| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peace O Pie!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh my goodness, I was just in boston and took my brother there, and we were blown away. This place is so friggin good! I was leary since they use daiya, but I decided to take the risk and not get the tofu ricotta. We got The Fresh pizza, a Buffalo Chicken Calzone, and some Cheesy Bread. All I have to say is wow! My brother, who is the biggest carnivore I know loved the place. He ate nearly the whole calzone, and said he really liked the cheese. He was even picking the cheese off the pizza and eating it by itself. In his words, the cheese didn't taste like real cheese, but it had a strangely satisfying flavor haha. He said the same about the chicken in the calzone. I thought the calzone was a bit salty for my taste, but I'm glad my brother loved it.

Anyway, just thought I would share in case anyone is going to visit there anytime soon. Sorry I couldn't try to meet some of you New England folks, but I was only there a short time to visit family. I also visited Rawbert's Organic Garden and while I didn't like the food much, they had the best brownies both me and my brother have ever had. Those things are the size of bricks too! Great success!

Post subject: Re: Peace O Pie!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

That shiitake's awesome. i've been there several times and am always impressed-my future roommate is an omni and he said the daiya was decent for fake cheese. Thought it was good overall.

So glad your omni brother loved it! (Also so glad I live here haha)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Finally went there this week and I am in love with it! Want pizza all the time now. NOOOOMMMMM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:57 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I went for dinner on weds night! Got the white pizza and the buffalo chikn! Yummmmm

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I finally went in for brunch and it was just ok (sorry vegan restaurants for hating on you lately, but I feel compelled to give an honest review)

The service here is always sort of weird, and brunch was awkward. We were waiting for friends and asked for coffee while we waited but that took like 15 minutes to get because they only have one of those one cup at time machines, which is strange. Then there was weirdness trying to get soy milk for the coffee- it seemed to be MIA and the waitress had to go hunt for it... it's a long story. And then the food itself was just all right, but they were slow about bringing out new stuff as it got low (it is buffet-style). Overall it just felt very amateur, but the food's very expensive.

Pizza-wise, I think I'm one of the few people who misses TJ Scallywaggles.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:34 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

VeganFoodRocks wrote:
I went for dinner on weds night! Got the white pizza and the buffalo chikn! Yummmmm
We luuurrrvvve Peace O'Pie. The white pizza is my favorite; I have to get it every time. I also love that one with the the tempeh crumbles and sun-dried tomatoes...mmmm, this is reminding me that it's been too long since we had pizza!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:33 pm 
Cranky

Quarantined wrote:
I finally went in for brunch and it was just ok (sorry vegan restaurants for hating on you lately, but I feel compelled to give an honest review)

I thought brunch there was pretty meh, but I love the pizza and the cheesy breadsticks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

I really wanted to go here for a while (despite some issues I had with the owner who apparently bullied the location out from the hands of the poor kids at TJ Scallywaggles) and I was super excited that they had gluten free pizzas on Thursdays- so it's pretty disappointing that they discontinued that because they can't handle it or something. I'm sorry, but we've managed to make gluten free vegan pizza at home, and I really wanted to taste some from professionals. It just means one less vegan place I can look forward to visiting in Boston on my already tiny list. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

snamkrane wrote:
I really wanted to go here for a while (despite some issues I had with the owner who apparently bullied the location out from the hands of the poor kids at TJ Scallywaggles) and I was super excited that they had gluten free pizzas on Thursdays- so it's pretty disappointing that they discontinued that because they can't handle it or something. I'm sorry, but we've managed to make gluten free vegan pizza at home, and I really wanted to taste some from professionals. It just means one less vegan place I can look forward to visiting in Boston on my already tiny list. :(

I'm pretty sure they still have gluten free pizza! I saw it on the menu anyway, unless that's outdated now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:07 am 
ugh

sunnybear wrote:
snamkrane wrote:

I'm pretty sure they still have gluten free pizza! I saw it on the menu anyway, unless that's outdated now.

http://peaceopie.com/2011/08/02/an-anno ... zza-night/
Quote:
Dear Customers: We regretfully announce that we must discontinue Gluten-Free Thursdays until further notice. Due to a number of factors beyond our control, we are unable to offer a GF pizza option on an ongoing basis. In the future, we may revisit our ability to offer GF pizzas, as well as other GF options, and we are also investigating the possibility of producing GF pizzas for occasional special events. In the meantime, we apologize profusely for having to make what we know will be an upsetting change for our loyal customers (as it is for us).

Boo.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I really like Peace o Pie, but my body gets a little wonky with a lot of processed food, so it's an occasional treat. This thread made me remember that I still have a Groupon to use there, though! Yessss.

snamkrane wrote:

Why so tiny a list? I can think of plenty of places that do gluten-free! True Bistro and Pulse mark their options, and I think Red Lentil (which, granted, is vegetarian and not vegan--it just occurred to me that your list might be tiny because you prefer all-vegan places) marks their GF options. The same goes for Veggie Planet, and Veggie Galaxy (their diner location, which should open in a week or two!). Otherside cafe isn't veg*n, but has vegan and gluten-free stuff.

Also, I'm not sure what you heard about how Peace o Pie came to be, but I knew some of the people involved and am pretty sure they didn't do any bullying.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:02 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

vegetalion wrote:
I really like Peace o Pie, but my body gets a little wonky with a lot of processed food, so it's an occasional treat. This thread made me remember that I still have a Groupon to use there, though! Yessss.
and I think Red Lentil (which, granted, is vegetarian and not vegan--it just occurred to me that your list might be tiny because you prefer all-vegan places) marks their GF options.

