| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peas and Thank You
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:50 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I finally got mine! Slow UPS guy. Anyone made anything yet? I'm too busy laughing at the descriptions.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Post subject: Re: Peas and Thank You
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:13 pm 
Spent a summer in Brisbane, hated it

I've just been reading through it first before I decide what to make. She is a funny chick!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't made anything yet either, I plan on adding a few things to our meal plan/shopping list next week.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:21 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago. I'm excited.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:12 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm undecided about this one. I do love her blog, but there's so many great-looking vegan books out there, it's hard to go for a veggie one unless it's really special. And I can't see inside it to tell! I'll keep an eye on this thread, see if people really love it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

akasha wrote:
I'm undecided about this one. I do love her blog, but there's so many great-looking vegan books out there, it's hard to go for a veggie one unless it's really special. And I can't see inside it to tell! I'll keep an eye on this thread, see if people really love it.

It seems to be nearly vegan. She does suggest honey as an alternative to agave and organic cow's milk as a milk alternative.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:21 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've got the book now and the recipes don't jump out on me as much as they seemed to on her blog. The recipes are all vegan, but she does use a lot of vegan 'cheese', which I'm not actually a massive fan of. In her book though she does say that they're mainly vegan, so I'd assume that on occasion they do eat dairy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:32 am 

I've got the book now and the recipes don't jump out on me as much as they seemed to on her blog. The recipes are all vegan, but she does use a lot of vegan 'cheese', which I'm not actually a massive fan of. In her book though she does say that they're mainly vegan, so I'd assume that on occasion they do eat dairy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:47 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

wowetflutter wrote:

Her girls and hubby are vegetarian, she's vegan. I wrote to her and asked about the dairy thing, because one of the other bloggers reviewing her cookbook used butter in the recipe, and I had forgotten that she usually says you can sub dairy if you so choose. She replied that she didn't want to limit the scope of the book, and that even if people end up going vegetarian it is better for their health and animal welfare. While I can no longer fathom eating dairy at all, I do see her point in that every meatless Monday is still a positive, and making this lifestyle accessible to more people means fewer meat-centric meals for omnivores, and that's still a win.

And the reply was so humble and sweet. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan! And yet, too lazy to go to the bookstore to pick up my copy of the book... Hmm... I'm really looking forward to it though--reading through it for her humor as much as the recipes! I think I like it because I tell a lot of 'dad jokes' myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:20 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I love Mama Pea's blog and was excited to get the cookbook. At first I was a little unsure about it since it does include the dairy alternative, but more because there are several recipes that include vegan cheese or pre-made sausages which I prefer to stay away from. However, I do think that any change towards a vegan diet is a big step in the right direction for anyone to embark on. I really appreciate Mama Pea's efforts to make this shift more appealing and less frightening to more people. I think her book does a great job with this.

That being said, I've made the lime tahini sauce, the crazy good hummus, and the barbeque sauce so far. All three are good, but the hummus and barbeque sauce are out of this world. I'm addicted to them completely and am already trying to think of more ways to eat them morning, noon and night. I might leave out a bit of the salt in the hummus next time though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:13 pm 

I am waiting for this to come in at my library! I will try the lime tahini sauce, that sounds good. Any other recommendations?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:33 pm 

ndpittman wrote:
wowetflutter wrote:

Her girls and hubby are vegetarian, she's vegan. I wrote to her and asked about the dairy thing, because one of the other bloggers reviewing her cookbook used butter in the recipe, and I had forgotten that she usually says you can sub dairy if you so choose. She replied that she didn't want to limit the scope of the book, and that even if people end up going vegetarian it is better for their health and animal welfare. While I can no longer fathom eating dairy at all, I do see her point in that every meatless Monday is still a positive, and making this lifestyle accessible to more people means fewer meat-centric meals for omnivores, and that's still a win.

And the reply was so humble and sweet. Needless to say, I'm a huge fan! And yet, too lazy to go to the bookstore to pick up my copy of the book... Hmm... I'm really looking forward to it though--reading through it for her humor as much as the recipes! I think I like it because I tell a lot of 'dad jokes' myself.

