| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boston! I need a studio apt or a cool veg*n roommate
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:00 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

If anyone knows of any decent and cheap studios in the Boston area or someone looking for a roommate, let me know! I don't care where I live as long as it is on a subway line and small dogs are allowed.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

Post subject: Re: Boston! I need a studio apt or a cool veg*n roommate
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 am 
Saggy Butt

I used to live in East Boston and, while the rent is cheap and you can get apartments really close to the blue line, I still wouldn't recommend it. Our neighborhood was okay, but there are some bad areas.

You could check out the Allston/Brighton area on the B line, though. That tends to be cheaper, though it's full of students if that's a concern. Will you have a car? If so then you can drive to your job (Red Lentil, right?) pretty easily from there.

I don't know of any specifics places, but hopefully this will help.

ETA: Don't forget that even if you're not convenient to a T line, the bus system in Boston is actually pretty good, and you can get to a lot of places that way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:18 am 
Level 7 Vegan

gato wrote:
You could check out the Allston/Brighton area on the B line, though. That tends to be cheaper, though it's full of students if that's a concern. Will you have a car? If so then you can drive to your job (Red Lentil, right?) pretty easily from there.

I loved living in Brighton. (Right on the line where Brighton meets Allston and Brookline, both of which I also recommend... though I think Brookline apts are pricy.)

When are you looking to move? I'll keep an ear out for you! Also, try the BVA website--I don't know about recently, but there used to be a lot of people who used the forums there to try to find other vegan roommates.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:45 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Yea! I don't have anything to add, but I'm excited for you! I'll keep my eyes peeled. Have you ever considered living in sunny Jamaica Plain? That might be a pain commuting though... Brighton actually wouldn't be bad at all, and the Whole Foods there is already open, so there's that... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:22 pm 
Cranky

A friend of mine lives in Eastie, and if I'm staying in the Boston area that's where I'll probably move next. People say all kinds of nasty shiitake about Everett (where I am now), but it's not true.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:55 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dr. Apricot wrote:
A friend of mine lives in Eastie, and if I'm staying in the Boston area that's where I'll probably move next. People say all kinds of nasty shiitake about Everett (where I am now), but it's not true.

yeah, I never really believe it when people talk shiitake about bad neighborhoods, from what I've seen of Eastie it's definitely unwarranted, and it's still pretty cheap by Boston standards.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:46 pm 

I kind of like Eastie. A friend of a friend had a gorgeous ground level studio with back yard access that looked out onto the water. I went to a party there, and I kind of wanted to move in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:44 am 
Saggy Butt

I guess maybe I should rephrase my comment to be less of a blanket statement :).

Some parts of Eastie are definitely okay (where I lived, Orient Heights, was definitely not bad at all) but there are some areas around the Maverick neighborhood that are not good. One of my friends had a condo there and eventually moved because she started fearing for her safety (drive bys, etc.)

That said, Jeffries Point, which is technically in the Maverick neighborhood, is nice, on the water, and has a couple parks that are close by.

So I guess I should amend my earlier statement to be: I wouldn't recommend Eastie unless you do some serious research to make sure you're not moving to a dangerous neighborhood.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:43 am 

+1 Jeffries Point! I think that's where I'm talking about. Although, I found myself rather intoxicated at the party (my first shot of tequila!) so I had to leave my car there overnight. When I went back to pick it up the next day, there was a dead bird lying on the windshield by the window wipers. I felt like it was some kind of a sign of a curse or something, for leaving my car there. So, you know, watch out for witches, unless you're into that sort of thing (not that there's anything wrong with that).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

You should come live in Somerville! I'm moving there in September.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:57 pm 
Tofu Pup

you should just hang out with me in allston when you move

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:32 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I lived in Allston till I got unemployed and I really liked it. People talk crepe about it all the time because of all the students, but I enjoyed it. I lived in Lower Allston, just over a foot-bridge from Harvard Ave, and I thought it was great. I was near tons of bus routes, just over a mile walk from Harvard Square, a little less than a mile and a half to Central Square (and easy access to the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's on Memorial Drive!), and a little under a half mile to the B line. Plus I biked a lot, and it was a great area for that.

