| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am constantly having people ask me for cupcakes after making a few batches out of this book. I burned through my first copy after a few years of love, ruined with streaks of chocolate and eventually soaked with water (in a kitchen frenzy).

No matter the occasion, I can always bring cupcakes from this book and people will clear the plate! Even when I make a double batch.

I bought my second copy a few months ago and have continued baking my way through the book. My friends love the mint chocolate ones (which keep winning baking contests at work, with shock and awe when they find out they are vegan). Our other favorites are the toasted coconut mocha (name?) cupcakes and the coconut lime cupcakes.

So amazing!! Cupcakes are just such a great way to put a smile one someone's face!

Our favorites

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:57 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Probably a silly question, but I'm about to make cupcakes from VCTOTW with the vanilla buttercream frosting... should the frosted cupcakes be stored in the fridge or is a sealed container on the counter top ok?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Sealed container on the counter is preferable! The texture suffers a bit if you put them in the fridge. If your home is really really hot, your frosting might start to melt though. I haven't had much of a problem, and I've left cupcakes out for days in pretty warm apartments.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:04 pm 

Oh good, thanks. I was hoping it was ok out of the fridge because I think cakes taste better at room temp.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:26 pm 

Ok my frosting sucked. I followed the instructions in VCTOTW to a tee, piped a cupcake....and then the frosted just melted all over. :( WAH! I ended up just piping them all a bit in the middle and then they melted and spread out, but hopefully not down, the sides of the cupcake.

What's my problem? I don't think our house is too hot and it happened so quickly. The frosting was probably too runny before I piped, but I was a piping virgin and am more used to dealing with icing than piped frosting.
The cakes weren't warm either - I made them ahead of time last night.
Has anyone else had problems with the ratios of the buttercream frosting? Would putting in half the amount of soy milk help? Decrease the amounts of butter and shortening??

Now my little boy has runny Thomas the Tank Engine cupcakes. Luckily he can't talk enough yet to say 'hey Mum why didn't you just buy them instead from the nice cupcake shop down the road that does vegan cupcakes?'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:31 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I've made the fluffy buttercream frosting a number of times with no problem. It always comes out super fluffy and the perfect texture for piping. What did you use for the shortening and the margarine?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:42 pm 

I used Earth Balance for the butter and the organic non-hydrogenated Spectrum shortening.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:45 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Hmm, that's exactly what I use. Did you let the EB and shortening get really fluffy before adding the powdered sugar? That's what I do. Usually it's fairly stiff after I add the sugar and then I just add the soy milk little by little until it reaches the right consistency.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 pm 

You know, I had just started thinking that perhaps that is what I did wrong. It seemed to fluff up pretty quickly and I thought it was done, but it definitely wasn't stiff. My consolation is that now I am 'forced' to make more cupcakes next week to get it right. Adding the soy milk little by little is probably smarter too!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:23 am 

I've made that frosting many times without issue though I only use almond milk. Definitely mix it for as long as the recipe states, even though it looks done sooner. Also was it really humid in your house, because that can have an effect on how much milk you need to add.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 pm 

I made the smores cupcakes last week and am wondering if there is a typo in the recipe. It calls for 1/2 cup of oil (when most of the others only call for 1/3 cup) and the cake portion after baking seems very greasy. Has anyone else had this experience?

I did make my own graham cracker crumbs so I suppose that could contribute to it, like when you make your own bread crumbs they are more moist than when you buy them already ground into crumbs.

The cake batter was completely delicious though and I'll definitely re-try the recipe using less oil (unless someone else knows if there is a correction for this recipe).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just made the much margaritas for the first time. Best!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

MAN! i just made the pineapple right-side up ones (i think that's their name) and they are AMAZINGLY GOOD!!!! i don't know if i can go back to my other favourites now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:37 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I made basic chocolate cupcakes, they came out perfect. I don't even need frosting, just a glass of rice milk.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

rohai wrote:
I made the smores cupcakes last week and am wondering if there is a typo in the recipe. It calls for 1/2 cup of oil (when most of the others only call for 1/3 cup) and the cake portion after baking seems very greasy. Has anyone else had this experience?

I did make my own graham cracker crumbs so I suppose that could contribute to it, like when you make your own bread crumbs they are more moist than when you buy them already ground into crumbs.

The cake batter was completely delicious though and I'll definitely re-try the recipe using less oil (unless someone else knows if there is a correction for this recipe).

I made the s'mores cupcakes as written and didn't think they were too greasy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:43 pm 

molly wrote:
I made the s'mores cupcakes as written and didn't think they were too greasy!

Thanks! I'm guessing my graham cracker crumbs were not as dry as they should have been, I can see how they could really soak up the liquid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:18 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Would someone care to PM me the recipe for the marble ones? They're my favourites but now all my cookbooks is packed in somewhere in all my boxes before my move, and I would looove to make them for my going away-party! Can't find the recipe online.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:34 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

pannkakan wrote:
Would someone care to PM me the recipe for the marble ones? They're my favourites but now all my cookbooks is packed in somewhere in all my boxes before my move, and I would looove to make them for my going away-party! Can't find the recipe online.

Found it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:18 pm 

Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting success!! Thanks ShannonLea, I did what you said and made sure to beat the shortening and butter together really well first and to add the soy milk little by little. So obvious to me now.

S'Mores Cupcakes 260811 by ausfox78, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Adorable!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:01 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I want to make the crimson velveteen cupcakes as a 9x13 in cake (so a double recipe), but un-crimsoned. Can I sub water for the food dye or is there a better solution? I will be baking Friday, Sep. 2.

Edit: Oo, now I'm thinking of making my own dye with beet juice. Hmm...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:06 am 

Mucho Margarita cupcakes. To be honest I wasn't super excited about making these since I'm a big frosting girl and these didn't look like they had much in the photo. The recipe ended up making much more icing than I expected (which was thicker like frosting in a very good way) so that pleased me. I guess I was expecting it to be more like a thin glaze.

The taste test? Divine, there's no need to say anything else except that I'm sorry I ever doubted a recipe from this book.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:09 pm 
ugh

rohai wrote:
Mucho Margarita cupcakes. To be honest I wasn't super excited about making these since I'm a big frosting girl and these didn't look like they had much in the photo. The recipe ended up making much more icing than I expected (which was thicker like frosting in a very good way) so that pleased me. I guess I was expecting it to be more like a thin glaze.

The taste test? Divine, there's no need to say anything else except that I'm sorry I ever doubted a recipe from this book.

I love these, and the frosting is the best part!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:50 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I just got the book and saw that most of the frostings are made with margarine. For I don't like to use margaine, do you think I could replace it with coconut oil or something like that?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:33 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Question on the lychee cupcakes? The recipe for the icing as well as the cupcakes just say coconut milk. Do you suppose it means SoDelicious coconut milk or canned coconut milk like for bar stuffs? I'd guess canned just thinking about when refrigerated coconut milk came out, but not positive.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/SimplyVegan
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vegchicblog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next