| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Peas and Thank You
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:46 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I've read through it and everything sounds really good. Even the things with daiya, which is usually a complete cookbook turn off for me. The Spicy African Peanut Slow Cooker Soup sounds like heaven. And the brownies! I really can't wait to try those.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made her banana bread (really good!) and bbq sauce today (too salty).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:36 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm looking forward to reading your reviews of this book. I love her recipe for Mmm Sauce, it's awesome on fajitas and quesadillas and even my non-vegan hubby loves it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:50 pm 

So, I now have two copies. I just got an email saying that I won a giveaway for this book (I entered on a whim, didn't think I would win). What am I supposed to do with the extra copy?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Niev wrote:
So, I now have two copies. I just got an email saying that I won a giveaway for this book (I entered on a whim, didn't think I would win). What am I supposed to do with the extra copy?

Give it as a gift. Or ask if someone here wants it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:10 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Niev wrote:

Yea!! Where did you win one?

I would gift one. (That's what I planned to do if I won one.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:27 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i'd gift it too - i have a friend who is sorely lacking in cookbooks and if i won one i already have i'd give it to him.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have made the crack wrap and it is addictive, I love it. the brownies and peanut butter balls are crazy good. one recipe i love that is not in the book is her tempeh tamale pie, i could eat it all in 1 day

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Niev wrote:

How about donating it to the library so that other folks can be exposed to veganism (assuming that your library puts donated books on the shelf rather than selling them)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:25 am 

Becky4Kahne wrote:
I have made the crack wrap and it is addictive, I love it. the brownies and peanut butter balls are crazy good. one recipe i love that is not in the book is her tempeh tamale pie, i could eat it all in 1 day

This is my favorite recipe of hers so far! It's good hot. It's good cold. It's good with hot sauce and topped with sour cream and olive as suggested. It's good straight out of the casserole dish. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:26 am 

bcakes wrote:
Niev wrote:

How about donating it to the library so that other folks can be exposed to veganism (assuming that your library puts donated books on the shelf rather than selling them)?

I had that same thought, but then I figured some friend or family member might be able to use it. The 'recipeas' are pretty open to anyone, vegan or no.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 am 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

ndpittman wrote:
My cousin's husband doesn't like chocolate. It's the weirdest thing ever.

I didn't really like chocolate until well into my 30s. Chalk it up to quitting smoking perhaps, but I still have a very underdeveloped sweet tooth.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:04 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

bcakes wrote:
Niev wrote:

Very, very good idea!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:45 am 
Naked Under Apron

I don't have the book yet, but the pickle fries from her blog rocked my world.

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:02 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

library is a good idea!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 am 
Married to the wolfman

Kelly wrote:
I made the chewy energy bars today! Had a house full of 12 & 13 year old boys and they devoured them. I loved them too, although mine came out much more cakey than her picture (not a bad thing). Silas liked the first bite then freaked when he saw chocolate and refused to eat any more. What kind of kid hates chocolate?!

Ha ha ha... oh Silas.

I got this on sale a couple of days ago at a closing down Borders and man I really want to make the blackberry cinnamon buns. But I should start with the energy bars because if I like them... maybe I could stop eating so many Clif bars.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

coldandsleepy wrote:
Kelly wrote:
I made the chewy energy bars today! Had a house full of 12 & 13 year old boys and they devoured them. I loved them too, although mine came out much more cakey than her picture (not a bad thing). Silas liked the first bite then freaked when he saw chocolate and refused to eat any more. What kind of kid hates chocolate?!

Ha ha ha... oh Silas.

I got this on sale a couple of days ago at a closing down Borders and man I really want to make the blackberry cinnamon buns. But I should start with the energy bars because if I like them... maybe I could stop eating so many Clif bars.

Those blackberry cinnamon buns are amazing. I remember making them probably over a year ago when the recipe appeared on the blog. MAKE THEM NOW!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 pm 

I picked this up from the library a while ago and I love it. It's been a long time since I got a cookbook from the library that made me want to go buy it. I'm in love with the lime tahini sauce and put it on everything. The zucchini bread became muffins and were a huge success. I made the yogi guacamole for a bridal shower and it was perfect. It was obviously guac, but because of the beans it wasn't as expensive and it stayed green for hours. I think I'm making the African peanut soup tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:34 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I don't know if the recipe is in the book (haven't gotten it yet) but the pumpkin protein donuts on her website are delicious!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:46 pm 
Married to the wolfman

The blackberry cinnamon buns really ARE amazing.

I had her Mac & Cheese (the one with the entire bag of daiya in it) and it really is JUST like Kraft deluxe mac'n'cheese. Which I never really liked. But if you did like it, this could be the mac for you.

I made the chewy energy bars last night to take to work this week and um, they are not going to last the week. They're delicious.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:38 am 

healthyrunner wrote:
I don't know if the recipe is in the book (haven't gotten it yet) but the pumpkin protein donuts on her website are delicious!!

It's not in the book. I think she must have gotten into donuts post book, as there are no donut recipes (sad face).

I have to try these again. I made them with a package of vega vanilla, and it turned the batter (and resulting donuts) green! And they tasted really strongly of stevia! I have a protein powder that I like now though, so I need to get on that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:42 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Quote:
It's not in the book. I think she must have gotten into donuts post book, as there are no donut recipes (sad face).

I have to try these again. I made them with a package of vega vanilla, and it turned the batter (and resulting donuts) green! And they tasted really strongly of stevia! I have a protein powder that I like now though, so I need to get on that.

Hi - yeah I only used 1/2 tsp of Stevia because I figured the pumpkin would sweeten it too. I've definitely made the mistake of using too much Stevia in a recipe - it's a very fine line! I love this protein powder http://www.vitacost.com/Garden-of-Life-RAW-Protein and find it has a neutral taste for adding to recipes but sounds like you have a good one now too.

I think "donut" is a loose term for these in any case - maybe applicable to shape only :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:05 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

coldandsleepy wrote:
I had her Mac & Cheese (the one with the entire bag of daiya in it) and it really is JUST like Kraft deluxe mac'n'cheese. Which I never really liked. But if you did like it, this could be the mac for you.

You just sold me on this book.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:48 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I have made about 8 "recipeas" so far and have loved almost all, and liked the rest. There are still a bunch I have bookmarked and am looking forward to making.
The almond joy cookie bars were amazing, I've been making at least one of the smoothies from her book on a daily basis for breakfast (it's been too hot for oatmeal here most of the summer for sure, and they are awesome smoothies), the energy bars were good (the only thing keeping them from great is the calorie count- about 120 more calories than the energy bars I usually eat), the two different roasted chickpea flavors are wonderful for snacking or adding to salads and such....
Personally, I like her accessibility, and only a handful of recipes have vegan analogues in them. Most of her recipes, for me, have just the right amount of healthy and just the right amount of indulgence.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:54 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Is the book written in the same style as the blog? The introductions to the recipes etc?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next