The students can get obnoxious, but that's just life. There's tons of great places in the area--Grasshopper, Peace o' Pie, Deep Ellum, among others--and I like living an active area. I miss living in Allston and once I get a job, I would not be surprised if I moved back.

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ugh I'm apt hunting now with my bf and it's rough, we applied for a place in Fenway but didn't get it. Looked at some places in Allston Friday but they rent so early there for the students that it seemed like everything good was already taken, and the places we saw were crappy and expensive.

One thing to watch out for in Boston, especially in student areas, is that they will often start showing your place really early in the year to students. I have a tiny crappy studio in Mission Hill right now and my management company, Alpha, sucks and started letting realtors show it in January. So be careful who you rent from, and check out reviews of management companies online. I think we're going to look in Southie and Dorchester now, and possibly JP. I like pretty much all areas of Boston so it's tough to narrow it down, hopefully will end up with a decent and cheapish place.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:24 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've lived in quite a few different hoods since I moved up here in 2006. Started off in Allston which is cool if you don't mind the noise, the rats and the donks who wear knit caps in the middle of summer. But seriously, it's close to pretty much everything, including awesome food. The B line sucks balls though, no doubt.

Next, I lived in Somerville. Not cool Somerville. But the part of Somerville that earned it the name Slummerville. Two days after I moved in there was a shoot-out around the corner and when I Google'd my address, I discovered a dude had been fatally shot in a driveway three houses down the previous summer. BUT. It was soooo cheap and the apartment was actually really nice and right on a bus line to Lechmere. Also, I never felt unsafe there - those were definitely out-of-the-ordinary goings-on. Plus, wherever you live, you're also pretty close to Porter and Davis Squares and even Harvard Square. I liked it a lot.

Then, I did a brief stint in Melrose. To be honest, this was my fave hood. Because deep down inside, I'm a rich elitist WASP who likes to have the privilege of 18 different nail salon options on one street. Sike. It was very white and suburban, which definitely made me uncomfortable, but it was super duper quiet, very close to the end of the orange line and really cheap. Tons of parks, easy to get around (and into town) via bike/T and I also lived there when Pulse Cafe was still there, which ruled.

Then I lived in Quincy. Don't live in Quincy.

Now I'm in JP and it's awesome. I'm about 2 minutes from Fiore's Bakery, which has great vegan sandoozles and hit-or-miss vegan zerts. Totally bike friendly, the orange line is always a few minutes away (okay, up to a 10 minute walk) and the people are weird, but not obnoxious. The prices are oookay, not dirt cheap but not crazy either. I'm actually about to move in to my own place by Stony Brook - a 5 min walk to the new Whole Foods!

So yeah. I've been around and would recommend all of the places mentioned. Except Quincy. Just depends what you're into.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:15 pm 

sadsackzack wrote:
I've lived in quite a few different hoods since I moved up here in 2006. Started off in Allston which is cool if you don't mind the noise, the rats and the donks who wear knit caps in the middle of summer. But seriously, it's close to pretty much everything, including awesome food. The B line sucks balls though, no doubt.

Next, I lived in Somerville. Not cool Somerville. But the part of Somerville that earned it the name Slummerville. Two days after I moved in there was a shoot-out around the corner and when I Google'd my address, I discovered a dude had been fatally shot in a driveway three houses down the previous summer. BUT. It was soooo cheap and the apartment was actually really nice and right on a bus line to Lechmere. Also, I never felt unsafe there - those were definitely out-of-the-ordinary goings-on. Plus, wherever you live, you're also pretty close to Porter and Davis Squares and even Harvard Square. I liked it a lot.

