| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan cupcakes to full sized cakes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:26 am 
Tofu Pup

I have volunteered to make wedding cakes for my brother in laws wedding!

I invited them around and make cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. They loved all four of the cupcakes that I made so they want me to make a four cakes for a four teared cupcake stand!

This was great news until I tried to make the biggest cake, a 12 inch Apple Cider Cake (from page 131), it did not cook in the middle. I looked on the internet and it said that you should cook at the same temperature (180degrees) but for longer when converting cupcake recipes to cake recipes. I tried this, I cooked it for 50minutes the first time (in our oven which is a bit unreliable) and then 45 minutes the second time, in my parents oven which is new and reliable! Both times the outside baked mostly but the inside did not.

I did not change the recipe, just made double the amount. Does any one know what I should do? I was going to try 170degrees for 45 minutes, but not sure that this will work?!?! The wedding is in 3 weeks and I need to get this right, along with 6 inch versions of Golden Vanilla Cupcakes with lemon, Brooklyn Brownie Cupcakes and Peanut Butter Cupcakes!!

They will not have cupcakes because the bride's brother had cupcakes at his wedding last year!

Please help me!!

Thanks in advance,

Davina

Post subject: Re: Vegan cupcakes to full sized cakes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:12 am 
Impressive boner

I double and tripe the recipes sometimes to make larger cakes. I usually start by baking for 40 minutes and then testing every 10 minutes with a cocktail stick, to see if the inside is done. I don't think I've ever baked anything for more than an hour.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:53 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't know timing -- I usually start with original baking time +10 minutes, and then just keep checking for bounce back or stick a toothpick in the middle to see if it's dry until it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

From the baking faq thread,
Quote:
How do I convert cupcakes into cakes?
One batch of cupcake batter makes 1 round cake (either 8" or 9"). If you want a thick 9" cake, then use 1.5 batches of cupcake batter. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes longer than you would bake the cupcakes for, and test for doneness - you want to make sure they're cooked all the way through.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:57 am 
Tofu Pup

Thanks Guys, would you stay at the same temperature? What would you suggest if the middle is not cooking, cook for longer? The wooden stick was coming out clean, so was confused when it was not cooked! : S