We do have GF offerings! and they are all vegan already or can be made vegan! Just like the rest of our menu!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

scoutmob had a daily (weekly) deal last week. up to $8 off. anyone who has a smartphone can still access it until 11/14, but those without are SOL. sorry. i don't know why i didn't think to post it here.

http://scoutmob.com/revel/supercarrot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

snamkrane wrote:

Hi, I'm one of several owners of Peace o' Pie, so I'm not sure who you're referring to but, as a member of this forum, I'll step in. Would you mind letting me know how you received the impression that one or any of us owners bullied the location out of the people who ran TJ Scallywaggle's?

The fact of the matter is that we had absolutely nothing to do with TJ Scallywaggle's folding. The place wasn't doing well financially, the owner was looking to sell, but we weren't looking to pay the unrealistic amount he wanted for a restaurant that had generated so much ill will since the owner left day-to-day operations to the collective (I'm only speaking from word-of-mouth here; I know that some people liked Scallywaggle's a lot, and some even prefer it to Peace o' Pie for various reasons). I believe it was July 2009 when, reportedly, the collective threw one last all-you-can-eat night and then walked out of the place with all the proceeds in their pockets, leaving the owner with months worth of unpaid bills and no cash to pay them.

It was only a month later that we agreed to assume the lease payments and start remodeling so that we could start an entirely new restaurant. During the transition phase, we helped TJ's owner pay his bills by employing him (there was lots and lots and lots of cleaning, scrubbing, scouring, and we filled to overflowing a massive trash bin with all the junk left down in the basement, all at our cost). During the pre-opening phase, and over the two years since, we have sunk thousands of dollars into equipment that was not maintained, we have spent hundreds more on inspections and cleanings that hadn't been performed in years, and so on. Presumably none of this stuff was done because of a lack of income. So I do believe that financial causes are at fault. It certainly wasn't us.

I hope knowing all this satisfies your issues with one or all of the owners. Certainly if you have any questions, feel free to reply back (I've checked off the notify box), or email me directly at eric@peaceopie.com.

I appreciate your interesting our GF options, and regret that we had to discontinue them for the time being. Hopefully we can bring them back sooner rather than later, because I was a fan myself, and I very much miss having my weekly GF pizza.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:08 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Wait, wait, wait--the brunch is buffet-style? This has the possiblity to solve my savory vs sweet brunch time conundrum.

Also, thanks so much for the explanation, animalfriendly. I love me some Peace o' Pie. Although I think my enthusiasm scares some of the employees! Sometimes you just need slice of the day refills, what? So what?

Has anyone tried the sandwiches?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:26 am 
Tofu Pup

ndpittman wrote:
Although I think my enthusiasm scares some of the employees! Sometimes you just need slice of the day refills, what? So what?

Haha. Enthusiasm is awesome.

Happy to clear things up.

And *I* have tried the sandwiches. ;) A great change of pace. Ask for the Chik'n Parm if none of the menu sandwiches jump out at you. Also, the sandwich o' the Week is usually pretty creative and tasty.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:20 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

animalfriendly wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
Although I think my enthusiasm scares some of the employees! Sometimes you just need slice of the day refills, what? So what?

Haha. Enthusiasm is awesome.

Happy to clear things up.

And *I* have tried the sandwiches. ;) A great change of pace. Ask for the Chik'n Parm if none of the menu sandwiches jump out at you. Also, the sandwich o' the Week is usually pretty creative and tasty.
What what? I'm always so fixated on my white pizza that it's never occurred to me to get a sandwich, but my next order will definitely be a chick'n parm (well, and a white pizza)!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:58 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Desdemona wrote:
I'm always so fixated on my white pizza that it's never occurred to me to get a sandwich....

Ha, same here! Now I know what I'll be buying with my groupon...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I keep getting cravings for the Peace o Pie cheesy bread. I like the pizza too, but I really, really like the cheesy bread!

I miss TJ Scallywaggle's calzones. I don't know how they made them so yummy, but nothing has come close. I like Peace o Pie's pizza MUCH better than I liked TJ's. And I appreciate that the restaurant is nice and clean now. Only complaint = no bathroom.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:36 am 

I went in to pick ups take out order and the woman at the register had a customer of doom on the phone. Then she sold me a bike benefits sticker but they didn't actually have any! I was very sad.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

lillianp wrote:
I went in to pick ups take out order and the woman at the register had a customer of doom on the phone. Then she sold me a bike benefits sticker but they didn't actually have any! I was very sad.

Customer of doom?

Did they give you a refund on the sticker?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:20 pm 
Tofu Pup

Customer of Doom: Presumably a customer who, rather than use our website to find out all the information they want, they call instead and tie up the cashier for 10 minutes. And then they don't order.

Lillian, I sent an email to the manager to see if he can get some more stickers from the Bicycle Benefits people. We should never have run out. I'm sure you received a refund, but if there *was* a problem with that, please let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:18 am 

animalfriendly wrote:
Customer of Doom: Presumably a customer who, rather than use our website to find out all the information they want, they call instead and tie up the cashier for 10 minutes. And then they don't order.

Lillian, I sent an email to the manager to see if he can get some more stickers from the Bicycle Benefits people. We should never have run out. I'm sure you received a refund, but if there *was* a problem with that, please let me know.

I did get a cash refund, despite paying by card (I assume card refunds can't happen?) And I just meant that I came to the counter and it sounded like they were wrapping up but then ended up continuing on for 10-15 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:54 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Pi. wrote:
Only complaint = no bathroom.

Oh yeah, that did suck! We spent about 45 minutes in the car to get there, and then had to walk down the street to a fast food restaurant (yuck) to use a bathroom.

Man I wish I lived in boston, so I could have some white pizza right now!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

wait!!! i was able to use the bathroom past the kitchen. (was i not supposed to?) (or it's possible i am thinking of a different pizza place. but i'm pretty sure it was at peace o pie. or at least both.)