| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 85  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:24 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

littlebird- I felt your pain! My daughter was in that prewalking stage for awhile too ( It felt like MONTHS!). Emma decided to start walking independently a few days after turning 16 months. Luckily, she waited until her Daddy got home from work to do so! Earlier that day, I saw her walk across the room twice. But when he got home, she started walking around the kitchen and didn't stop. We were ecstatic! Did Tzippy do this sort of bear walk a few days before walking independently? That was adorable when Emma did it!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:34 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

haha, she totally did. i kept putting her in dresses to make crawling awkward (gosh, i'm such an awful mother) and she just did the bear walk instead. she's been capable of walking across a room for a couple weeks too... but it would be so painfully slow and cautious, it was driving me nuts!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:40 pm 

That's how Emma was. I think I am more relieved that she is SO cautious versus being no holds barred and injuring herself every 5 seconds. Gosh, I love that bear walk!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:50 am 
Married to the wolfman

Yay Tzippy!!

No advice on the shoes though. Grey has oddly shaped feet-- not particularly wide but very um, tall? Fat in the up direction? So we have basically had to buy him the one brand that we can find in a store that fits... Which, of course, aren't vegan. (Pedipeds, for the record.). He wore the same pair for the first 6-7 months he walked and they're still in such good condition that we can use them for newbaby, which I take some comfort in.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:37 am 
Bathes in Braggs

yeah, we have some pedipeds too. handed down, so i haven't had to buy them yet, and currently she's right in between sizes. the ones i really loved were a stride rite kind with a totally flexible light sole and a really cute style, but they didn't have her size. the kind we ended up with were non-vegan stride rites with a slightly thicker sole than i like.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:47 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

She won't ever listen to me. I feel like I shouldn't even bother yelling ever. I know it is normal to have a kid that basically ignores me unless she wants something but the people in my life make me feel like a terrible parent. fork them, we're free spirits! *paints her toenails while her daughter draws on the wall*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:29 pm 

We also got Emma's shoes at Stride Rite. It stinks they aren't vegan. Someone would make a fortune if they made good quality vegan baby shoes!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

coldandsleepy wrote:
Grey has oddly shaped feet-- not particularly wide but very um, tall? Fat in the up direction?

This made me laugh so hard!

So, the night before I went into labor I scalded my stomach with vegan jello that I was making to take to the hospital and got these gross little blisters all over the left side of my belly. And they left scars. Scars which turned six months old yesterday and are still there full force! Gross. But what makes me laugh is that when it happened (on my giant pregnant belly) they were down pretty low and now they are up high, like almost under my ribcage. Skin is so weird.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:10 am 
Inflexitarian

coldandsleepy wrote:
Yay Tzippy!!

No advice on the shoes though. Grey has oddly shaped feet-- not particularly wide but very um, tall? Fat in the up direction? So we have basically had to buy him the one brand that we can find in a store that fits... Which, of course, aren't vegan. (Pedipeds, for the record.). He wore the same pair for the first 6-7 months he walked and they're still in such good condition that we can use them for newbaby, which I take some comfort in.

Tall feet are officially the cutest thing in the world!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

You guys made me nervous that I was going to have to buy leather shoes, so I just looked online. I see vegan shoes on the pediped website...so is it just that they aren't fitting your kids?

Like these, look like fabric and rubber to me: http://www.pediped.com/Products/Grip-n- ... GG940.aspx

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:16 am 
Married to the wolfman

Those are the ones we have! He had that exact color for his first pair, and now a different color of the same in a larger size. I was under the impression that some part of them is leather-- part of the strap and part in front of the toe-- but maybe it's synthetic. You can launder them, so, maybe.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:34 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ha funny. They are cute! I looked at them again and wondered about the trim you mentioned (before reading your post), since it looks like leather. Do they have those symbols on the inside that adult shoes have, with an outline of an animal skin if it is leather?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 am 
Nooch of Earl

Have you all had bad experiences with Isabooties? Because that was my plan...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 am 
Married to the wolfman

annak - I'd love to try Isabooties but I can't find them in a store anywhere, and like I said, the Emperor has oddly shaped feet and there's just no point in buying him shoes we can't try on first. We tried seriously every brand we could find in stores before finding the Pedipeds that fit... very tedious.

