| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: American Vegan Kitchen...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
Tzippy wrote:
lavawitch wrote:
I think I'll have to buy some of those cheap Target red wine cubes to have for this.

I am really curious as to what these are (but we probably can't buy them here, as wine has to be sold in liquor stores in TN).

Target sells wine that they have packaged for them in 4 packs of small 8oz boxes (I think for $5.99, but they go on sale). The wine is actually surprisingly drinkable, but most importantly, its cheap and convenient for cooking when you don't want to open a "real" bottle (ie, one for drinking).

I used a $3.99 bottle from Whole Foods. It was fine for the tempeh marinade, but not drinkable. My dad (who isn't overly picky) said it was a large step below vinegar. I don't know what the regular price was, but it was too high.

The Target wine cubes are made by Sutter Home. I work for a wine wholesaler and we sell them.

For cooking purposes, I always buy a 4-pack of 187mL bottles. I can get about 2 uses out of each bottle, and I cook with wine frequently enough that it doesn't go bad if I half and stick the rest in the fridge.

Post subject: Savory Seitan Trouble-Shooting
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the savory seitan on Wednesday (for the San Fran Frisco Seitan Wraps) and had some issues getting it to cook.

Here's what I did. I mixed together the ingredients as directed by the recipe and then kneaded and let it rest. So far, so good. After that, I rolled out into cutlets and fried each cutlet until lightly brown. Then everyone went into the pan of broth, which I covered with foil and baked for an hour. When the hour was up, the cutlets still seemed raw. I baked for another 20 minutes, then let sit in the pan while I ate the take-out DH bought since the seitan didn't seem to be working. Then I put the cutlets into the marinade and marinated overnight.

Yesterday, I cut up the cutlets and pan-fried them per the instructions for the seitan wraps. They still seemed gummy and under-cooked. I saved them by baking them in a 350 oven for about 15 minutes, which finally firmed them up. (They were still chewy, kind of like I remember a fattier cut of meat being texture-wise).

My question is, is there a step missing from this recipe? If not, what did I do wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:01 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I ended up making the pizza in a big baking ban and it worked out very well. The pizza was delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:12 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I just made the feta recipe. I chose it because it 1)doesn't contain a boatload of salt, 2) doesn't need miso, and 3) doesn't require marinating overnight

I'm not sure if it reminds me of feta at all, probably because it isn't salty at all. this is probably a good thing because I once tried a feta recipe that was so salty it was super gross. But this is a really nice ingredient to use in feta-like ways. If that makes sense?

I'm baking some into focaccia now, with spinach and red onion, but I tasted it on crackers and it's very flavorful and lemony. I'm a fan. I might even mash some up a bit more to eat on toast with a slice of Tofurkey.

I'll make the Greek salad (minus the evil olives) tomorrow for lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I made a wrap with roasted chick peas, tofu feta, cucumber, peppadews, red onion, avocado, and spring mix, with the Greek vinaigrette. The dressing is too strong for me to like in a salad (probably because I overdress my greens), but it's really delicious in a wrap, and probably would be good in a pasta salad. I'm glad I made a double batch of the dressing.

I want to try two more recipes and then move on to another neglected book. Maybe one of the seitan recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:03 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

For those without it, I'll be giving away a copy on the ol' blog.
http://nakedveglunch.blogspot.com/2011/ ... eaway.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:09 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Anyone made the Mexicali seitan (sp?)? Did you like it? I doubt that there's any recipe in this book that isn't good, but I just want to hear what you think, since I'm planning on making it in the next couple of days.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

You may just have have picked the one non-dessert recipe I haven't made there!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:29 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made it! I thought it could use more spiciness (and note that I am a wimp usually about spiciness). (Also, though, there is a slight possibility that the recipe called for some kind of spiciness and I ignored it because I was afraid of it being too spicy.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:57 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm making the three chili hummus this weekend. I recently read a blog post about hummus suggesting that peanut butter be substituted for tahini, for a different flavor. I'm going to try that with this hummus. Chipotle + poblano + peanut butter sounds like a pretty decent combination to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:44 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the mexicali seitan tonight! I thought it was spicy enough, even though I left out the jalapeño, but I'm really sensititive with spicy food... It was really good! I ate more than half of it myself, heh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:40 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Has anyone tried making the chili without beer? We don't have any at home and I'm too young to buy. I'm thinking about maybe using wine or broth instead...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:35 am 
WELFARIST!

Love Child wrote:
I made the mexicali seitan tonight! I thought it was spicy enough, even though I left out the jalapeño, but I'm really sensititive with spicy food... It was really good! I ate more than half of it myself, heh.

Hey I'm making this sometime this week and came to this thread to see if anyone else had tried if, if there were any special suggestions before cooking, etc. Awesome, now I can't wait to try it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:04 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm addicted to the French dressing in this book. I think I've made it every day this week. Everything in AVK is so delicious.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The French onion soup is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Maybe it depends on the brand, but our pastry had to cook like double the time she suggests though, even rolled pretty thin.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:32 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

creep wrote:
The French onion soup is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. Maybe it depends on the brand, but our pastry had to cook like double the time she suggests though, even rolled pretty thin.

I got new oven proof soup bowls for Xmas, so it's firmly on my list to try.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:34 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Made the seitan and then the meatloaf. Perfect comfort foody texture. Good flavors. A+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:05 pm 
Huffs Nooch

The tuna-free noodle casserole is seriously one of the tastiest things I have ever eaten. You HAVE to try it if you have this book. I also really like the smoky cauliflower and white bean soup, and I slice up Tofurky kielbasa and add it. The everyday french toast with sweet spread was also delicious. This book has a lot of winners!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:11 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Bella Luna wrote:
The tuna-free noodle casserole is seriously one of the tastiest things I have ever eaten. You HAVE to try it if you have this book. I also really like the smoky cauliflower and white bean soup, and I slice up Tofurky kielbasa and add it. The everyday french toast with sweet spread was also delicious. This book has a lot of winners!

Totally agree about the tuna-free casserole - I've served it to many friends from vegan to omnis and all have loved it! I'll have to check out the cauliflower and white bean soup - I don't remember seeing that one...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Also a fan of the tuna-free casserole and cauliflower soup. I actually haven't made anything from this book that I didn't REALLY like/love except for the ribs, but I think that was probably my bad. Cooked or kneaded too long.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:44 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Made the deep-fried avocado wedges this weekend. Holy crepe! Yummy and rich. Ate them with homemade salsa and chipotle cream. I second the sentiment that everything I've made from AVK has been great!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:35 pm 
WELFARIST!

You guyses Im eating the Italian Linguine with Seitan and Mushrooms and Peppers right now and it's so good, it hurts. Also, Depeche Mode was playing in the background as I was plating it and the music seemed suitably majestic for its delicious taste. And...I really don't like seitan! ZOMGZ....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm 
Nailed to the V

That Smokey Cauliflower Soup is a hit! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the gyros last weekend and OMG, they are amazing. I love that seitan. I used leftovers in a shepherd's pie later in the week.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:13 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Cinnacrunch Muffins for a bake sale this weekend with lots of non-vegans attending, and they went over really well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next