| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 317  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pregnancy Updates Thread
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:51 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Pinko, I am with you. Having family visit stresses me out, without all of the moving and giving birth on top of things. Christmas stresses me out for that matter. It doesn't seem unreasonable for them to postpone a visit until February or March, when you could probably use the help anyway (nap anyone?). Besides, what if they come visit only to find that you are staying at your parents' house?

For a looooong time, my ONLY daydream was of going to a salon by myself. When I finally did manage it, I was like, do whatever you want to my hair, just don't scream at me, vomit on me, or gnaw on my boobs. - coldandsleepy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:21 am 
Saggy Butt

i agree, you're not being crazy at all. your living situation then is uncertain & you'll be in that "baby could come any day now!" time. i understand your husband is probably excited about having his family for the holidays, but if you explain all the reasons why the timing is terrible & suggest they come once the baby has arrived & settled in a bit . . . ? how much have plans actually been made with the sister? hopefully she will be understanding of all the pressures that are going down around that time & be gracious about rescheduling.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Pinko wrote:
Please tell me I'm not crazy.

My husband was talking on the phone to his sister in California this evening, arranging for her and her husband to come visit at Christmas or right after. My due date is January 2nd. We're currently selling our house and the new owner takes possession on December 18th. Even if we're able to close extra fast on the next place we buy and seamlessly transition from one house to the next, we'll probably be moving like ten days before Christmas at the earliest. We'll then have a couple weeks to settle into our new place and get ready for the baby, with all the normal holiday stuff going on too. (And this is all best case scenario! Really, we might not have a place right away and end up crashing with my parents or renting an apartment or something. Gah! Stress ball!) I really, really, really feel like having company right then is a terrible idea. I want to be able to (hopefully!) settle into our new home and just be as relaxed as possible in the days leading up to the birth and I know I won't be able to do that with a house full of in-laws.

So I told him I didn't think it was a good idea. But I feel like a monster because he has no family nearby and he was really excited about having Christmas with his sister this year. But I really think I would completely lose my shiitake with the stress of house guests on top of everything else. Ugh.

Sorry for the novel. I just feel rotten.

You are seriously not remiss and absolutely not a monster for not wanting this, Pinko! Maxwell ended up being almost a month overdue because of the constant stream of relatives coming into town and expecting me to have him while they were there. My Nana went into the hospital to die on my original due date and I really felt that he would have come within that week had all gone well. Then started the constant stream of relatives coming into town and expecting to attend my homebirth. The stress of that, combined with the fact that my Nana was dying was just too much. He ended up being born on the only day of the month that nobody was in from out of town. One set of relatives had just left and another set was due to come the next day. This is your time, so don't be afraid to put your foot down!
As an aside, January babies are awesome! My birthday is the 4th and my oldest son's is the 25th.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:25 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

If I were you I would not allow this visit to happen until after the baby comes. I'm stressed just thinking about what you are going to be dealing with because of the move, holidays, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:36 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Pinko I agree, that would be a terrible time for his sister to visit. My father-in-law wanted to visit around kai's due date but I put my foot down and said no way. Especially since he always overstate his welcome and crashes on our couch for weeks. Even now he plans to visit in Jan and my husband said he has to stay at a hotel this time. You'll be stressed out enough with the move, all you should have to worry about then is making yourself comfortable and well rested for labor!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:41 am 
Married to the wolfman

Pinko, you are NOT crazy here. Some of my family wanted to come visit right after the Emperor was born and I flat out told them no... and I am so so so glad I did. My firm belief is that if you're not sure you want a particular person there, if you think there's even a 50% chance they might cause you stress, then you just don't need that person there until your kid is a bit older. (And is outside your uterus!)

And that's even WITHOUT moving house on top of everything else!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:30 pm 

Thanks, ladypeople.

We talked about it and he's going to let them know it's not a good time. They'd be driving up, so it's not like anyone bought plane tickets or anything. I still feel kind of bad, but I know this is the only sane option. There will be so many more chances for family visits once things settle down.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

agree. sounds crazy overwhelming. Is she the helpful sort or the expect to be treated like a guest sort?

