| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Seattle] Dining Guide
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:23 pm 
Grandfathered In

I'm having Juliano's tonight. And we got take-out from there last night too. Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:42 pm 
Dead by dawn

Anybody have any breakfast recs? I'm looking for an omni place to breakfast with biker boy (still trying to pass myself off as low maintenance! We're a month in and so far, so good but I think he's bummed that there are a few of his favorite restaurants that he can't really take me to. If dining out with me is generally easy, though, I feel like that disappointment will fade.)

I used to go to the Blue Star in Wallingford when I was vegetarian and they do have a tofu scramble and really good home fries. They have veggie sausage on the menu (Morningstar, boo egg whites!) and soy cheese (some damn brand with casein, what's the point of that? to cater to your vast lactose-intolerant clientele?!) Anyway, when they emailed me and told me the sausage and cheese weren't vegan, I suggested Field Roast (support a local company!) and Daiya. And they responded really well. The manager thanked me for my brand suggestions and said she'd talked to her supplier today. She said she really recognized the need for a vegan cheese option and that there'd be menu changes soon.

BUT, soon doesn't mean by Saturday! I'm good with scramble and potatoes if no one has any better suggestions. At least it's filling, they can add whatever veggies I want the the scramble and I don't have to make a huge production out of it. But I'm open to other options, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

monkeytoes wrote:
Anybody have any breakfast recs? I'm looking for an omni place to breakfast with biker boy (still trying to pass myself off as low maintenance! We're a month in and so far, so good but I think he's bummed that there are a few of his favorite restaurants that he can't really take me to. If dining out with me is generally easy, though, I feel like that disappointment will fade.)

I think this page has been mentioned before, and I look at it all the time when I'm trying to figure out breakfast with my omni boyfriend. It's a huge help!

The omni-friendly ones that we've both enjoyed a lot are 5-Point Cafe and Cafe Venus. They're both delicious. Portage Bay Cafe isn't listed on the site, but I actually found their tofu scramble to be really tasty (if a bit overpriced) and I think they have a couple of other vegan options as well.

Have fun on your date with biker boy!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:59 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

monkeytoes wrote:

cafe flora is my go to spot for brunch with omnis so i don't have any recommendations. but be forewarned that flora recently cut a lot of their vegan options off the menu for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:06 pm 
Dead by dawn

cherryblossom wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

I think this page has been mentioned before, and I look at it all the time when I'm trying to figure out breakfast with my omni boyfriend. It's a huge help!

The omni-friendly ones that we've both enjoyed a lot are 5-Point Cafe and Cafe Venus. They're both delicious. Portage Bay Cafe isn't listed on the site, but I actually found their tofu scramble to be really tasty (if a bit overpriced) and I think they have a couple of other vegan options as well.

Sweet! I kind of love being able to rattle off a couple of choices, let him pick, then have something to order. I should start a database of vegan-friendly omni restaurants to have at the ready.

So, breakfast then Ramones. :P If I land this guy, I owe it all to you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:52 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

monkeytoes wrote:
cherryblossom wrote:
monkeytoes wrote:

Sweet! I kind of love being able to rattle off a couple of choices, let him pick, then have something to order. I should start a database of vegan-friendly omni restaurants to have at the ready.

I have no advice for breakfast (since I always go to Wayward), but have a good date! And I think you should start a database of vegan friendly omni restaurants. I would use it!

I am a liar! I have been to Sunlight on Roosevelt and they have some options, but I wasn't impressed.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 pm 
Grandfathered In

Not a big fan of Sunlight. The restaurant or the electromagnetic emanation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:56 pm 
Dead by dawn

katiejayne wrote:
And I think you should start a database of vegan friendly omni restaurants. I would use it!

All right, people, lay it on me! Anywhere you can think of in Seattle* where you've been able to order off the menu. I think talking to the server about doing something not on the menu and getting a plate of steamed vegetables doesn't count. Ordering something on the menu that is either vegan or VERY easily modified ("I'd like the ____ without ____, please") counts. If you know what dishes specifically are vegan or very easily veganizable, let me know. I'm not saying I'm going to get anything together soon, but I'll work on it. I'm super spoiled in that my family is always up for a vegan restaurant, but for visitors with omni friends/family, people whose friends suck, and daters a good list of omni places could be really useful.

In no particular order and without any details, I have gleaned the following from this thread, Vegan Score's breakfast post and my tired, tired brain:

Blue Star
Bang Bang Cafe
Cafe Venus & Mars Bar
5-Point Cafe
Healeo
Linda's Tavern
Redwood
Portage Bay Cafe
Bluebird Ice Cream & Tea
zpizza
Moonlight
Cherry St Coffee
Mexico
Pan Africa
Wild Ginger
Turnpike
Razzi's/Romio's Pizza
Wayward Coffee House
Tilth
Full Tilt
El Chupacabra
India Bistro
Juliano's Pizza
Taste of India
Maharaja
Jewel of India
Annapurna Cafe
Tidbit Bistro
Homegrown
Zum Zum
Root Table

*outskirts are probably OK, but I'm not going to try to get a ton of info about the Eastside or anything. If you know somewhere amazing in Bellevue, good, I'll put it on there. Just not going to be my priority.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

monkeytoes wrote:
katiejayne wrote:
And I think you should start a database of vegan friendly omni restaurants. I would use it!

