| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's Election Day.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:18 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Sass wrote:
Although, on a happier note, Prop 109 was defeated. "No law shall be enacted and no rule should be adopted that unreasonably restricts hunting, fishing and the harvesting of wildlife or the use of traditional means and methods. [...] Lawful public hunting and fishing should be a preferred method of managing and controlling wildlife."

Wow, I'm shocked. That's great. Was there a campaign against it? I think this is the first time this has failed anywhere.

Sadly:
In Arkansas, a similar initiative passed 83%.
In Tennessee it passed 90%
In South Carolinait passed 89%

In North Dakota a proposed ban on canned (fenced) hunting failed (56% opposed.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

root wrote:
Sass wrote:
Although, on a happier note, Prop 109 was defeated. "No law shall be enacted and no rule should be adopted that unreasonably restricts hunting, fishing and the harvesting of wildlife or the use of traditional means and methods. [...] Lawful public hunting and fishing should be a preferred method of managing and controlling wildlife."

Wow, I'm shocked. That's great. Was there a campaign against it? I think this is the first time this has failed anywhere.

Sadly:

No campaign that I know of. I actually didn't hear of it til I saw it on the ballot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:37 pm 
WRETCHED

FootFace wrote:
linanil wrote:
Are you saying all people who vote Republican fall under that category? Although things right now seem polarized, they didn't always seem that way. And although I think there were some really really bad Republican candidates out there, I don't know if saying they are all bad or worse than democratic candidates would be true in every case, especially on the local level.

I hope you'll allow a bit of exaggeration now and then.

And which Republicans were the good guys this time around?

I do not know but then again, just because someone isn't spewing the crazy rhetoric doesn't mean they are a good guy. I'm not a political person but I think on some level there are probably republicans that still hold true to the traditional republican ideals, whether or not those ideals are beneficial to a society as a whole, that is debatable. Some of them may be riding the crazy rhetoric even if they aren't spewing it. I also don't think the democrats are exactly wearing halos.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:37 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

root wrote:
Sass wrote:

Sadly:

While I'm not shocked that TN passed a constitutional amendment to make hunting and fishing a right, the 90% is a little bit surprising. And depressing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:38 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

Rand Paul's taking the seat of someone who probably has dementia:
Quote:
During his reelection bid, controversy erupted when Bunning described Mongiardo as looking "like one of Saddam Hussein's sons."[7] Public pressure compelled him to apologize. Bunning was also criticized for his use of a teleprompter during a televised debate with Mongiardo where Bunning participated via satellite link, refusing to appear in person.[8] Bunning was further criticized for making an unsubstantiated claim that his wife had been attacked by Mongiardo's supporters,[9] and for calling Mongiardo "limp wristed".[7] Bunning's mental health was also questioned during the campaign.

So...he may be pure evil, but at least Paul knows how to put on his pants in the morning? Trying to find a bright side to being represented by the Aqua Buddha.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:43 pm 
Grandfathered In

linanil wrote:
FootFace wrote:
linanil wrote:
Are you saying all people who vote Republican fall under that category? Although things right now seem polarized, they didn't always seem that way. And although I think there were some really really bad Republican candidates out there, I don't know if saying they are all bad or worse than democratic candidates would be true in every case, especially on the local level.

I hope you'll allow a bit of exaggeration now and then.

And which Republicans were the good guys this time around?

I do not know but then again, just because someone isn't spewing the crazy rhetoric doesn't mean they are a good guy. I'm not a political person but I think on some level there are probably republicans that still hold true to the traditional republican ideals, whether or not those ideals are beneficial to a society as a whole, that is debatable. Some of them may be riding the crazy rhetoric even if they aren't spewing it. I also don't think the democrats are exactly wearing halos.

Most Democrats suck. Many of the ones who don't lost yesterday. Feingold and Grayson, RIP.

Most Republicans are way worse than most Democrats.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:23 pm 
WRETCHED

FootFace wrote:

Most Democrats suck. Many of the ones who don't lost yesterday. Feingold and Grayson, RIP.

