| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:17 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1956
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsbBKkY4 ... re=related - whatever lola wants by sarah vaughan

fork yes. definitely my favorite song this week.

another favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5VaBgXzuM - i want to be evil by eartha kitt

what's your favorite?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:04 am 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 388
Location: London, but Boston
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34SQflHIbv0

_________________
Moderately Important


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:08 am 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:31 pm
Posts: 545
Location: Olympia, WA
Some of these aren't "oldies" but are older songs (to me anyway), spanning a few decades:

I'm not a big fan of earlier beatles songs but this one is good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVlr4g5-r18

Funky, sexy, and I love it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkJFodl9I1U

Equally hilarious and wonderful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hphwfq1wLJs

A favorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q96-e042bk

_________________
I think my heart just exploded into a shower of glitter --TinLychee


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:05 am 
Offline
ol' garly cooch
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:41 pm
Posts: 2828
Location: Kashyyyk
boogie shoes- KC and the Sunshine Band

_________________
I'm not dead, just sick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:03 pm 
Offline
Naked Under Apron
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 1690
Location: Ravenclaw Tower
]Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones.

I love young Mick Jagger. He is is one hot muffin.

_________________
And we all learn a lesson - don't taste mystery batter off the floor - it could be toxic. -Petunia


Writing Praying Vegan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:20 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 665
Location: Koninkrijk der Nederlanden
Every time someone asks me this it's always the same answer for me. You can just leave off the "right now" as far as I'm concerned. :)

Total Eclipse of the Heart. There isn't even any competition.

_________________
Yeah it’s two R’s, h-o-r-r... yeah, right.
"So something ripped him open and ate out his insides?" "Like an oreo cookie! ... well, except for, you know, without the chocolaty cookie goodness."
DON'T WARN THE TADPOLES!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:27 pm 
Online
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12182
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I love Lesley Gore. She was lot more than a one hit wonder (It's My Party).

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:29 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5564
Location: A New England
It depends on what you mean by "oldies," but I can never get enough of Cass Elliott singing Dream a Little Dream of Me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWZfKcYlefE

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 504
yeah what do you mean by oldies?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:02 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1956
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
well, it's up to you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:04 pm 
Offline
Not NOT A Furry

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:29 pm
Posts: 504
Ok then, i'm busy right now but ill list you a fair few songs that are old and of different genres later. It is hard to pick one so you'll get a few!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:06 pm 
Offline
Memorized Veganomicon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:44 pm
Posts: 100
Location: the middle
Mr. Blue Sky by ELO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98P-gu_vMRc

it ALWAYS puts a smile on my face and gets me all dance-y.

_________________
New Veganing
"I like Chomsky, Noam sayin'?" - Peter Serafinowicz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:06 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm
Posts: 1956
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
AutumnLeaves wrote:
]Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones.

I love young Mick Jagger. He is is one hot muffin.


this is definitely another one of my favorites. and that video is EPIC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:25 pm 
Offline
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 3129
Location: BKLN
Dr. Horrible wrote:
Every time someone asks me this it's always the same answer for me. You can just leave off the "right now" as far as I'm concerned. :)

Total Eclipse of the Heart. There isn't even any competition.


i can't accept that any song that came out while i was alive could be an oldie. this thread is going to make me feel like i've fallen and can't get up.

i'm going with "you rascal you":

http://beiderbecke.typepad.com/tba/file ... al_you.mp3

_________________
"rise from the ashes of douchebaggery like a fancy vegan phoenix" - amandabear
"I'm pretty sure the moral of this story is: fork pants." - cq


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:26 pm 
Offline
Has gasoline in her veins
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 3332
Location: pdx
EVERYTHING by Stevie Wonder. <3

_________________
"I rebuke this thread in the name of Jesus." -Jagadeesh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:31 pm 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8593
Location: Maryland/DC area
Dr. Horrible wrote:
Every time someone asks me this it's always the same answer for me. You can just leave off the "right now" as far as I'm concerned. :)

Total Eclipse of the Heart. There isn't even any competition.


Umm... I wouldn't call that an oldie :)

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:31 pm 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5132
I'm gonna go really old and give you some swing, baby!

Count Basie "One O'Clock Jump": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQi4jglT0Vo
^ this particular linked version lacks the full body of the song I'm used to
but you get the idea. The orchestration seems a bit thin. You need a Spectoresque "wall of sound" version to appreciate its awesome rockiness.

Bunny Berigan "I Can't Get Started": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Uqdtzztmg
It's all about his trumpet for me.

Tommy Dorsey "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67XIT6f0KDE

And for a bluesy bent, the Lady in Satin, Billie Holliday, "You've Changed": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-JOUyQtX0w

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:38 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:59 pm
Posts: 57
My all time favorite oldie:
Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers- "I'm not a juvenile delinquent"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGmXb1xe ... =1&index=3
I can't get enough of this song. It's the b-side to "Why do fools fall in love" which I also love but this song has so much more going on.

Fall puts me in a Motown type of mood these are two of my favorite songs from that label.

