| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Sweet Hereafter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:03 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

alan wrote:
Best part about this joint? WALKING DISTANCE.

Quoted for truth.

And re: the Coconut Kale, it seems to be steamed kale with a light coconut curry sauce on it. Quite good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I had the Pretzels (the pretzels seemed homemade, not in traditional pretzel shape) and Jamaican Bowl. The 2 soft pretzels were on the small side and, to me, not worth $5. They were good, but not like "damn good." The jerk tofu in the bowl I didn't care for, but the kale was scrumptious and the rice and black beans were yummy (but nothing fancy going on with them, I just like beans and rice). I didn't have a special cocktail, just stuck with a well Whiskey Sour. Three of them...

I love the new space a lot and can't wait to move back into the 'hood and be a regular. Also, I was excited to see all the bartenders that have been missing from Bye & Bye.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:26 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've been three times now, I think? Plus one other time I walked in and decided it was too crowded. Jamaican bowl is so good even though I hate black pepper so I sort of have to grit my teeth through the tofu. I like the cocktails a lot too--tequila old fashioned!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:59 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

procrastinatingcook wrote:
I had the Pretzels (the pretzels seemed homemade, not in traditional pretzel shape) and Jamaican Bowl. The 2 soft pretzels were on the small side and, to me, not worth $5. They were good, but not like "damn good." The jerk tofu in the bowl I didn't care for, but the kale was scrumptious and the rice and black beans were yummy (but nothing fancy going on with them, I just like beans and rice). I didn't have a special cocktail, just stuck with a well Whiskey Sour. Three of them...

I love the new space a lot and can't wait to move back into the 'hood and be a regular. Also, I was excited to see all the bartenders that have been missing from Bye & Bye.

I want to go there! I don't know if I can wait until the end of the month. Was the red headed beard-y guy there?! He was my favorite at the Bye and Bye.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:49 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I've been thinking I was missing him from the bye and bye too! But he wasn't there when I went at least. Though that really cute skinny tall parted hair guy was there. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:27 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

katiejayne wrote:
I want to go there! I don't know if I can wait until the end of the month. Was the red headed beard-y guy there?! He was my favorite at the Bye and Bye.

<3 I knew it was only a matter of time before KJ brought up red beardy guy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:49 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

vijita wrote:
katiejayne wrote:

Oh, how I love beards. And plaid.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

katiejayne wrote:
vijita wrote:
katiejayne wrote:

I saw him!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:44 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

jdfunks wrote:
katiejayne wrote:
katiejayne wrote:

I saw him!
gah! jealous!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:13 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

He was sitting at the bar and they had my favorite beer. I know he picks the selection, so I was happy. Why don't you just call them by name? They are more than objects :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:15 pm 

Because then we'd have to ask their name, which considering how good-looking they are is no easy task!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:09 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Mars wrote:
Because then we'd have to ask their name, which considering how good-looking they are is no easy task!

Fact!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:18 am 
Saggy Butt

Ian?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

alan wrote:
Best part about this joint? WALKING DISTANCE.

This. I love the Bye & Bye and will still travel up there for a meatball sub and brussels sprouts, but it's unbelievable to have this so close to home. However, I've already been there like 5-6 times and my wallet is huuuuuuurting.

Getting the bad out of the way (note: most are the same complaints that I have about the Bye & Bye):

1. Drinks are pricey, especially considering they aren't the strongest. Triple Nickel and Belmont Inn both serve some of the stiffest drinks for the best prices - I know I'm paying for ambiance, etc., but c'mon, give me some gin with that tonic!

2. I only order martini's/french 75s/annoying-to-make cocktails when it's not busy. And they're still not that good. I find it's best to stick to their specific cocktail list, easy mix drinks (g&t!), or beer.

3. I feel a little like I'm sitting in a garage on the patio - kind of like at the Mash Tun. It makes a world of difference when the back doors are open.

4. Pretzels just aren't worth it.

The GREATNESS:

1. Did I mention walking distance? How I can now stop by for happy hour? How easy it is to convince my friends to meet me in my neighborhood? How I get to start off Tour de Belmont properly now?