I would only even think about the yes if she was the type to do verything for you while you took naps. most family isn't like that though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i took my glucose test today and got a flu shot. needles make me nervous. the flu shot went fine, but when they drew my blood for the glucose test i really tensed up and got light headed. i think i freaked out the poor nurse. ugh, i just hope i don't have g. diabetes.

the nurse asked me how far along i was, and i honestly didn't know. i mean, i have an idea, i know my due date, but off the top of my head i'm not keeping track of the weeks/months that closely (i just looked it up, i'm 27 weeks. that's what i guessed.). being pregnant the second time is so different. it just doesn't feel as all encompassing as it did the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:03 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

pinko- i am glad that they are going to come at a different time. My husband and i moved when i was in my last month, and then he left the country for a few weeks- it is doable- but you should get to say what you can handle.

bobbybrown- haha! i have to admit, i was never sure how far along i was- it was always an -ish thing for me, unless i was in my yoga class with a girls who's due date was two days before mine- then i'd look at her and find out how many weeks we were.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Not much is happening with me...i'm in the middle of my 12th week and i'm convinced that my brain is slowly turning into a big pile of mush. Its useless for people to try to have an intelligent conversations with me because I can't follow along at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I am 35 weeks and I have a nasty cold. I caved and have been taking tylenol and benadryl, as sparingly as I can stand. I don't like taking anything, but I still have to go to work and function. This kid is fully developed anyway, just packing on weight, so I'm probably feeling guilty over nothing. I am so, so achy. Someone come over and make me soup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:30 pm 
Chip Strong

I hope you start feeling better quickly mittenmacher! I feel a cold coming on today. Normally I would start drinking the Emergen-C, but that's probably not a good idea now.

My appetite has definitely increased but I'm still struggling to find foods that I actually want to eat. At least I'm eating more than toast and apples now! I have also found that my husband and I can't eat in the same room if he is eating something smelly that is different from what I'm eating.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:33 pm 

I wish I could bring you soup, mitten! Unfortunately, I think I'm about as far from Maine as it's possible to be in the 48 contiguous states. I hope you feel better soon!

I'm 31 weeks now, with nothing exciting to report. I've been really tired this last week. Like, first trimester tired. I think we're having a little growth spurt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

jenna! how did I miss the announcement that you are pregnant again!? congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:20 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Megan My Dear wrote:
jenna! how did I miss the announcement that you are pregnant again!? congrats!

i don't know how you missed it since i started my own "i'm having a baby!" thread!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So besides the brain turning to mush and the mini drama of the downs syndrome testing i'm super sick now with a massive head and chest cold. This is just not my week!!

On the fun side of things I felt teeny tiny little kick like things in my belly last night and it definitely wasn't gas. It reminded me a lot of when I first felt Reno moving around down there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Jenna- The first kicks are so awesome. Lucky you!! Hope the cold goes away fast.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i will go find the thread! i am a total slacker mod. I need to get on my game. ;)

Congrats again! yay for little baby kicks. I miss those sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:59 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm sorry about your cold Jenna! I have had the same thing for going on a week; I think if I'm not better by Monday I'm going to go to the doctor and make sure I don't have some kind of infection. I don't want to be sick when I go into labor!

Drink some ginger tea and take a hot shower and feel better!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:40 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I had my first real baby kick last night! It actually shocked the crepe out of me since I've just been having the little baby rumblings and popcorn feelings up until now. I'll be 20 weeks on Monday, but I am pretty sure I have anterior placenta, so I thought I would feel movement later on.

Has anyone had super itchy skin while pregnant? My skin is so unbearably itchy on my arms and legs that I'm just covered in these super gross red bumps and scabs from scratching until my skin bleeds. ick. My doctor didn't seem very concerned, but it is driving me insane.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:56 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Cool, ducky! I will be 36 weeks on Monday, and I am getting kicks and punches so strong sometimes I think my tummy will split open. Just wait until you can see the baby's movement from the outside!

The skin on my belly has been itchy, but that's it. One thing that has happened is many of my freckles became 3D. I hope they go back to being flat...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

When I was pregnant with Henry I was crazzzzzzzy itchy and I used some sort of skin calming lotion that helped. I can't remember what it was called though,

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

aw, yay for kicks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh the itchiness was the worst! I found getting a very high quality lotion (like a vit e lotion) helped a bit. Good luck!!

And mitten, I've been meaning to PM you, but things have been so crazy lately. Us mainahs have to get together before littlemitten gets here!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 317  Next