All right, people, lay it on me! Anywhere you can think of in Seattle* where you've been able to order off the menu. I think talking to the server about doing something not on the menu and getting a plate of steamed vegetables doesn't count. Ordering something on the menu that is either vegan or VERY easily modified ("I'd like the ____ without ____, please") counts. If you know what dishes specifically are vegan or very easily veganizable, let me know. I'm not saying I'm going to get anything together soon, but I'll work on it. I'm super spoiled in that my family is always up for a vegan restaurant, but for visitors with omni friends/family, people whose friends suck, and daters a good list of omni places could be really useful.

In no particular order and without any details, I have gleaned the following from this thread, Vegan Score's breakfast post and my tired, tired brain:

Blue Star
Bang Bang Cafe
Cafe Venus & Mars Bar
5-Point Cafe
Healeo
Linda's Tavern
Redwood
Portage Bay Cafe
Bluebird Ice Cream & Tea
zpizza
Moonlight
Cherry St Coffee
Mexico
Pan Africa
Wild Ginger
Turnpike
Razzi's/Romio's Pizza
Wayward Coffee House
Tilth
Full Tilt
El Chupacabra
India Bistro
Juliano's Pizza
Taste of India
Maharaja
Jewel of India
Annapurna Cafe
Tidbit Bistro
Homegrown
Zum Zum
Root Table

*outskirts are probably OK, but I'm not going to try to get a ton of info about the Eastside or anything. If you know somewhere amazing in Bellevue, good, I'll put it on there. Just not going to be my priority.

Yay! Database! Perhaps a Google doc?

I feel like I am forgetting places that I have eaten before. Husky Deli in West Seattle has Field Roast for sandwiches.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

monkeytoes wrote:

Aww! It sounds like you've pretty much landed him already. Good luck, and have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:30 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Oooh, keep me in the vegan friendly omni restaurant database loop! My only friend in Seattle is not open to going to vegan-y places.

Also, I second the 5 Point. Their servings are huge!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:09 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I have to be around Pioneer Square for a brief couple of hours one afternoon. What neighborhood listed in the first post would that correspond to? Is that just downtown?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:16 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

yep, pioneer sq is part of downtown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

excellent, thanks. The picard will have to wait for the return trip.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:31 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Kittee and I want to know where we can eat at a delicious Seattle restaurant that will allow us to bring our darling dog, Vee.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:58 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

chaco canyon is the only place that comes to mind. they have outdoor seating and gluten free items!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:30 pm 
Grandfathered In

Well, there's 2 Chaco Canyons now, right?

The one in the U District has some tables outside, I think.

The one in West Seattle? No idea.

FootFace: 1
Helpfulness: 0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:40 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

true.
i haven't been to the west seattle location because it's in west seattle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:07 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

FootFace wrote:
Well, there's 2 Chaco Canyons now, right?

The one in the U District has some tables outside, I think.

The one in West Seattle? No idea.

FootFace: 1
Helpfulness: 0

There's one in West Seattle!? I want to go there. My brother and sister-in-law live near there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:32 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

monkeytoes wrote:
katiejayne wrote:

Blue Star
Bang Bang Cafe
Cafe Venus & Mars Bar
5-Point Cafe
Healeo
Linda's Tavern
Redwood
Portage Bay Cafe
Bluebird Ice Cream & Tea
zpizza
Moonlight
Cherry St Coffee
Mexico
Pan Africa
Wild Ginger
Turnpike
Razzi's/Romio's Pizza
Wayward Coffee House
Tilth
Full Tilt
El Chupacabra
India Bistro
Juliano's Pizza
Taste of India
Maharaja
Jewel of India
Annapurna Cafe
Tidbit Bistro
Homegrown
Zum Zum
Root Table

This is such a great idea!
Elysian Brewery in Capitol Hill - The Veggie BBQ sandwich can be made vegan with no cheddar and sub kaiser bun, the Oasis Platter can be made vegan with no feta, their salads can be made vegan with no cheese and they have a veggie soup on daily; it is vegan about 60% of the time.
The Baguette Box in Capitol Hill- Their tofu sandwich is vegan if you ask them to sub green sauce for the aioli. And it is one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. Seriously.
Elliott Bay Brewery in West Seattle - They have a seared tofu sandwich that can be made vegan if ordered without the aioli (which comes on the side anyway) and no butter on the bread. And it is fantastic.
Alibi Room by Pike's Place - They have a vegan pizza on the menus as well as some appetizers that appear to be vegan. I haven't been there yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:58 pm 
Dead by dawn

Yay! Additions to the database that I'm (only barely) working on! Seriously, though, thank you for the contributions. It's just a rough spreadsheet right now, but I will add that info and at some point I will clean it up and figure out how to share it with y'all.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Tidbit Bistro is shutting down on Aug 27th.
Go while you still can!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:41 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

tacoma now has a chaco canyonish raw/vegan restaurant called amerawcan bistro (yeah, i know).

http://amerawcanbistro.com/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/amerawcan-bistro-tacoma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:59 pm 
Grandfathered In

I could never go there. The name.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:41 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oy. We need to start a vegan branding service or something and nip these sorts of travesties in the bud.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next