| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Delicious Jamaica!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I just recieved this book but have not had the time to look through it. Anyone have it and can make recommendations? Or give general hints?

Thanks!

eta:
I should probably add the link so everyone can see which book I mean
http://www.amazon.com/Delicious-Jamaica-Vegetarian-Cuisine-Healthy/dp/1570670218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310738804&sr=8-1

Post subject: Re: Delicious Jamaica!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:41 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I actually own this book, i got it last month. I have a hard time figuring out what to cook from it becsause even tho im jamaican their r certain things that i've just never heard of in the book and a lot of the recipes dont have descriptions of the recipe. I really love porridge and her porridge recipe seems very standard so that might b good to try for breakfast. I wish i could b of more help, this post makes me realize how many cookbooks i own that i've yet to cook out of. BTW if your looking to try more caribbean food there's a book by Taymer Mason called caribbean vegan and everything i've made out of it has been great, she also has a blog with recipes.
The Blog: http://caribbeanvegan.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:14 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Lily wrote:
I just recieved this book but have not had the time to look through it. Anyone have it and can make recommendations? Or give general hints?

Thanks!

eta:
I should probably add the link so everyone can see which book I mean
http://www.amazon.com/Delicious-Jamaica-Vegetarian-Cuisine-Healthy/dp/1570670218/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310738804&sr=8-1

Probably need to buy this book....thanks for this link

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:04 am 
Not NOT A Furry

veggiegurl wrote:
I actually own this book, i got it last month. I have a hard time figuring out what to cook from it becsause even tho im jamaican their r certain things that i've just never heard of in the book and a lot of the recipes dont have descriptions of the recipe. I really love porridge and her porridge recipe seems very standard so that might b good to try for breakfast. I wish i could b of more help, this post makes me realize how many cookbooks i own that i've yet to cook out of. BTW if your looking to try more caribbean food there's a book by Taymer Mason called caribbean vegan and everything i've made out of it has been great, she also has a blog with recipes.
The Blog: http://caribbeanvegan.wordpress.com/

Thanks for that. Actually I'm aware of Taymer's blog and book as she is also a PPKer. I've bookmarked some recipes from her blog I think. And the book is also on my wishlist, like a ton of others. Sigh.

And yes, I also need to use the books I already own more.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I've had this book for a few years and it has a lot of good recipes. I don't cook from it as often as I should. My copy is in storage due to moving so these favs are from my foggy foodie memory:

Ben Johnson Vegetable Stew - this is the Jamaican version of everything but the kitchen sink stew - a stew you make the day before market day when you have little bits of everything but not much of any one thing

Jerk Tofu (the moist jerk seasoning with barley malt) - the flavours are exceptional

Jamaican Yam Run Down Casserole - a great side dish with lots of options to improvise

Jerk Potatoes - fast and fablous

Turned Cornmeal - good cornmeal/veg dish but I always leave out the okra (not a fan)

Number Eleven Mango Chutney - while this recipe will work with any mangos - the number eleven mangos have a distinct and not-so-sweet flavour for the chutney

Mango Cobbler - wonderful alone or with coconut icecream (eg Vcon's variations) - pick a mango variation that is smooth not stringy (eg. Julie or Bombay).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Great, thanks a lot for that! I just took a closer look at the book and found many recipes that looked inviting. Although it is probably not very well suited for unexperienced cooks as the cooking instructions are fairly short and basic (which is fine for me, I just wanted to let anyone who is new to cooking ad may be interested in the book)