| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 169  Next
 Post subject: PSPTYHWAEPACTYP thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:57 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Here is where you can whine about your first world problems, get it out of your system, and move on. Advice, co-whining, commiserating, and kvetching are all acceptable in this thread.

Me, I'm getting a new bed today, but I'm whining because I need bedding and I can't find any that I like within my budget. (Actually, I haven't even seen anything I like that's outside my budget, either, though.)

And I'm also whining because I can't decide whether I can afford to go to the store today and buy a bunch of food things that I want but don't really need (popcorn, ice cream, juice, sesame oil...) or if I really need to wait till grocery day and keep it to things I actually need.

Okay, done whining, your turn!

Post subject: Re: First World Problems
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:01 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Almost forgot...this thread requires MC Frontalot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:02 am 
Married to the wolfman

As I expect to soon start getting pregnancy fat, I need to acquire some work appropriate larger/more belly spacious clothing. It is a pain in the asparagus to find maternity clothing that is 1. office appropriate, 2. not super low cut/frilly/otherwise designed to make me feel uncomfortable, and 3. not super expensive.

This is doubly a first world problem because I HAD maternity clothing-- some of which I could have worn in a work setting-- from my first pregnancy, but I didn't _like_ it, so I gave it away.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:10 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

The guy putting new windows in my house didn't put the blind in the bedroom back up last night so it was too bright for me to sleep past 9am!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:21 am 
WRETCHED

I still feel jet lagged from my visit to the west coast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:28 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

coldandsleepy wrote:
It is a pain in the asparagus to find maternity clothing that is 1. office appropriate, 2. not super low cut/frilly/otherwise designed to make me feel uncomfortable, and 3. not super expensive.

I'm with you on this one.

Here's what I've done to handle the office-appropriate thing so far, and it may work for you...I've bought nonmaternity dresses (sometimes in slightly larger sizes than normal) with forgiving cuts/fabrics and wear cardigans over them. This has also been a million times cheaper than the prices I've seen for anything maternity. It is still working for me, and I'm 27 weeks and was nowhere near thin before this pregnancy.

I don't have any of my old maternity clothing either...my youngest is 5 and this pregnancy was unexpected, so everything has been donated, consigned, or otherwise given away long ago!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:53 am 
rowdily playing checkers

I can't get dysentery to save my life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:57 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

mad cravings for ice cream, specifically soft serve.

also, my free world of warcraft trial will end soon, and i've become more fond of the game than i had hoped i would be.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:05 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

a few months ago my husband backed into our garage with the subaru and broke a piece off the back of the car. I now am contemplating keeping it broken so it's easier to find in the sea of subarus in every parking lot in Oregon but am afraid it looks trashy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:11 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

The guy delivered my (teeny tiny) washing machine during the exact half hour when Mike was out of the house yesterday, and now he has to go pick it up and will whine about it, and I didn't get to wash all my underpants last night as planned.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:12 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I love that you started this thread, choirqueer!

Today's pay day, and I'm trying to decide what I can buy and what I should hold off on. I would like to buy an iPod shuffle or a pair of Raybans and to get a manicure/pedicure and eyebrow wax, but I need to do a bigger grocery shopping trip this week as last week was bare minimum, and I really ought to get the oil changed in my car (I'm still within the mileage limits based on my last oil change, but it's been much longer than the three months or whatever; I don't drive much). I'm trying really hard to work within my budget, and today's the first day that I have a little extra wiggle room, so of course instead of saving it like a good doobie I want to spend! I can hear husband telling me to save it, that I don't need anything, which is true. Thus, first world problems.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:12 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

A band I really like have announced a UK tour date in a city near me but I can't go because I'll be in Vienna seeing a band I've wanted to see for years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:15 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

For you guys (well, ladies) needing maternity clothes, can you sew at all? I used goodwill + t-shirt material + extra wide elastic for some $6 maternity pants that didn't come up to my boobs (I'm very short). Here's a tutorial list. I'm sure some take minimal stitching ability. And not that it helps now in 90 degree weather, but if you're early along right now, inexpensive "normal" sweaters worked great for me and even went back to shape so I can still wear them!

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2010/0 ... undup.html

My complaint is that I've felt really awful for at least a month. Even just cooking makes me exhausted beyond belief but I feel stupid going to the doctor saying I'm tired but it's really starting to worry me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:16 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Aliks wrote:
a few months ago my husband backed into our garage with the subaru and broke a piece off the back of the car. I now am contemplating keeping it broken so it's easier to find in the sea of subarus in every parking lot in Oregon but am afraid it looks trashy.

Figure out how much money it would cost to fix the car. Then spend that amount on something else! (That's what I'd do.)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:17 am 
Married to the wolfman

Amethyst, that is about what I'm trying to do this time around-- just buy larger normal clothes and make it happen. But that's a pain too, because I'm about 1-2 sizes beneath plus size normally, so buying 1-2 sizes up puts me in that range, which seems to make it a lot harder to find nice used clothing which is about what I have money for. (I did find some nice office pants on closeout for $7 at Lane Bryant today!)