Most Republicans are way worse than most Democrats.

Ok that I can accept :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:34 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

pandacookie wrote:
GuiltyofBeingSprite wrote:
in 10 years after a republican has served for 8 democrats will sweep again everyone will suddenly love people again.

No I won't. You may think we're oversimplifying but so are you.
I haven't paid much attention to this years elections which is dumb of me. But the fact that all we're doing is voting for whoever is out of power in the mad hope that it will solve the economy and everything else is a pretty sad state of affairs for the public. And we're bringing it on ourselves. Until this country has a serious political shift nothing is going to continue to happen except a bunch of arguing and foolish policies aimed at polarizing the party bases. I think the best we can hope for is gridlock, frankly. People just want to hear stupid sound bites. I never heard a damn thing this year about anything that has actually been accomplished in the last 2 years and I know shiitake has gotten done, even if I didn't agree with it. All I heard was 'change is needed'. bullshiitake.
My worry is that the republicans are awfully good at sticking together come hell or high water to keep policies they don't like from happening. The democrats will roll over faster than a june bug on a log in Louisiana in the summer and give up gay rights and women's rights and all other rights to the people who are their constant supporters and cry moderation and then I will just cry.
It is early and I am depressed.

Maybe the term "pre-folded" would be applicable.

DAVID ESPO and JULIE PACE, Associated Press David Espo And Julie Pace, Associated Press – 34 mins ago wrote:
WASHINGTON – A chastened President Barack Obama signaled a willingness to compromise with Republicans on tax cuts and energy policy Wednesday, one day after his party lost control of the House and suffered deep Senate losses in midterm elections.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101103/ap_ ... h/us_obama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:57 pm 
Grandfathered In

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Two very enthusiastic thumbs up to that comic.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:13 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Sass wrote:
root wrote:
Sass wrote:

Sadly:

No campaign that I know of. I actually didn't hear of it til I saw it on the ballot.

Lovin' Spoonfuls (vegan place in Tucson) had lots of leaflets and bumper stickers opposing it. That was the first that I heard of it -- I'm not sure who opposed it in an organized way, but I'm thrilled that it lost by so much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:20 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

fresh_paint wrote:
On the bright side, Missouri passed Proposition B, which imposes laws restricting breeding and cracking down on puppy mills and facilities that breed dogs for laboratory research. Despite all the crepe that went down last night, I can smile today.

This is what's pulling me through today. Seriously, what an abysmal night. I can't believe we lost Feingold and got another WASPy millionaire in the Senate. Because America needs more of those. Ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:21 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

FootFace wrote:
Let me send my comment through the nuancifier:

I didn't think you were calling my family idiots. I just have gotten a bit tired of the extreme language on both sides I suppose. I don't think calling people idiots helps the cause. I understand the frustration behind it, I just don't think it lends itself to a dialog. I also understand that that is not the point of this thread so I will hush now.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:24 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

NatanVee wrote:
Maybe the term "pre-folded" would be applicable.

Are you saying my june bug analogy is too long for a soundbite?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:30 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

pandacookie wrote:
My worry is that the republicans are awfully good at sticking together come hell or high water to keep policies they don't like from happening. The democrats will roll over faster than a june bug on a log in Louisiana in the summer and give up gay rights and women's rights and all other rights to the people who are their constant supporters and cry moderation and then I will just cry.

This. I agree entirely, pandacookie. If Obama had spent some of his political capital from the election on getting farther on health care and clean energy/cap and trade I could feel a little better about this election's results. But no... all of this for very, very little. Disappointing, to say the least. And Pandacookie, you're exactly right. Dems are going to roll over faster than you can say "re-election" now. They were an awful opposition party during the Bush years, and no indications that anything has changed there, particularly under the leadership of Harry Reid in the Senate.