The Marvelettes- "Too many fish in the sea"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKQbpSLW ... re=related

the Temptations- "Psychedelic shack"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOrNXZ7huno

Lesley Gore is also my shiitake, I love her. "Judy's turn to cry" is an awesome follow up to "It's my party". She came out of the closet years after those songs came out which makes you wonder if she really cared that much about the party to begin with (I kid, I kid).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 pm 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:22 pm
Posts: 419
Location: Shillington, Pa
I normally despise country music, but lately, I've been really into the old-school type songs. Lots'a Hank Williams and Johnny Cash. This is the cutest song ever [in a depressing country sort of way]: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xu71i89xvs

_________________
True anarchists defy the law of gravity- Adam Kingsbury
Have I yelled Death to the Patriarchy today? -Pandacookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 767
Location: Central Virginia
seitanicverses wrote:
I'm gonna go really old and give you some swing, baby!

Count Basie "One O'Clock Jump": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQi4jglT0Vo
^ this particular linked version lacks the full body of the song I'm used to
but you get the idea. The orchestration seems a bit thin. You need a Spectoresque "wall of sound" version to appreciate its awesome rockiness.

Bunny Berigan "I Can't Get Started": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Uqdtzztmg
It's all about his trumpet for me.

Tommy Dorsey "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67XIT6f0KDE

And for a bluesy bent, the Lady in Satin, Billie Holliday, "You've Changed": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-JOUyQtX0w


Swing forever! Great choices.

Love Skye and Frida dancing to Look-A-There http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jf_AIasUuc

Glenn Miller's In The Mood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJE-onnw2gM

Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n92ATE3IgIs

Glenn Miller's A String Of Pearls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUljW_s50I

Benny Goodman's Down South Camp Meeting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6JWlv4a3Qw

Gene Krupa's Sing, Sing, Sing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9J5Zt2Obko

_________________
You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:35 am 
Offline
WELFARIST!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Posts: 5132
MacroVegan wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
I'm gonna go really old and give you some swing, baby!

Count Basie "One O'Clock Jump": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQi4jglT0Vo
^ this particular linked version lacks the full body of the song I'm used to
but you get the idea. The orchestration seems a bit thin. You need a Spectoresque "wall of sound" version to appreciate its awesome rockiness.

Bunny Berigan "I Can't Get Started": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0Uqdtzztmg
It's all about his trumpet for me.

Tommy Dorsey "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67XIT6f0KDE

And for a bluesy bent, the Lady in Satin, Billie Holliday, "You've Changed": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-JOUyQtX0w


Swing forever! Great choices.

Love Skye and Frida dancing to Look-A-There http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jf_AIasUuc

Glenn Miller's In The Mood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJE-onnw2gM

Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n92ATE3IgIs

Glenn Miller's A String Of Pearls http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUljW_s50I

Benny Goodman's Down South Camp Meeting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6JWlv4a3Qw

Gene Krupa's Sing, Sing, Sing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9J5Zt2Obko

Yay! I have some more swing to add later. Some Artie Shaw Begin the Beguine and Frenisi <3 and Charlie Barnett's Skyliner. Bunny Berigan's playing Marie with Tommy Dorsey's band with more awesome trumpet solos. I just love swing music. If I could time travel, I would love to see the big bands live! I think it would have been an awesome surroundsound orchestral experience! I was totally thinking of Glenn Miller stuff too <3 <3 <3

_________________
"I'm sorry! I'm Canadian!"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:18 am 
Offline
Because Bob Barker Told Me To
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:54 pm
Posts: 945
Location: Nashville
all the Beatles songs
Fox on the run, Sweet
Rock Me Gentley, Andy Kim
Dancin Queen, Abba
Oh Child, Spriral Starcase
Wild Horses, Rolling Stones,
just to name a few


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:43 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10685
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
good ol' gary puckett and the union gap. i guess this was before adult/child relationships were so taboo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn0ZJHVH17I

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:50 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm
Posts: 3941
Location: Edinburgh
"Oldies" makes me think 50s/60s pop. (Which reminds me, the last time I was in TX, I heard U2 on the classic rock station and felt super old.)

If we're just going with anything older than ourselves, I love love love Nina Simone. This just reminds me that I need to upload it some Nina Simone.

And maybe a bit of Chicago (from the days when they were rockin').

_________________
A pie eating contest is a battle with no losers. - amandabear


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: what's your favorite oldies song right now?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:59 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:37 pm
Posts: 998
Location: Oaktizzle
bruteface wrote:
My all time favorite oldie:
Frankie Lyman and the Teenagers- "I'm not a juvenile delinquent"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGmXb1xe ... =1&index=3
I can't get enough of this song. It's the b-side to "Why do fools fall in love" which I also love but this song has so much more going on.


That's exactly the song that popped into my head when I saw this thread title. Watching Pink Flamingos a couple weeks ago must have had that influence.

_________________
Goddamn that Rick Santorum has a pretty mouth. -sameness


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer