| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: recipe étiquette
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:08 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Don't know if anyone has asked yet. What is the etiquette involved with posting recipes on a blog. If I make a recipe from a book, is it ok to post the recipe as long as I give credit to the author? What if I have altered a recipe? Could I post my recipe (although I would still like to give due credit to the original).
I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I really don't want to cause any problems or peas anyone off.

Post subject: Re: recipe étiquette
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:38 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I don't know if there's any legal answer to this, but I personally won't post any recipes that aren't mine, unless I've made extensive changes to a published one. I will link to a recipe if I got it online, or say what book I got the recipe from, but I won't post the actual recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:39 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Most people (like Isa) are cool with it if you give credit. I know the lady who wrote the uncheese book is not cool with it and will find you and bisque you out.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:40 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I'd just email the author and ask if it's okay. I know some aren't okay with it, but a lot are.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:24 pm 
Huffs Nooch

if you changed the amt of the salt in the recipe it is not ok and even if you changed around some stuff and added some extra things it is iffy. Some authors would behave quite salty over that. If you adapted a recipe say it was adapted from x book or if the recipe is online link to it but do not post the content on your blog. Some authors are accessible and maybe it will be a good idea to ask them if u can reprint their recipe on the blog. Before you get yourself in hot water try to stick to posting your own content on your blog that is the best advice I can give you. I would be upset if someone posted the contents of my book on their blog without my permission or my publisher, but for adapting a recipe or something and posting it on your blog I would be OK with that once the person says it was adapted from x book. The uncheese cookbook author is not messing around lol.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

something is going on on this forum i did not post that is funny at the end of my post. I am looking at it but that is funny is not in my edits
Mods!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:37 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Taymer wrote:
something is going on on this forum i did not post that is funny at the end of my post. I am looking at it but that is funny is not in my edits
Mods!!!!

it's a filter. when you type the acronym for laugh out loud it gets changed to that's very funny because we are jerks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:44 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I usually just say the cookbook it's from and let people find it themselves. If I find it online, I'll just link to it. I only post it if I made significant changes and I'll still link to the original.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:55 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I wondered about this too, I've erred on the side of caution and tried not to post any recipes that weren't mine unless I've changed it significantly or just made it up myself.

good question.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 am 
Naked Under Apron

if i've heavily modified something, then i will say this is heavily modified and give the recipe. otherwise, i search on google to see if some other jerk has already uploaded it and link to that.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:08 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I don't think it's fair to post an entire recipe. Chefs don't earn enough as it is, let alone vegan chefs! They need people to buy the book.

From what I've heard, the recipe itself is copyrighted, but the ingredients are not. So the ingredients are fair game. If you alter quite a bit of it, say "inspired by" and then post your new recipe (which should probably be 50% different).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:48 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I would never type out a recipe unless I had written permission from the author. If I alter it a bit I would say "I used the recipe from xxxx but used green beans instead of peas". If I alter it a lot I would say "I got the idea of this from XXXX but I altered it a lot and here's what I did".

I work a lot within copyright and lots of it is a grey area so the question I usually ask myself is "Is this fair?" "Who would lose out if people used this recipe instead of buying the book".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:03 am 
Saggy Butt

I would never post a recipe unless it was mine. If it was already on the internet then I would link to the place I got it from and if it was out of a cook book then I will name and link the cook book.
It's just being nice.

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:33 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It depends - if I can find this recipe somewhere online I post it since it's available for everyone already also when I modify recipe a lot or I'm just inspired and changes in original recipe are crucial for the dish if not I'm not posting. And always remember about credits.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:23 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I don't think it's cool to post recipes from books unless you have definite permission from the author. If I make something using a book I'll say "I used the recipe in Cookbook X, but I added an extra Y and cooked it for ten minutes longer" or something. I'll usually also post a photo of the book and link to it on Amazon or the author's website. If I make a recipe from somewhere online I'll link to it but won't put the whole recipe in my post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:54 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

bittofraw wrote:
I don't think it's fair to post an entire recipe. Chefs don't earn enough as it is, let alone vegan chefs! They need people to buy the book.

From what I've heard, the recipe itself is copyrighted, but the ingredients are not. So the ingredients are fair game. If you alter quite a bit of it, say "inspired by" and then post your new recipe (which should probably be 50% different).

The recipe language is only protected by copyright if it's something creative. You can't copyright "mix everything together, pour into a muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes." But just because something isn't protected by copyright doesn't mean it's not a jerk thing to do to republish the recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

. (oops)

Last edited by Phoenix on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:08 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jeni Treehugger wrote:
I would never post a recipe unless it was mine. If it was already on the internet then I would link to the place I got it from and if it was out of a cook book then I will name and link the cook book.
It's just being nice.

This.

Except for when I'm being creative and doing something like throwing three or four recipes together, leaving out half the ingredients and subbing/modifying the rest with whatever comes to mind. In the end I wouldn't recognize any of the original recipes or know to whom I should give credit, apart from my own ingenuity - or kitchen fail. Depends.

Last edited by Phoenix on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 am 
Nailed to the V

I won't repost recipes & only link if I can find it on the author's site, Google Books or Amazon. That's more laziness than etiquette. If I veganized it, it's mine.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:30 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:53 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I would never have thought about it. I actually have some recipes I'm planning to post this month, I was just planning to credit the book and author.
I heard years ago about the uncheese woman being kind of mean if you posted her recipes and I have to say it turned me off to buying her books and I still haven't bought any. Shoot, you can find almost anything through google books or amazon it seems. I wouldn't want anyone posting my entire book (hello google books and amazon) but a recipe here or there seems ok to me. You can go to the library and copy a whole book or write a recipe down at a bookstore if you wanted to. If I want to support an author, I'm gonna pony up and buy the damn book already.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I don't post recipes that aren't mine unless they're PPK recipes, since Isa once said on the old forum that she was okay with it. Even then, I just try to link to someone else's reproduction, mostly because I'm too lazy to transcribe recipes from books.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I would never type a whole recipe out of a book, because i'm lazy.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:53 am 
Keepin' It Seal

pandacookie wrote:
I would never have thought about it. I actually have some recipes I'm planning to post this month, I was just planning to credit the book and author.
I heard years ago about the uncheese woman being kind of mean if you posted her recipes and I have to say it turned me off to buying her books and I still haven't bought any. Shoot, you can find almost anything through google books or amazon it seems. I wouldn't want anyone posting my entire book (hello google books and amazon) but a recipe here or there seems ok to me. You can go to the library and copy a whole book or write a recipe down at a bookstore if you wanted to. If I want to support an author, I'm gonna pony up and buy the damn book already.

Yes. It makes more sense to have your recipes online. Otherwise, how would I know if I'm going to like it? I have all of Isa's books because the recipes are online and I got to try them, so I know they're fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:58 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I would never type a whole recipe out of a book, because i'm lazy.

Yeah when someone asks me to send them a recipe, I insist they sent their mailing address so I can just photocopy it.