| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to gluten-free
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:03 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey, all. I went vegan a bit more than 2 years ago to help my IBS. Well, it worked, kinda. I am now getting tested for celiac and waiting for the results.

Well, my boyfriend's doc told him he probably has IBS and should try gluten-free. We LOVE carbs. I LOVED pasta until I got sick from it recently. I am stuck because I don't know how I can survive without bread, which is the only one I am struggling with right now.

My main issue is, every time I baked my own bread I hated it. Does anyone know of an OK brand of vegan and gluten-free bread? I will have to bake if I need to, and I thought about investing in a breadmaker.

Also, any tips or sites for a newbie would be great, but I am totally clueless and don't know where to start.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: New to gluten-free
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Food for Life is ok toasted. It's not great though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:34 pm 
Naked Under Apron

have you seen this?
http://xgfx.org/2011/06/guest-blog-post-sharon-kane-xgfx-sourdough-baking/

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:07 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i'm a HUGE fan of Sami's bread, but if you're super sensitive to wheaties you might wanna stay away as it's run on the same belt as wheat. i used to have IBS before i went gluten-free and i'm a-okay with the Sami's bread. not all their goodies are vegan, but many of the millet & flax line is (i order online through them and they ship it pretty darn fast) - and their bagels (and the vegan spinach pies) make me most happyfaced: http://www.samisbakery.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

happyfaced wrote:
i'm a HUGE fan of Sami's bread, but if you're super sensitive to wheaties you might wanna stay away as it's run on the same belt as wheat. i used to have IBS before i went gluten-free and i'm a-okay with the Sami's bread. not all their goodies are vegan, but many of the millet & flax line is (i order online through them and they ship it pretty darn fast) - and their bagels (and the vegan spinach pies) make me most happyfaced: http://www.samisbakery.com/

Whoooaaa, thanks. That's really close to my house.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thank youuuu! It has been tough and I fell off the wagon recently. My boyfriend bought whole wheat bread. =/ Soon, soon!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:44 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I'm also semi-new to gluten-free eating, started about 6 months ago. I too get sad about not being able to have bread, specifically bagels. I like brown rice and quinoa breads toasted with nut butter, but it's really not the same as normal bread for me. What's worked for me to keep me away from gluten products is just to distract myself with food I already love that happens to be gluten-free. For me this means potatoes, rice and rice noodles. I do buy brown rice pasta sometimes, but it's pricey and I miss my semolina pasta. Getting excited about normal foods that happen to be gluten-free helps me forget about the whole missing gluten thing, whereas eating special gluten-free products tends to remind me that I'm missing out on the "real" thing. In time I've gotten pretty used to eating this way, so I no longer crave toast every at 3 like I used to.

Best of luck to you!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks! I love rice noodles and potatoes. I usually go a few weeks without buying bread but always get sucked back in. Though the last time I bought regular bread, I noticed it took us 2 weeks to use it up! That's mainly because my boyfriend got my toaster oven dirty with chocolate (the milk-based kind) and he forgets to clean it. Plus I'm having a hard time scrubbing it off. So my craving for toast is diluted when I think that I can't toast the bread.
I'm still a carb fiend, though, and it's so hard.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:10 am 
Tofu Pup

i think u should get some easily from local food stores . But still i am wana share something to u that now u have needed to avoid all gluten foods atleast for 6 months . If u really have celiace .

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]