| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shipping boxes halfway across the country...best way?...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

So, I'm supposed to ship my brother's possessions from Toronto to Regina. The total of his possessions, which are currently stored in the locker room in the basement of my apt building, would maybe to maybe fill a quarter of a cube van, say, so like a very small move. He mentioned to me in his letter that he plans on using Fed Ex to send his stuff so I did a very rough estimate of approx 20 boxes weighing a total of 200 kgs (very rough guess of the quantity and weight of his items) and it comes close to $600.00. I know bro doesn't have a lot of money, so does anyone know of a cheap and safe company that will ship his possessions? Or would you say $600.00 is about the going rate (before I did the online estimate, I figured for $500.00 so not a big difference from my estimate to the rough quote) for a job like this? I've never shipped stuff across the country like this before so any advice or experienced know-how is appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Shipping boxes halfway across the country...best way?...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 pm 
Wal-Mart's White Knight

At that weight and quantity, your shipment actually qualifies for real live freight service, so maybe inquire with smaller local companies who offer hundredweight or pallet load services. They'll chuck your stuff on the next truck going your way, and while it might take a little longer, it will save you money. They'll likely ask for a cubic measurement as well as a best guess at weight, so stack all the boxes in the closest approximation of a cube and measure the overall height, length and width of the cube first before calling.

Post subject: Re: Shipping boxes halfway across the country...best way?...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 am 
WELFARIST!

Thanks sameness! When my brother mentioned Fed Ex in his letter, I thought it was slightly odd as I see this as a small moving job rather than courier parcel thing, which is how I think of FedEx. My brother hasn't seen his possessions in maybe twenty years so I wonder if he's lost sight of how much he actually has (well, it's not much, but maybe it's more than he thinks). Anyway, I've written him a letter to see if he's stuck on Fed Exing or is open to other, maybe more affordable options. I will explore.

Also excellent for me to know how to properly stack and measure dimensions for the shipper's cubic measurement purposes.

Thanks again for your suggestion and help <3.