Then, I did a brief stint in Melrose. To be honest, this was my fave hood. Because deep down inside, I'm a rich elitist WASP who likes to have the privilege of 18 different nail salon options on one street. Sike. It was very white and suburban, which definitely made me uncomfortable, but it was super duper quiet, very close to the end of the orange line and really cheap. Tons of parks, easy to get around (and into town) via bike/T and I also lived there when Pulse Cafe was still there, which ruled.

Then I lived in Quincy. Don't live in Quincy.

Now I'm in JP and it's awesome. I'm about 2 minutes from Fiore's Bakery, which has great vegan sandoozles and hit-or-miss vegan zerts. Totally bike friendly, the orange line is always a few minutes away (okay, up to a 10 minute walk) and the people are weird, but not obnoxious. The prices are oookay, not dirt cheap but not crazy either. I'm actually about to move in to my own place by Stony Brook - a 5 min walk to the new Whole Foods!

So yeah. I've been around and would recommend all of the places mentioned. Except Quincy. Just depends what you're into.

I think you're going to be living close to me! Two votes for JP! Yea!! (I kind of can't wait for the WF--don't tell my friends at the Feed.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:31 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quarantined wrote:
I have a tiny crappy studio in Mission Hill right now and my management company, Alpha, sucks and started letting realtors show it in January. So be careful who you rent from, and check out reviews of management companies online.

I've heard from SO many people to never rent from Alpha!

VFR - will you have a car in the city? If so, then you might not want to live in the North End with me... it is probably one of the worst places to park. I'll still check in with my landlord on Gizmo :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:46 am 

But if you do have your car, JP wouldn't be too bad of a commute (maybe?). Sorry, I'm a JPusher.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

ndpittman wrote:
But if you do have your car, JP wouldn't be too bad of a commute (maybe?). Sorry, I'm a JPusher.

I've heard awesome things about JP. Only I've also heard it's a black hole-once you go, anyone outside will never see you again.

Watertown actually has cheap-ish rent too, so keep an eye out for there as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:37 pm 

I randomly really like Watertown. I don't know much about the area by Red Lentil though. But I've spent some time around the Target/Boston Sports Club area. Actually that's probably why I like it, good associations--Target, beautiful BSC branch, played softball there, know an awesome couple who live there.

lillianp--it's true about JP. I feel bad even inviting people out here in some ways. I'm like a 10 minute train ride from Back Bay, but people are like, OH MY! I've never been there so it must be at the end of the world. There are a lot of things that make it worth it though. (I've lived in JP for 7+ years, so I'm a little biased.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:21 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Pi. wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
I have a tiny crappy studio in Mission Hill right now and my management company, Alpha, sucks and started letting realtors show it in January. So be careful who you rent from, and check out reviews of management companies online.

I've heard from SO many people to never rent from Alpha!

yeah I can't stress enough how much they suck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:03 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My first instinct is to recommend not Watertown, but that's probably because I grew up there. If you do end up moving there, the MDC path by the river has it really nice over the years and parking is easy. Also, it has Red Lentil and RUSSO'S (you will never go to Whole Foods for produce again they have every vegetable imaginable). So, on second thought, try Watertown. Watertown's biggest problem is lack of diversity, but that's been improving. I had a hard time there as a kid being neither Italian nor Armenian, but it really depends on where in Watertown you live.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Ha. Apparently I can't read. Ignore what I said about Red Lentil.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 pm 

I got an apartment! It's in Watertown, literally a 5 minute walk to the Lentil which is awesome bc I work such long hours it will be easy for me to run home at least 2x a day to take Gizmo for a quick walk. Im not bringing my car, I sold it to Jeremy, we are sharing it until I move though and I will always have access to the company van if I need it. And I have my sweet cruiser bike!

It's tiny and it's not a typical studio set up, but it's the first apartment I've ever rented alone so I'm so excited! And I will hardly ever be there so space isn't an issue. I've always lived with boyfriends, parents or roommates so this is a whole new adventure for me! The best part is that I will be so much closer to you all!

AAhhhhh so excited!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Congrats!

Whee Watertown buddies.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:53 pm 

THanks! do you still live in Watertown?!