| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

have you successfully used FAM
yes, as contraception 35%  35%  [ 28 ]
no as contraception (we were abstaining during fertile phase) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
no as contraception (we were using condoms during fertile phase) 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
no as contraception (we were taking risks during fertile phase) 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
no as a pregnancy aiding method 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
yes as a pregnancy aiding method 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
other 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 80
 Post subject: Re: the Fertility Awareness Method thread - birth control +
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:43 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

allularpunk wrote:
It's official - the blood test was positive! Thanks for all the good vibes!

Hooray! Behold the power of charting! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:22 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

yaaaayyyyyyy!

(have you changed your answer to the poll? :-p)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:18 pm 
WELFARIST!

Ha, I had never actually answered it. Just did!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:55 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Congrats! I kept taking my temp every morning for like a month because I still couldn't believe it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:18 am 
WELFARIST!

ha! i've been doing the same thing! i'm terrified that i'm going to miscarry, so i keep taking it to make sure it's still high.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:30 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

supercarrot wrote:
@chiveggie wow. yeah, spotting isn't usually clumpy. i hope this is just a symptom of withdrawing from your artificial hormones. i'm guessing you weren't spotting this much/at all when you were on the nuvaring? is it really dark, or is it watery light pink but clumpy? does it fill the entire panytliner or does it stay in one place usually?

blood clots are actually a side effect of the nuvaring http://www.drugs.com/cdi/nuvaring-ring.html
i'd give a call to the nurses at your GYN and just mention it. they might want you to come in to rule out any dangerous things. (blood clots are no laughing matter.) of course coming from your uterus it's kind of normal, but still. not during that part of the cycle.

the (usually light watery) spotting is from the egg bursting through the ovary wall, so it shouldn't be releasing that much blood, unless you possibly have a platelet issue.

it's possible that your uterus is still sensitive to the external hormones and is just shedding at times of change to your natural hormones. were you on the nuvaring for a while? does the spotting occur during the first few days of your temperature rise?

Sorry didn't reply before leaving for a 2 week vacation. Thanks for the info. While on the nuvaring I sometimes had the dark clots during my period, but never in the middle of a cycle. I mentioned the spotting to my last OB and she didn't seem concerned and mentioned that it might take a few months for my body to adjust, but she also didn't ask many questions about what I meant by spotting either. I had to ask specific questions of her whenever I wanted information which is one of the main reasons that I decided to switch to a new practice (which has MDs and Midwives) but the new practice doesn't want to see me until I am pregnant. This next cycle will be my first trying to get pregnant - of course now that it is finally here I am freaking out about it. If things are so weird this month again I'll call the new place, even though I'm not technically one of their patients yet.

On another note, looks like I missed some exciting news on here! Congrats allularpunk!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:13 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I started charting again because my periods have been crazy random for almost a year and I'm trying to get a handle on what's going on. I went from having a fairly regular 28-30 day cycle to going three months with no period last fall and since then it's been really random. I'll be on my normal cycle and then go 40-45 days. I'm starting to suspect that it's perimenopause which would forking suck because I'm only 35.

So yeah, charting again. My cervical fluid has been inscrutable so I'm focusing on temps right now. I'm on day 21 with no ovulation in sight. Come on ovaries, why you gotta be like this?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:29 am 

:-( wikipedia says 35's about right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perimenopa ... imenopause
you might want to also pay closer attention to firmness and height of your cervix if your fluids aren't working for you.

yet another reason to look forward to mr. carrot's snippety-snip. (when i was starting to chart, i would regularly have 42 day cycles, but recently it's luckily been relatively stable.)

also, i've been spotting for 2-3 days around DPO 8 (and menstruating at 12-13) this month it was thick and brown. :-/ (but not heavy and i hadn't gotten crampy yet) it's so weird.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:49 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Hi thread. I just requested Taking Charge of Your Fertility for inter-library loan and I've been reading a bit online because I am sick and goddamn tired of freaking out every month that I might be pregnant. I have a history of severe anxiety that's messed with my cycle before, so it's been really inconsistent before. I took the morning after pill four or five months ago because of a tiny, probably-nothing scare, and since then my period has been particularly erratic, and I barely PMS at all* so it's difficult to tell whether I should worry or not when I have an instance where I'm a day or two late. Like today, for example. We're going to continue using condoms, I just need something else for peace of mind.

