| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eatin' Vegan in Yosemite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:13 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

My partner and I are going to be at Camp Curry in Yosemite for three days over Thanksgiving and I'm prematurely freaking out that there won't be anything for us to eat. And they won't let you cook, of course, because you might burn the park down.
I know Camp Curry has a little cafeteria and pizza restaurant - does anyone have experience with trying to gather food there or elsewhere?

Post subject: Re: Eatin' Vegan in Yosemite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

I remember having fries and a veggie burger at the cafeteria, pretty sure I confirmed that it was vegan -- I remember that they had a separate grill for it. I think I got a pizza w/no cheese that was fine and there was a buffet I didn't go to that probably had some stuff. There's a decent sized grocery store in the village that had hummus and guacamole salsa soy milk cereal etc and they're required to sell it all at outside-park-market prices so its not too bad price-wise (unlike the gas at the yosemite gas station)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:41 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

A friendly reminder: this stuff goes in the Square!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Every year I chaperone for a week-long high school trip to Yosemite and I was also really worried there wouldn't be any vegan food. We stay at Yosemite Lodge and there is a cafeteria there that is pretty vegan-friendly. In the morning there are always oatmeal, fruit, and bagels. In the evening there is usually a veg*n soup (sometimes it contains dairy but it's easy to tell....usually it's either vegetable soup or bean soup though), a pre-packaged garden salad with no meat/dairy, pre-packaged fruit salad, and last year, miracle of miracles, there was a cold falafel plate labeled VEGAN. I think it had falafel, hummus, cous cous, and some veggies. A bit bland, but at least there was something. In the hot food section you can get spaghetti without parmesan, breadsticks, and fries. They also had those little boxes of rice milk in the cooler case. This place is not super close to Curry Village but you can take the bus there in about 15 min. It's also a bit pricey for what you get, but I guess that's the name of the game within the park. I can't really speak for any of the food places near Curry Village.

The general store has a decent stock of stuff but a lot of it, if I remember correctly, is stuff that you would need a stove to cook (like boxes of mac & cheese and canned stuff) but they also had bread, peanut butter, cereal, popcorn, etc.

If you're feeling fancy there is also the Ahwahnee Lodge and they have a beautiful dining room. Since they're really high end if you call ahead I'm sure they could make some veg food or veganize what's on the menu.

Are you staying in the cabins at curry village? We went several years ago over Christmas and brought our microwave with us and ate lots of instant oatmeal and canned soup. We just smuggled it in under a blanket since I'm sure it's not allowed.....!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:32 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

jordanpattern wrote:
A friendly reminder: this stuff goes in the Square!

Thanks, Jordan! I wasn't sure where it should go. I'm glad you moved it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:35 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

couroupita wrote:
Are you staying in the cabins at curry village? We went several years ago over Christmas and brought our microwave with us and ate lots of instant oatmeal and canned soup. We just smuggled it in under a blanket since I'm sure it's not allowed.....!

YOU ARE A GENIUS.

As to the rest of your post: thank you so so much. As long as we can find something to munch on my panic is abated.