| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Work-related stress and anxiety
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Lately, I've become so anxious about work that I'm starting to feel sick. It's only been for the past two days, and it almost seems excessive. Here's a quick rundown:

I work as a project coordinator in psychological research. It's a lot of responsibility because I'm the only person in charge other than the researcher. She just meets with me about 1 time every two weeks to give me some instructions or news. Then I'm in charge of this huge federally-funded research project, in charge of managing 6 or more students who collect data, in charge of meeting deadlines, ect.

I get away with working about 4 hours a day, but getting paid full time. So from the outside, it looks like a sweet deal. And for the most part, it's not too bad. I've been doing it for a year and a half.

But recently, ALL the assesors left and I had to hire and train 4 new ones. And I'm having trouble getting people to move at the pace I need to, especially to meet deadlines. And I just learned that next year I am going to probably have to find, hire and train 10 more people who happen to have cars and are willing to work part time. I'm getting so upset that I feel like crying and I feel like I'm not good at my job. That a good leader would know what to do and I just don't have those skills.

I just don't know what to do people. Do I need a vacation? Is this normal? Am I just having a bad week or am I not cut out for my job? I have no one to talk to about it because my "team" is just me and my boss! Maybe I just need to hear from people who feel the same way or have been through the same thing. I just don't want to feel sick to my stomach anymore.

Post subject: Re: Work-related stress and anxiety
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey! We have the same job! And I totally feel your pain. Some days I feel like my job is perfect, and I'm really having a lot of fun doing it so it doesn't feel like a big deal. Other days I feel like I could puke from the pressure. I've also been here about a year and a half.

I have the added fun of being program coordinator, which means I manage several studies at once and then deal with all the other things no one else has time to do. I often have to make my own competing deadlines. Fun Fun!!

I guess I don't have any advice, just wanted to let you know that us other coordinators feel what you're feeling. I'm sure you'll get throught it and make all your deadlines, and you are probably more appreciated than you feel at times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:15 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks superherogirl, that makes me feel better. I'm managing 2 projects at the same time, but I think I'm going to get lucky this fall and one is going to fall to the wayside because we can't get schools to be cooperative.

I just hate the uncertainty, you know? And the pressure of knowing that if anything goes wrong, theres really only one person to blame...me!! I didn't really get any training on how to run a research project, so sometimes I feel inadequate. But my boss keeps telling me I'm doing a great job...so I guess I should take a few deep breaths and listen to what she says.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:26 pm 
Ignore this!

In grad school (in psychology) I had some research assistantships that sound similar to your job, and I remember feeling the way you do. Sometimes I'd think I had the sweetest deal, other times it was overwhelming and I felt really inadequate and worried about failing.

One thing that helped me was documenting the efforts I made on goals that I wasn't sure I could meet. For example, if you have to hire and train 10 part-time people, keep a file documenting everything you do in this regard, so that if you only end up finding six people or whatever, you have documentation that it's due to factors outside your control (lack of applicants, lack of people accepting offers, whatever) so you don't feel like a failure. It was helpful for reminding me that I could only do what I could do, and doing my best didn't necessarily guarantee the outcome that everyone was hoping for.

It sounds like you're doing a great job, so this kind of documentation isn't really for the purpose of defending yourself, more just for your own peace of mind. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I used to work as a research assistant. The job was so easy and dumb it made me miserable. I am a million times happier not working there, Psych research seems sweet, but its not. So my vote is to quit or stop caring.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:25 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

rocklobster wrote:
I used to work as a research assistant. The job was so easy and dumb it made me miserable. I am a million times happier not working there, Psych research seems sweet, but its not. So my vote is to quit or stop caring.

But, on the other hand, I really do love what I'm doing so much (despite the stress) that I'm trying to go back to school for a PhD in clinical psych (see the grad application stress thread). Of course, maybe I'm just naturally a high-stress person and I can't help myself.