I wanted to just do dresses/leggings this time around because lots of people have told me that works, buuuut I have to go out on a factory floor as part of my job and there's a strict no dress on the floor rule. (Which I think is stupid as hell because 1. how are leggings different from pants and 2. I wear a labcoat over it anyway so how would anyone know and 3. I go out on the floor maybe twice a day and spend most of my time in the office-y areas.)

My new first world problem is that laughing at just mumbles on the internet made me choke on my apple.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:26 am 

ALSO, I have a 20% off coupon for City Sports (a sporting good store, but they carry the Ray-Bans that I want) and I'm not sure what to use it on! The horror!

It's only good on non-sale items, and Ray-Ban isn't listed specifically as one of the off limit brands, but I probably shouldn't spend the money on something I don't NEED (even if I want and it's 20% off).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:30 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

coldandsleepy wrote:
I wanted to just do dresses/leggings this time around because lots of people have told me that works, buuuut I have to go out on a factory floor as part of my job and there's a strict no dress on the floor rule. (Which I think is stupid as hell because 1. how are leggings different from pants and 2. I wear a labcoat over it anyway so how would anyone know and 3. I go out on the floor maybe twice a day and spend most of my time in the office-y areas.)

I can solve this one too! When you go out on the factory floor, take off your dress! You can just wear the leggings...or you can put the labcoat on too if you really want to cover your upper half

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I can't decide whether to get my current watch repaired or buy a new, entry level automatic watch. It would cost about the same, but my current watch was expensive (by my standards, not watch standards). But I've always wanted an automatic watch... But my current watch was a birthday gift a few years ago... Decisions!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:38 am 

zwingtip wrote:
I can't decide whether to get my current watch repaired or buy a new, entry level automatic watch. It would cost about the same, but my current watch was expensive (by my standards, not watch standards). But I've always wanted an automatic watch... But my current watch was a birthday gift a few years ago... Decisions!

What do you mean by automatic watch? What kind of watch is the old one? (Sorry to be so curious; I really like watches. And consumption, made obvious by this thread...)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 am 
Level 7 Vegan

ndpittman wrote:
zwingtip wrote:

What do you mean by automatic watch? What kind of watch is the old one? (Sorry to be so curious; I really like watches. And consumption, made obvious by this thread...)

Automatic self-winding mechanical watch. The kind that works off the kinetic energy of wearing it. The old one is a Swatch Windfall/Irony/whatever (one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Swatch-YCS410GX-W ... B000KIE11Q). It's a lovely watch, but the rubber bits on the bracelet keep breaking (this seems to be a common problem) and mine is missing one of its timer buttons and has a large crack in the glass (I may have worn it to fencing every day). The one I'm considering replacing it with is this: http://www.mrwatch.com/Seiko_SNK801K_wa ... 72046.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:47 am 

zwingtip wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
zwingtip wrote:

Automatic self-winding mechanical watch. The kind that works off the kinetic energy of wearing it. The old one is a Swatch Windfall/Irony/whatever (one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Swatch-YCS410GX-W ... B000KIE11Q). It's a lovely watch, but the rubber bits on the bracelet keep breaking (this seems to be a common problem) and mine is missing one of its timer buttons and has a large crack in the glass (I may have worn it to fencing every day). The one I'm considering replacing it with is this: http://www.mrwatch.com/Seiko_SNK801K_wa ... 72046.aspx

Wow--sounds like a decent amount of repairs! Could you get an estimate on it and then decide? I think I'd keep the watch for sentimental reasons, but get the Seiko for wearing every day.

ETA: Not that you're looking for advice; just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:50 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

choirqueer wrote:
Aliks wrote:

Figure out how much money it would cost to fix the car. Then spend that amount on something else! (That's what I'd do.)

I am really good at doing this! I probably will tomorrow with my biweekly appointment at the mall with my sister where I pretend I am a trophy wife.
Pregnant ladies-it's all about belly bands. They saved me so much money the last time around! You can also use them after you have the baby to cover up the jiggly belly while under the shirt nursing. I sometimes contemplate buying them in a smaller size now that I am smaller to cover up the cave that is my belly button that appears when I wear a thin shirt.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:51 am 
ol' garly cooch

I just found out from my physician's office that the Holter monitoring device I wore for the last 30 days found nothing-(duh) and wearing that pain in the asparagus thing that cost 4k was a waste of time.

I have health insurance, so it really wasn't 4k. It was more like $197.00, which still breaks the bank.

My right turning signal is out and I have to use my hand to signal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:19 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

When I stopped at the gas station this morning they were like out of all change except nickles so I had to get a ton of nickles. I hate nickles. I sometimes just put them in the regular compartment of my purse so I won't reach into the change compartment and accidentally grab them. fork nickles, man.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:32 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The $25 case for my smartphone has officially broken. This means that it's done its job, because I've dropped my phone pretty hard and if the case hadn't broken, the phone would have, but it still makes me grumpy that I have to buy a new one. And I'm pretty mad at myself for being so clumsy.

I guess I have a Twitter now

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4209 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 169  Next