*Never in the ten-ish years I've been menstruating did I ever think I would complain about this.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:52 pm 

welcome! i hope you get some peace of mind. <3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

so I didn't temp while on vacation for 2 weeks, but when I got home I started again. My temp was up when I got back so I figured I O'd relatively on schedule (which should have been the 2nd day of vacation or day 23 - I have had 35 day cycles since ending birth control) - I figured things might have been delayed a few days due to the stress of the initial trip over which was delayed 12 hours total. It's now day 43 and my temps are still high. We prevented while on vacation, but stopped when we returned. One because our plan was to start trying upon our return, and two because I figured I was about to get my period. I took one pregnancy test on day 38 just in case I accidentally got pregnant while on vacation and that was negative. Because I have two weeks without temps Fertility Friend can only say that I O'd between day 11 and day 36-so helpful. I'm trying to be patient and wait until day 48 before I test again (12 days after the end of the time frame Fertility Friend gave me) but I'm really starting to wonder. Grr wish I would have charted while on vacation so I knew what to expect right now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't like vacation charting!! I'm not sure what to think of my temps. My average temp at 7 am pre-ovulation is 97.5. I'm on vacation days 14-17; I normally ovulate between days 15 and 18. First two mornings away I woke up at like 6 and my temp was 97; I was also freezing cold. I took my temp and went back to sleep until around 9. This morning I took my temp at 6, it was 97.2; turned the heat on, went back to sleep for an hour and my temp was 97.8. Which temp do I use?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:58 pm 

i hate vacation charting too. :-(

i would use 97.4 for this morning's temp. (since being active can skew the temps, even though it was just to turn on the heater.) using the "temp rises 1 degree for every 1/2 hour you sleep in" thing. just in reverse since you negatively slept in. :-)

but still, indicate the vacation on the chart, so you don't take the temps 100% seriously.

i used to live part time at my parents' house and part time at mr. carrot's apartment when i was first charting. i had no pattern, it was awful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:32 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
i hate vacation charting too. :-(

i would use 97.4 for this morning's temp. (since being active can skew the temps, even though it was just to turn on the heater.) using the "temp rises 1 degree for every 1/2 hour you sleep in" thing. just in reverse since you negatively slept in. :-)

but still, indicate the vacation on the chart, so you don't take the temps 100% seriously.

i used to live part time at my parents' house and part time at mr. carrot's apartment when i was first charting. i had no pattern, it was awful.

I only reached my arm above my head. :P

This morning at 6:30 it was 97.7, so, I dunno, still seems to be up, at least more so than the previous few mornings. This is annoying. A month I'd actually like to know when/if I ovulated and things are completely wacky.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Aaaand back up above 98 today, so, definitely ovulated. I never go above 98 before my luteal phase. Now I sit and wait a few weeks and see if anything happened.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:20 pm 

for posterity. <3

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13850
rabidchild wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Congratulations! You just started trying in July right? Very efficient!

Thanks! Actually... this was our first month. I've been charting for 5. This sort of adds to me being stunned. We were expecting 3-6 months of trying.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
for posterity. <3

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13850
rabidchild wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Congratulations! You just started trying in July right? Very efficient!

Thanks! Actually... this was our first month. I've been charting for 5. This sort of adds to me being stunned. We were expecting 3-6 months of trying.

Heh. Still sinking in!! I feel like my period is gonna start any day now... 20 yrs of habit is hard to break!!

Damn, actually, got pregnant in the month of my 20 your anniversary of getting a period. There must be some kind of significant somewhere...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:05 pm 

you remember the month you got your first period??? i could probably estimate, but i definitely can't be positive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:49 pm 
Dead by dawn

supercarrot wrote:
you remember the month you got your first period??? i could probably estimate, but i definitely can't be positive.

April 14, 1984. That's not a guess. :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:25 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:

It was RIGHT before my 12th bday, therefore, August.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:39 pm 

dudes! :-)

ok, well i know i used a pantyliner that totally didn't do the job, and i was in girl scouts, and was friends with someone who had hers for quite a while, and girl scouts was held in the basement of a church, so i had to change it in a dingy bathroom. it was probably 7th grade, maybe 6th? (i'm so much better with abstract ideas than concrete.)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

monkeytoes wrote:
supercarrot wrote:

April 14, 1984. That's not a guess. :P

I remember the date of mine too :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:07 pm 

most useful spam comment ever!!!

sternenstaub, if you come back to read the replies, can you give more information? we're mostly english speakers here, and the youtube video is in german and also has no other information on where to buy the sensor (it just explains how to open and close the capsule), nor how you get the data. (is it transmitted over the air to a computer, or do you need to remove the chip from it's capsule and insert it to a reader of sorts each time you want to observe the data?) this would be great for women who have irregular sleep schedules!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:51 pm 
Dead by dawn

FAM spam!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:02 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

From what I read in the german NFP Forum, you have to take the thing out of the capsule and stick it into some USB device that you can connect to your computer. A guy from this forum developed the system, with the software and such. This is the website: http://basal.endotherm.ch/ (which seems to have an "english" button, but it does not work? Hmmm...) Currently, the developer is testing a little device where you stick the iButton in, and later you can put all the data on your computer. For me, far too much work, I note down my temperatures on paper and fill out the online version every two weeks or so. But it could be a good alternative for people who have disrupted sleep cycles, either through work or because there is a little child not letting them sleep...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next