| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Running Shoes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

You ever notice that the magazines that say you should replace your shoes like every other run are crammed with ads for shoes? Food for thought.

Post subject: Re: Running Shoes
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:48 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:52 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I kind of hate you right now, but that's pretty funny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:25 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

i've been wearing the same running shoes for a few years and my feet just hurt so much!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:06 pm 
Chard Martyr

Seriously, though, you don't realize how bad your shoes are ("Oh I can go another month, I'll be fine!") until you get a new pair and it feels like you're walking on clouds.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:14 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Hmmm. I saw a note in my mom's Real Simple magazine about vibram fivefingers. It basically said that barefoot running is based off the running style of indigenous peoples who don't have the "luxury" of Nike technology and that running barefoot, if you didn't grow up doing it, will -absolutely- result in injury (I don't love the privileged language, but--).

The thing is, running in any type of shoe can result in injury, if not done properly. I have a friend who can run on a treadmill in fivefingers, because they force a different form than traditional shoes. Her knees are so bad that this is the first running she's been able to do in years. I wish they'd cited a study on the benefits, too, instead of just quoting one naysayer and speaking in absolutes.

I was also flipping through some women's health magazine that had not an ad but an article about how dairy milk can help with PMS. I realize magazines are filled with ads, but I really wanted to think that they at least stayed out of the articles!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:21 pm 
Saggy Butt

Worn-out shoes cause injuries, you'd best buy the best shoes you can afford and replace them regularly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:52 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

has anyone read born to run? there's some talk in there about studies that have been done on running with shoes vs. barefoot. i'd love to research studies that wind up on the pro side of running with shoes, but macdougall only addresses those that support the idea that barefoot is the way to go.

however, one that i found particularly interesting compared running in shoes that were identified by their cost. the results came down pretty firmly that runners who wore relatively inexpensive shoes (less than $40, i think?) were three times less likely to be injured. i'm sure there are LOTS of contributing factors and i haven't seen the study myself to know what controls were introduced, but it was a thing that made me go hmm.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:55 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I haven't read Born to Run, but since you say it only presents one perspective, I think it's like a lot of documentaries I've watched, with an obvious agenda. :) Of course the most effective arguments are made when the rhetor addresses the counter-argument(s) as well, or even concedes a point or points. I think Real Simple was probably trying to discourage folks from going out and running in fivefingers, because you really do need to do some research and make the switch sloooooooowly. Still, they could have just said that or something.

So the Harvard study on barefoot running was partially funded by Vibram. That's pretty frustrating! I mean, I can see why they'd want to actively support this research, since the results could totally be to their benefit, but at the same time, the study now feels super-biased and I can't take it completely seriously.

I really enjoy minimalist running, though my vibrams have basically fallen apart in like 2 months of light running--half marathon training but long runs have only gotten up to 4 miles. The rubber is pealing off the mesh on one of the toes and there are two holes in the mesh (plus a bloodstain but I guess that can't be helped). The Merrell Pace Glove with Vibram sole looks interesting, though. And less lizard-y...

Just seems like I know people who have worn conventional running shoes and can no longer run after 35-40 years because of injuries. And I know people who have taken up barefoot running and didn't make it a week before they injured themselves, sometimes pretty seriously, and I know people who are still running strong after decades in conventional shoes and I know people who have been running barefoot (usually -actually- barefoot and not minimalist) for years and, again, are still running strong.

So basically, it just seems to me, in my obviously scientific opinion :) that running, any way you do it, involves risk. See what works best for you and keeps you injury-free and go with it. You can get injured with any type of shoe or without shoes, sometimes even when you're doing it -right-!

Oh, and that study about the less expensive shoes is fascinating! I'd love to read it. While running in my $80 vibrams ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:01 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I need to learn to run on all fours, cheetah-style. But then, how often would I replace my gloves?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:12 pm 
Hip Goiter

I need to get new sneakers! Mine are really worn out and my bunions have started hurting. (I have custom orthotics too, I'm a hot footed mess.) I need suggestions for good running shoes for flat feet. Go.

Laughfrodisiac