I totally understand where she's coming from with listing alternatives, because some people may (who aren't vegan) be put off by soy milk or soy cheese so I get that, but I'm not really a fan of using soy cheese at all, so I'd have preferred it if some of the recipes weren't so reliant on that, but that's just me. I still think it's a good book and I love her blog.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:09 pm 

wowetflutter wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
wowetflutter wrote:

I totally understand where she's coming from with listing alternatives, because some people may (who aren't vegan) be put off by soy milk or soy cheese so I get that, but I'm not really a fan of using soy cheese at all, so I'd have preferred it if some of the recipes weren't so reliant on that, but that's just me. I still think it's a good book and I love her blog.

Understood. I still haven't picked up my copy! Frown! So I can't truly comment on the amount of cheeze used. I enjoy Daiya, but it's on the list of things I eat in moderation due to...um... digestive consequences.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:23 pm 

It arrived while I was on vacation. I will be home in a few hours and look at it then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:43 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I think there's some wiggle room in her veganism; I've noticed a couple things.

I'm interested to hear what people think about the book though. I haven't made anything from her blog yet, but I'm kind of dying to make these vegetable quesadillas.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Amy wrote:
I think there's some wiggle room in her veganism; I've noticed a couple things.

].

True. I've seen this stuff too. Normally this would drive me nuts, but I think since she repeatedly talks about being new to veganism and says that her family is in transition, I can overlook it. This book just strikes me as a really good gateway for families towards veganism. Such simple recipes, and she makes it all seem really easy and doable for busy moms. I haven't made anything yet though, so my opinion may change!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:18 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

OOh, I like reading her blog but i've never made anything from it. That being said, looks like some yummy stuff. I might hold out and see if the library gets it so I can have a flick through before I commit - I've already got two others that are in line to be bought...argh!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I can see the alternate ingredient approach being very useful and friendly. I would have used cheese etc as a vegetarian, but I definitely would have been encouraged to start experimenting with the vegan subs, and that would have helped push me to transitioning. Even to vegetarians, vegan cookbooks can seem intimidating.

It is win-win, as far as I can tell, though I'm sure plenty of vegan purists will scoff and sneer.

I just found her blog through book discussion and I like it. Her writing style is breezy and cute and I found some recipes that I want to try.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the chewy energy bars today! Had a house full of 12 & 13 year old boys and they devoured them. I loved them too, although mine came out much more cakey than her picture (not a bad thing). Silas liked the first bite then freaked when he saw chocolate and refused to eat any more. What kind of kid hates chocolate?!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:35 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

He hates chocolate? People hate chocolate? I wish I hated chocolate :D

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:38 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Kelly wrote:
I made the chewy energy bars today! Had a house full of 12 & 13 year old boys and they devoured them. I loved them too, although mine came out much more cakey than her picture (not a bad thing). Silas liked the first bite then freaked when he saw chocolate and refused to eat any more. What kind of kid hates chocolate?!

Ha! I didn't know there was anyone who didn't like chocolate. Like her blog and the energy bars look very interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Wait so are there actually a ton of recipes that require vegan cheese? That's surprising since I would consider myself a close follower of her blog (okay, I've read the whole thing) and I never noticed a ton of cheesey recipes. Not close to "a lot" anyway.

I'm broker than broke right now, so no Peas for me, but I'm really excited about it still

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Fee wrote:
Wait so are there actually a ton of recipes that require vegan cheese? That's surprising since I would consider myself a close follower of her blog (okay, I've read the whole thing) and I never noticed a ton of cheesey recipes. Not close to "a lot" anyway.

I'm broker than broke right now, so no Peas for me, but I'm really excited about it still

I wouldn't say a lot! Just a handful, really. I rarely buy cheese and I'm not deterred at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:
He hates chocolate? People hate chocolate? I wish I hated chocolate :D

He's only had it a few times so I'm sure he'll realize what he's missing at some point. You should have seen the drama when Shae accidentally gave him a sip of sprite instead of water last weekend. Kid thought he was being offed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 am 

My cousin's husband doesn't like chocolate. It's the weirdest thing ever.