At least Prop B passed in Missouri. And that's HUGE - there's a lot of money in that state invested in puppy mills and even the AKC came out against the measure. Any Missouri folks on these boards work on that campaign? If so you're AWESOME!!! : )

Hard to consider the election leaving progressives anything but profoudly hosed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:31 pm 
Grandfathered In

pandacookie wrote:
FootFace wrote:
Let me send my comment through the nuancifier:

I didn't think you were calling my family idiots. I just have gotten a bit tired of the extreme language on both sides I suppose. I don't think calling people idiots helps the cause. I understand the frustration behind it, I just don't think it lends itself to a dialog. I also understand that that is not the point of this thread so I will hush now.

You don't have to hush.

I agree that if I were out there holding a sign calling Republicans idiots, that might be counter-productive. (Might.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:33 pm 
Grandfathered In

dandykins wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

This. I agree entirely, pandacookie. If Obama had spent some of his political capital from the election on getting farther on health care and clean energy/cap and trade I could feel a little better about this election's results. But no... all of this for very, very little. Disappointing, to say the least. And Pandacookie, you're exactly right. Dems are going to roll over faster than you can say "re-election" now. They were an awful opposition party during the Bush years, and no indications that anything has changed there, particularly under the leadership of Harry Reid in the Senate.

At least Prop B passed in Missouri. And that's HUGE - there's a lot of money in that state invested in puppy mills and even the AKC came out against the measure. Any Missouri folks on these boards work on that campaign? If so you're AWESOME!!! : )

Hard to consider the election leaving progressives anything but profoudly hosed.

Yes, the Dems are chickenshits. "I can't vote for that! Fox will call me names!" "I can't vote against that! Karl Rove will insult me!"

They're going to call you names no matter what you do. They're going to peddle lies about you no matter what. So grow a spine and do the right thing!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:03 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

My partner won't turn off CNN. They are showing polls stating that 25% of Republicans will vote for a Sarah Palin presidency in the primaries.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:10 pm 
WRETCHED

Panda for President.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

dakini wrote:
My partner won't turn off CNN. They are showing polls stating that 25% of Republicans will vote for a Sarah Palin presidency in the primaries.

Only 25%? Too bad .. Obama would defeat her easily in the general.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:27 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

dandykins wrote:

I'm no longer a Missourian, but I helped out. I've been working and volunteering in shelters too long *not* to get involved just because I moved 30 minutes away from the state line.

We're pretty proud this morning. :)

The rest of the election makes me want a drink badly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:27 pm 
Hip Goiter

I did NOT know that Sean Duffy, newly elected representative, was on Real World. Holy ...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/11/03/the-r ... -congress/

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:32 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Sometimes I feel like writing a journal about this time and preserve it somehow so that when historians look back at this time they'll know we aren't all forking crazy...

Edit: Also. John Boehner says they're going to look at your health care bill... I hope he means to introduce universal health care.... *Crosses fingers*

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:11 am 
rowdily playing checkers

The major positives I'm taking away from this election: a) known racist and probable goatfucker Carl Paladino got trounced (at least New York remains relatively sane) and b) I can now accurately describe Sandra Lee as "The First Special Lady of New York".

COCKTAIL TIME.

(Or maybe First Ladyfriend is better? I'm torn.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:01 pm 
Grandfathered In

From HuffPo's Bob Cesca:

Bob Cesca wrote:
Clearly Americans were dissatisfied with the objective reality that the Obama administration and the congressional Democrats actually made things better by cutting the deficit by an historic $122 billion; creating upwards of three million new jobs; ending the war in Iraq; passing the largest middle class tax cut in history; and rescuing the economy from the brink of collapse. Not good enough, obviously.

(...)

Of course there's also the Flailing Rage Factor, which I tend to favor as a reason for yesterday's outcome more than ignorance or lack of Democratic marketing chops. For two years now, Americans have been incited by fakery and horror stories to the point of being pumped up into a 'roid raging mob chanting shallow platitudes and bumper sticker zingers—incoherently attacking Speaker Pelosi's face, and bent out of shape by the fact that there's not a doddering old white guy stumbling through the West Wing spinning grandfatherly yarns about American mornings and saintly cowboys.

(Not sure about the ending-the-war-in-Iraq part, but the rest of it seems dead-on to me.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next