make these often, but not every week:
tofu
kombucha
seitan
peanut butter (ok, I grind it at the food co-op)
beer
sauerkraut or other fermented veggies
curry powder (I like Madhur Jaffrey's recipes in World Vegetarian)

What I wish was on the regular list, but isn't:
tempeh (actually culturing the beans)
miso

Post subject: Re: What are the basics you make every week or so?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Wow, I'm so impressed!

I used to make a batch of yoghurt about twice a week, but I got out of the habit... I've been meaning to start up again.

I'll be watching this thread with interest...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:08 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

This is not what I eat every single day, but it's my default (varies based on what I have on hand):

breakfast - soy milk, banana, kale & flax seed smoothie
lunch - salad w/ greens, carrots, tomatoes, walnuts, celery, avocado, olive oil & balsamic vinegar
dinner - beans & rice, pasta w/ veggies and tomato sauce, stir fry, burritos, sushi...

When I eat with other people, I like to go all out and make something totally bomb.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:21 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Wow! I don't make anything cool from scratch, but I make the PPK chickpea cutlets a lot. I usually cook stir fry, sandwiches( I'm a sandwich fanatic), soups, curries, and quinoa with veggies and sweet potato for the whole week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:48 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

on sundays, i make a pot of quinoa, a pot of short grain brown rice, and a batch of tofu and/or tempeh of some sort. that (along with some sort of leafy green that i prepare that morning or the night before) takes care of lunch every day, and dinner on the nights i get home late and don't have time to cook something else.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:15 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I go through phases, but here's my rotation for the past month or so. Every Monday I make:

- 3 servings of whipped banana oatmeal (breakfasts - and on the other days, I have cereal). Both topped with fruit.
- 1 batch of Sanctuary Dressing, for my daily giant bowl of greens (from AFR)
- 1 batch of Chickpea Cutlets, usually for sandwiches (from Veganomicon)
- 1 batch of Golden Chickpea & Artichoke Salad, to go on top of my salads or stuffed into pitas (from Vegan Yum Yum)
- 1 batch crispy tempeh bits (again, on salads or in pitas)
- 1 batch of [insert veggie here - I'm on a steamed asparagus kick right now]. Usually eaten with dinners. Sometimes with Easy Breezy Cheezy Sauce (AFR).

Then I make one or two "dinner" meals, and freeze 2 servings and put 2 servings in the fridge. That way, I build up a rotation of frozen meals I can take with me to work for lunch, and have enough leftovers for that week's dinners.

This week, I had tofu tacos and chickpea cutlet sandwiches (one Italian style with marinara, one BLT style with garlic sauce and tempeh bacon).

Last week, my dinners were a vegan potato alfredo pasta, and more chickpea cutlet sandwiches (I just got a panini press. I'm obsessed).

The week before, I had Apple Miso Tofu stir-fry most of the week. (AFR I think).

I only cook for one, so a recipe usually makes 4-6 servings. I tend to get sick of having the same thing every day - thus half in the freezer.

I'm also apparently on a chickpea kick right now - though I'm about to make my very first attempt at veggie sushi today, in preparation for Easter festivities. Maybe that will kick me into a new obsession. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:25 am 
Impressive boner

I usually make a batch of Arroz Mexicano or vegetable biryani in the oven depending on what I have in, plus a couple of batches of seitan o'greatness.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:40 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

about the only thing I make on a regular basis is steel cut oats and quinoa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

Mmmm. Loving the idea of making some kind of cutlet/patty/burger regularly. There are so many things you can do with them during the week.

I've been a lazy cook this week and there isn't much of anything ready to eat in the house right now, so this is good inspiration!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Kombucha is on my weekly rotation, but I need a bigger jar so my batches last from one week to the next. I make bread as well, if I want any because I can't have wheat, and there aren't really good breads without wheat that aren't expensive. I make beans and rice several times a week, but not in advance. I just cook them the day I need them. Also make some cookies or other sweets each week, but the selection changes depending on what I have.

From time to time I make tomato sauce and fruit preserves and pickles and things to can, but they aren't on a weekly rotation or anything.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

beans, beans beans- i usually make two 6-8 c. pots a week- i make a bean soup one night, a bean dish or a dip/spread or freeze some

rice, quinoa and maybe another grain, again, make at least double what we need- i use if for that nights dinner, then later for a bowl dinner or other dish

i always do burgers on fridays, and i heat up some leftover beans and grains (or oatmeal if i dont have any grains), grate some onion, garlic and veg, add some nutritional yeast, and what ever spice or flavoring i want it to have, cool, make patties and fry

tuesdays i bake breads- seriously i always feel like i'm living little house on the priaire when i do this, even though it usually involves my stand mixer. I try to do 2 loaves and something 'special' like pizza dough or pitas as well as a few rolls for burger night

marinated, baked tofu- i try to keep some marinating in the fridge, and bake if i need a quick meal. Still, i do try to keep it to once a week since between my son and husband, they can polish off a block o tofu in one meal no matter how much other stuff there is.

sprouts- although i feel like this barely counts its so little work

i used to do yougurt, but have to restart, i also used to make sourdough every week, but we had a family emergency back in november and i have never started a new starter for either. i bought a flat of wildwood yougurts and when i'm on the last one, i WILL start again- i have always just made it without adding a thickener and called it 'kefir' in my head, i want to start thickening it this time though

i always plan to do seitan or a vwg cutlet like i do my bread, but it realistically happens about every third week. When i do, i try to do a huge triple batch and freeze some.

i also canned salsa and all fruit style jams last summer that we are still eating, although about to run out of jam. Luckily, its almost strawberry time here, so i will starting that up soon! i'm gonna try to put up tomato sauce/canned tomatoes as well as starting to pickle this summer if my minigarden cooperates

I would LOVE to do kombucha, if anyone is interested in sharing a scoby, let me know, i would happily do a trade or engage in monetary compensation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:33 pm 
Tofu Pup

I like to make a batch of "cheese". Makes for quick spreads on bread when it's cold. Great warmed up on everything else: pasta, potatoes, grilled cheese.

I always have some sort of spread going: white bean and sundried tomato, hummus, baba ghanoush.

And a batch of soup. I'm a soup kid. Can't stop making the gnocchi pesto soup on here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

I like to make a batch of "cheese". Makes for quick spreads on bread when it's cold. Great warmed up on everything else: pasta, potatoes, grilled cheese.

I always have some sort of spread going: white bean and sundried tomato, hummus, baba ghanoush.

And a batch of soup. I'm a soup kid. Can't stop making the gnocchi pesto soup on here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Quinoa Salad! Batch of quinoa with mango or orange segments, red onion, chopped cucumber, grape tomatoes, lime, olive oil, salt and pepper. It gets better every day!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:22 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

-Bread. I make a loaf every 2 weeks.

I don't make these every week but I make big batches once a month and freeze 'em:
-fruit jellies
-pesto
-cheese sauce (to go on baked potatoes)
-muffins or bagels for breakfast
-tahini salad dressing
-almond ricotta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:48 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Great thread, but it doesn't really have anything to do with the Midwest. Doesn't it belong in the kitchen?