| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 127  Next
 Post subject: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:08 pm 
Kale Wreath

How's it going for all you runners out there?

Right now my goal is to do a full marathon in the spring.

Last week I was in Kyoto and got to run along the river every day. It was so lovely. Now I'm back in Tokyo and discovered that I'd left my running shoes in the hotel, so I won't get them back until tomorrow :(

Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't been running much lately, but I'm still in it. I cut down to short runs 3 times a week after I over trained my ankle, so I'm still just trying to keep up with those.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:17 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I'm doing shorter runs (5K) during the week and 5 on either Saturday or Sunday.

It's shocking for me to write that--I only started running in mid-May.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:33 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm thinking about doing my first half marathon in the spring. Got a lot more endurance to build before then, but I've got plenty of time.

I just started running again at the end of August after a loong break (like 4 years). I'm running about 15 miles a week right now, trying not to bump my mileage too fast.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:05 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Can someone please cyber-kick my butt?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:37 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm doing fartlek/interval training at the moment in my off season (3 times per week). Need to do some slower, longer runs but find that intervals etc really kick my arse and aren't boring.

I really should buy a heart rate monitor as it would make continuous running stuff much more accurate and i could work out how to maximise my workouts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:11 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm training for my first marathon - Walt Disney World on January 9th. I've done a few half marathons, and I'm just gearing up to start training runs longer than that - I can't even fathom what double the distance is going to feel like! (assuming I live though it!)

pistachiorose: what marathon are you considering?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

It's cold - just above freezing here and I've started to sleep in my running clothes again. And dark, very dark at 5:45 am.

Good job, you marathon trainers. I'll look forward to race reports.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Does anyone have any good training schedules for half marathon training? I'm looking to run a half marathon in March (which gives me a ton of training time), but I'm a novice when it comes to racing and completely clueless on how to start!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:23 pm 
Kale Wreath

AshleyUndone wrote:
Does anyone have any good training schedules for half marathon training? I'm looking to run a half marathon in March (which gives me a ton of training time), but I'm a novice when it comes to racing and completely clueless on how to start!

Yep! http://www.canadarunningseries.com/crs/ ... sicmar.htm

I followed that for prepping for my half-marathon and will probably follow it when I start seriously training for the full one as well.

elsa, I'm not sure yet which marathon I will do - it depends which city I'll be in. I don't have a lot of money so I can't travel for it. More than likely it will be the Vancouver marathon that happens in May.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:12 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm running between 2 and 3 miles, 3 to 4 times a week. I'm nervous to increase my mileage too much, too fast. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

I'd love to do a half-marathon, but I'm mentally not ready for it. I totally over-think everything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:12 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Veglicious wrote:
Can someone please cyber-kick my butt?

Thanks

Me too please. I've been sitting on my asparagus and eating too much since September.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:23 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

kdsaj - you are already on your way to building a good foundation. If you have one day to spend a little longer, maybe on a weekend, you can turn it into a long run day. You can increase your mileage gradually by a mile a week until you are running double your regular run. The long run should be at a slower pace that feels almost too slow at first. As you get more comfortable, you can increase the rest of your runs slightly, but don't do it all at once. Adding quick short bursts of speed (fartlek) during one of your weekday runs can also help. If you feel good and you don't start to develop any aches or pains, you are probably increasing your workout load perfectly.

3 miles is a 5K! - if you have any interest in signing up for a race or two, this can be a great way to augment your training and you already have the mileage for that under your belt.

If you have any running groups in your area, check them out. They can be a great resource and often you can find someone to run with.
I ran by myself for a couple of years before getting involved in our local running club and it's really a lot of fun!

Best of luck! I bet you'll be getting ready to run that half before you know it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:16 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

AshleyUndone wrote:

Runner's World (online) has a decent plan, as does Hal Higdon. I've used both for marathons and half marathons! Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:19 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

kdsaj wrote:
I'm running between 2 and 3 miles, 3 to 4 times a week. I'm nervous to increase my mileage too much, too fast. Does anyone have any recommendations for this?

I'd love to do a half-marathon, but I'm mentally not ready for it. I totally over-think everything.

Increase your mileage by 10% max per week and you'll be fine!! You'll be running your half before you know it. I always think that if you can run 3, you can run 6. Then, once you run 6, you can run 12 (with proper training, right?)-but I guess at some point that stops being correct. Anyway, stick to 10% increases.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:56 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I like the Canadian Running Series and the Hal Higdon and have used both for half marathon training.

kdsaj, slow and easy. A little bit every week and you should avoid injury and find it almost imperceptible - you're wise to be cautious.