2. The same hot and nice bartenders. And some new hot and nice bartenders. So much hotness and niceness.

3. GIANT beautiful marble bar. I'm willing to bet the bar itself is way bigger than at the Bye & Bye.

4. Regular picnic tables and big communal table.

5. The chickpea salad sandwich rules (marinated lemons!!). The coconut kale is addicting. The potato salad is right on. The buffalo sub is great if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not, but bf LOVES it). I can't wait to try the edamame burger.

6. Anthem Cider on tap.

7. Great atmosphere, comfortable but classy - great for a date, great for meeting friends. Awesome light fixtures.

I wish I was there right now...

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Great review!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:54 pm 

katiejayne wrote:

Are you talking about the guy that used to check ID's at the door or did he actually bartend? because I totes remember a cute redhead at the door that always had a book on him, but I haven't seen him in forever and he never bartended...

Yes, they're more than objects, but you gotta give us a break, they don't wear nametags and they don't just tell us their names. I mostly know their names by asking other friends that know them. I currently don't have a crush on any of them, but most of them are very nice and give me stiff drinks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:55 pm 

oh, p.s. the sandwich that says it has chickpea fritters in it...does not have fritters in it. Fritters are deep fried balls of goodness, what they gave you is weird slabs of mashed chickpea loaf. It's good, but it's not a fritter!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:07 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I am just going to say it. The Sweet Hereafter makes me cranky.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:46 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

oh? do tell.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:21 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
oh? do tell.

Well, I am walking distance to the Bye and Bye, and my favorite thing to do in portland, is to walk up there with dogs and friends and sit out on the front patio sipping on bye and byes or whatever and eating clandestine nachos that we maneuvered out of the kitchen.

I find the sweet hereafter atmosphere/decor way not sunny, or open air, or charming in any way. The back area and tables do feel like a garage. The signature drinks aren't much to my liking and the food hasn't been good. Yet. I hope there's a learning curve or someone learns to lean off of the allspice. We had the special borcht yesterday, and the first three bites were good, but then we just kept passing it around and around and no one wanted it. Also, the xgfx options are super limited, which is reasonable--but the menu could easily at least be marked. The steve martin isn't even listed as a sandwhich, and on our first visit we ordered it thinking it was a bowl...

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:08 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

procrastinatingcook wrote:
katiejayne wrote:

Are you talking about the guy that used to check ID's at the door or did he actually bartend? because I totes remember a cute redhead at the door that always had a book on him, but I haven't seen him in forever and he never bartended...

Yes, they're more than objects, but you gotta give us a break, they don't wear nametags and they don't just tell us their names. I mostly know their names by asking other friends that know them. I currently don't have a crush on any of them, but most of them are very nice and give me stiff drinks.

He was a bartender and I remember him always wearing red plaid, but that could be wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

rainbowwine wrote:
6. Anthem Cider on tap.

This could be my very favorite part.

I'll do the annoying-comparing-it-to-the-other thing by hoping that the cider on tap will vary. : )

Tequila isn't really my thing to sip on, but my friend Liz freaking loves the Paloma cocktail...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:25 pm 

Tequila is my favorite, so the drink menu here is pretty fun for me. It's kind of funny, I totally get all of kittee's reasons for not liking this place, but for some reason while I would normally see these as knocks against a place, for this place they really work for me. I wouldn't go here with a group though, probably. Unless I was sitting in the back maybe. The thing I really like at this place is the feel of sitting at the bar. I never really liked sitting at the bar at Bye and Bye. It felt invasive, like it should only be sat at while ordering or waiting for someone. At Sweet Hereafter it feels more welcome to sitting at for a full meal, for chatting with the bartender... Also, the art at Sweet Hereafter is really beautiful. I don't really enjoy any of it at the Bye and Bye (except the B&W lady one which you can tell is by the same artist as the ones at Sweet Hereafter, though I prefer the SH ones to that one also).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:57 pm 

I ordered a rhubarb cocktail here (can't remember the name) and it was $8 and in a teeny goblet--more like a pudding cup, and barely boozy. Not impressed. Next time I go I'll order one of the mason jar drinks. I also wish there were more xgfx options, and more smaller dishes for sharing/noshing. I really like the space though--the front room is beautiful, and I love the location.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:30 pm 

I went for the first time this afternoon, shared the dish with the coconut kale and Steve Martin. Food was really good and the space is beautiful. Bye and Bye guys just can't do wrong in my book.