| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gardein
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

Has anyone tried their new "Beefless Burger"? I saw them at Whole Foods last time I was there but haven't tried them yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

We just had the burgers. Very meaty. I liked them, too realistic for my husband. They grill nicely.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had the chicken filet while in the US. We fried it up and put it in a salad. And yes, I checked the wrapper 10 times too because it tasted like Chicken (even my omni husband said so). We do have fake meat in Germany, but nothing as tasty as this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:51 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

We just tried the burgers....look, smell and taste pretty authentic from what I can remember. Grill wonderfully and even look like the "real" thing while grilling. Two thumbs up! I could see my mom not liking them because they are pretty meat-like but if I wanted to impress an omni this would be a good way to go.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wow I just discovered that my local shoprite sells the scallopini & tenders. I'm in love with the scallopini! It is so fantastic for my busy life that they can go from freezer to plate in under 10 minutes and still be edible.

1st I sprinkled them with a bit of flour and pan fried them. Then I put sake, red pepper flakes, italian dried spices, fresh dill, capers, lemon juice and EB in the pan as a sauce. Yum!

Then as the 2nd meal, I brushed them with (bottled) Kansas City BBQ sauce, and threw them on the grill. A few minutes on each side and voila! awesome bbq chickn. I was so happy with that - it actually reminded me that bbq chicken tenders were one of the few things I used to cook before I became veg 18 long years ago. I love how the bbq sauce carmelizes on the grill.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:30 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

We have a restaurant in Memphis — Imagine Vegan Cafe — that uses Gardein as the base for most of their entrees. Amazing! I can't get enough....and their prices are so reasonable even though Gardein is kinda expensive in the store.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:34 pm 
Human Gravy

I wanted to like the veggie burger, but I have decided that I only like veggie burgers that are obviously made of veggies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I had a bite of the "chicken breast" and it creeped me out. Too realistic. From what I recall anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:08 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I feel like the burgers are lacking in texture. They're the first juicy vegan burger I've had and the taste is pretty good but like the beefless thingies, theyre a little too tender.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:01 pm 
Inflexitarian

What do you do with the Tuscan breasts? I looked at their recipes and they're pretty fancy pants. I got the Tuscan ones for 50% off and buy one get one free on mark down. Too good a deal to pass up! Now I don't have any ideas on what to do with them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:52 pm 
Human Gravy

assilembob wrote:
What do you do with the Tuscan breasts? I looked at their recipes and they're pretty fancy pants. I got the Tuscan ones for 50% off and buy one get one free on mark down. Too good a deal to pass up! Now I don't have any ideas on what to do with them.

just throw them on top of some spaghetti with a little marinara (I just like sauce, maybe this is unnecessary).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:53 pm 
Human Gravy

Fee wrote:
I feel like the burgers are lacking in texture. They're the first juicy vegan burger I've had and the taste is pretty good but like the beefless thingies, theyre a little too tender.

The juice freaked me out. I was like "woah, sizzling grease patty".

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love Gardein! The tenders are awesome of course. I love using the beffeless tips in stir frys and beef stews. The scallopini can be made various ways. I have even breaded and fried them and made the most amazing vegan chicken parm! The chipotle tenders are good too, but a bit too spicy for me. The stuffed breasts are really good too. My WF was serving them as part of their holiday vegan catering meal last year. They have one that is supposed to be turkey stuffed with rice and cranberries I think, or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:34 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

None of the refrigerated stuff I tried was any good and the sauces were weird. I love the frozen tenders and the scallopini. I'm one of those people who doesn't mind that Gardein has a similar texture and taste to meat, I just think it tastes good. The beefless burger tasted okay but the texture was off. The burgers also stuck to my grill, so I have to use oil or a non-stick pan to heat them up.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:21 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Oh the stuffed turkey is really good! I had it last year for Thanksgiving and was really pleasantly surprised since I don't normally like the stuffing in most of those fake meaty products. But it's like double the price of the other ones around here, I'm not sure why that is - I think you only get one breast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I tried two of the refrigerated entrees (I think one was Thai curried chicken or something and the other was some sort of tomato sauce-based); I liked the Thai one, but the tomato sauce one was pretty offensive. Then the crispy tenders and the buffalo chicken tenders went on sale, so I impulsively picked those up as well and they weren't so great. I don't know if it was because I was also using the oven to make oven fries, but the tenders didn't crisp up at all--they just kind of turned into a greasy, mushy mess.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:37 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I don't know if the tenders are exactly the same as the President's Choice brand ones but the PC ones are cheaper and taste really good. It says right on the box they are made from Gardein.

What I have discovered works best is to cook them on parchment paper at a temp about 25° higher than the directions and turn over at 14-15 minutes, not 10. Then about 5-8 on the other side.

They usually stock these in the regular freezers next to the standard dead bird chicken nuggets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I usually cook the tenders on parchment paper in my toaster oven combo thingie for about 18 minutes, turning halfway through and they turn out great. I love to make the chipotle lime ones to chop up and put on a salad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:45 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

fatcat wrote:
I usually cook the tenders on parchment paper in my toaster oven combo thingie for about 18 minutes, turning halfway through and they turn out great. I love to make the chipotle lime ones to chop up and put on a salad.

I like those chipotle lime ones on a salad too. Ideally with caesar chavez dressing from AFR & romaine. Luckily my toaster oven has a convection bake setting, and that makes them come out nice and crispy.

The other night I was out of those, so instead I sauteed some scallopini marinated a bit in lite balsamic viniagrette & thyme. Then I had it on salad with more of the same dressing. It was such a SAD diet type of thing (marinating chicken in salad dressing seems just so classic American), but it was so easy and came out really tasty.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:15 am 
Human Gravy

fatcat wrote:

I tried baking the crispy tenders on parchment paper and I have to say, this is the best idea EVER. They came out far more crispy and less greasy than without.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

i 100% back cooking the crispy tenders on parchment

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I saw the Santa Fe Good Stuff (I think that's what they're called?) On sale today, so we tried them for supper. Not bad, they were smoky and a bit spicy. We ate them with a big salad and I'd probably make rice next time too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:20 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

jdfunks wrote:
I'm a bit less freaked out about trying the buffalo now that I've tried the seven grain and realized that they're good (though easily over-baked) and what freaking Veggie Grill - and maybe Native Foods? uses. I know that CA-based, but I'm shocked more people don't mention this connection!

No, I have met both the owners of Veggie Grill and Native foods, and they make thier own faux chicken product. I think both of thiers is better than Gardein though. Similar, but better flavor. But yeah, really similar.

I like the tenders, but too expensive!

I tried the orange chicken last week, with some sauteed broccoli and i really liked it! super fast dinner. and i caught it on sale at target for $3 a bag. Target has really good prices on Gardein and Amy's. They have super huge frozen sections

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've got some of the mandarin chikin. What should I do with it?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Chicki wrote:
jdfunks wrote:
I'm a bit less freaked out about trying the buffalo now that I've tried the seven grain and realized that they're good (though easily over-baked) and what freaking Veggie Grill - and maybe Native Foods? uses. I know that CA-based, but I'm shocked more people don't mention this connection!

No, I have met both the owners of Veggie Grill and Native foods, and they make thier own faux chicken product. I think both of thiers is better than Gardein though. Similar, but better flavor. But yeah, really similar.

I am nearly positive that they have what is like, 98% Gardein before it is branded as Gardein. They both (well, through Native Foods first) had close relationships with what is now Gardein before it went retail.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next