How much you run also depends on what result you want. If you want to be healthy and run for the many mental and physical health benefits, then 3 miles four times a week is great. I find there is such a push in magazines and amongst other runners to increase increase increase, and it's not necessary if that's not what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:56 am 
So Totally Yiffy

chickpea35 wrote:
Increase your mileage by 10% max per week and you'll be fine!! You'll be running your half before you know it. I always think that if you can run 3, you can run 6. Then, once you run 6, you can run 12 (with proper training, right?)-but I guess at some point that stops being correct. Anyway, stick to 10% increases.

Maybe I should sign myself up for a half for the spring, so I keep my motivation over the winter. Thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:32 am 
Naked Under Apron

hiya everyone, i run as well and the longest i've run in just over a half marathon (while i was training for a half marathon last year). i have backed off my running in the past few weeks (i've really started to get into yoga now, too!), but i'm excitedfaced to get back into it and i'm inspired by this running thread. superw00t!

a few months ago i picked up a pair of the vibram 5 finger shoe thingies and i must say i love them the most. the farthest i've run with them is an 8 miler and they make my feet (and hips) sooo much happier (even though i think they look pretty ridiculous)! does anyone else run in these things?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

kdsaj wrote:
Maybe I should sign myself up for a half for the spring, so I keep my motivation over the winter.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm scared that if I don't have some goal in the distance, I'll give up once it gets cold!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:01 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

happyfaced wrote:
a few months ago i picked up a pair of the vibram 5 finger shoe thingies and i must say i love them the most. the farthest i've run with them is an 8 miler and they make my feet (and hips) sooo much happier (even though i think they look pretty ridiculous)! does anyone else run in these things?

With all the buzz on here about them I am interested. I have run in Adidas Supernova cushions for about seven years but I have trained myself over time to hit mid-foot with as little downward force as possible. I think the vibram's would help.

It's interesting you mention hips, and good to hear that they help with them. I have some trouble with hip pain and sciatica since I had my last son 11 years ago. It comes and goes and I do yoga which helps, but I am looking at long-term running into my golden years (ha!).

I also usually run early in the morning so not as many people to point and laugh. Not that I really care.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:01 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was out this morning. It was pretty cold but a nice run. I always do around 5K.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hey everyone! I am currently training for my 3rd half marathon (San Antonio Rock 'N' Roll) and really want to do a marathon in the spring!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Arisaig wrote:
happyfaced wrote:

With all the buzz on here about them I am interested. I have run in Adidas Supernova cushions for about seven years but I have trained myself over time to hit mid-foot with as little downward force as possible. I think the vibram's would help.

It's interesting you mention hips, and good to hear that they help with them. I have some trouble with hip pain and sciatica since I had my last son 11 years ago. It comes and goes and I do yoga which helps, but I am looking at long-term running into my golden years (ha!).

I also usually run early in the morning so not as many people to point and laugh. Not that I really care.

you should totally check them out, Arisaig! they will help you with the mid-foot strike a little more (i no longer heel strike. yay!) AND they keep my legs underneath my body more, which really helps because i tend to try and lengthen my stride which gets me into trouble. i was skeptical of them at first, and they do look funny, but i really like them and i won't run in my "regular" running shoes (asics) anymore because the vibrams make me happier. i find that yoga helps me more with my hips as well. mine are messed up because i have knocked knees something awful (i look like a drunken goose when i run) and it's no fun for my hips having my legs, knees and pelvis (and i imagine my pronation as well) be so "off". i do lift weights and i love wearing the vibrams when i squat because i feel more balanced and it doesn't bother my hips there either. i mostly run on roads so i bought the vibram bikilas because they're just 1mm thicker to prevent your feet from getting all fubbed up from junk on the road that you might run over. but try a bunch of the styles on to see which ones you like the most! anyways - so you might wanna give them a try and i hope they help with your hips!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:39 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I've seen those funny Vibrams around, not sure if I would feel silly running in them though. I'm not much a runner, but I do about 9 miles a week mandatory, and maybe an extra 9 a month voluntarily.. The sponsored 5k's are always conflicting with my work though, sucks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:02 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I can't wait to get over this cold so that I can get back on track. I'm training for a 10k and I'm very bummed that I haven't been able to run in over a week. I feel my mileage slipping away.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 127  Next