I'll check on the inside of the Pedipeds tonight and see if they have any more info on the leather/not leather status! I would freaking love for them to be stealth vegan shoes, because everything else about them is great.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:40 am 
Grandfathered In

annak wrote:

Christ! She makes shoes now too?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:59 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

the daycare seems to frown on soft-soled shoes... they walk to the park everyday and spend a lot of time outdoors so they don't really believe a soft soled shoe will hold up. the only reason i bought shoes at all was for daycare. we go barefoot or in soft-soled cloth shoes most of the time, but they really wanted her to have a "real" shoe. and the cheap non leather ones i could find make her feet sweat like crazy or are kind of badly designed and stiff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

FootFace wrote:
annak wrote:

Christ! She makes shoes now too?

This was my first thought, we should know by now there's nothing she can't do!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 am 
And you never will.

annak wrote:

We just bought a pair for poopiebaby. When I looked at their website there was VERY limited stock (like, three designs, and only limited sizes in those designs). I went ahead and ordered, then saw a comment on their facebook page asking why they were going out of business (I couldn't see anywhere that stated they were, but they haven't posted on their facebook page in months and their stock is low, so who knows?).

Anyway, a week after ordering from them, I sent them an email to ask if they'd received my order, since I'd heard nothing from them. A week later, I got a response saying yes, sorry, they would send out my order in the next couple of days. Another full week later, it finally shipped. They seem nice (they're still a little too big for poopiebaby's feet and won't quite stay on), but I'm a little worried that if I hadn't emailed, they would never have sent them. I certainly didn't expect to wait three weeks for my order to ship when ordering directly from a supplier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:57 am 
ol' garly cooch

Since becoming a parent, I'm more sensitive than usual to news stories that involve children. I cannot take knowing that those horrible things happen and the last few major story headlines have made me very, very depressed.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:23 pm 
Inflexitarian

jewbacca wrote:
Since becoming a parent, I'm more sensitive than usual to news stories that involve children. I cannot take knowing that those horrible things happen and the last few major story headlines have made me very, very depressed.

I have trouble with bad news anyway and since the day I found out I was pregnant I've been just like you, I immediately turn off news stories that involve children even teenagers I just can't take it. There was a story of a teenager who was murdered by her boyfriend and the father came on tv sobbing and I just lost it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:16 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

jewbacca wrote:

I feel the same way. I have been in a funk for the last 24 hours since reading this most recent awful thing and thinking about those poor parents. I wish I could filter the news so that I did not have to hear/read about those sorts of things.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:04 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I hear you guys about the child related news stories... I even have trouble watching/reading fiction where bad things happen to kids now.

I'm amazed how long these stories stick with me now too. Way longer than they used to. Like for instance (spoilered in case you don't want to be upset by this too):

Spoiler: show
About three days after we got home with the Emperor after his birth, I iwas reading a piece in the New Yorker about the wildfires in Australia a few years ago. At some point, the author described the remains of a family in a house-- eight adult skeletons which were in a circle around what was obviously a baby skeleton. It's been two years since I read this and I still forking cry every time I think about it, I'm tearing up just typing it out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:08 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

coldandsleepy wrote:
I hear you guys about the child related news stories... I even have trouble watching/reading fiction where bad things happen to kids now.

Me too. I can never watch Trainspotting again because of what happens to the baby.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

amethyst wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:

Me too. I can never watch Trainspotting again because of what happens to the baby.

We rented The Road after it came out and I lost it. I don't think I made it more than 15-20 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:20 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I actually watched The Road, but I cried through almost the entire thing. I don't know how I made it through that one.

Reply to topic  [ 2122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 85  Next