| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP! My sister is GF and wants to try going veg!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 am 
Tofu Pup

Hey everyone,

My younger sister is Gluten Free (because of allergies) and she has loads of health problems and I have been encouraging her to go veg, as I suspect it will really help!

She is going to try it for a week from Monday, so I thought I would cook meals in the evenings for the two of us to have, but I really need to make a good impression if she's going to stick at it! Any recipes you can give me to help/impress/convert her???

Thanks so much!
Charis xox

Post subject: Re: HELP! My sister is GF and wants to try going veg!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:16 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Well, I like the Golden Potato and Tempeh Casserole by fatfreevegan.com. You can find the recipe there. I also like Isa's BBQ Mango Beans and her Caeser Chavez Dressing on top of a big old salad. A lot of food but you can eat small portions. Tee hee!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i make Katie's tempeh wingz with gluten-free breadcrumbs (i make my own - so easy!) and brown rice flour and really super love them: http://donteatoffthesidewalk.com/the-zi ... e-recipes/

i make this tofu marsala with brown rice flour and it's another favorite of mine: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/tofu_ ... rsala.html

i also love making bbq'd (homemade sauce, too!) soy curls and putting them on gluten-free buns with coleslaw - so yum!

eggplant parmesan is really easy to make gluten-free - and rock'n if you have time to make your own marinara. gluten-free lasagna is gloriously good with a cashew-white bean cheeze for the ricotta, too!

i'm a big fan of indian foods - they're generally cheap to make and oh-so yummy! i recently made hara bhara kabab, chickpea-red bean rajma and bhindi sabji: http://happyveganface.blogspot.com/2011 ... s-and.html & before those i had made malia kofta, red lentil dahl, and cilantro-corn fritters http://happyveganface.blogspot.com/2011 ... ganza.html (can you tell i love me some indian eats. ahahahahah!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:11 am 

happyfaced wrote:
eggplant parmesan is really easy to make gluten-free - and rock'n if you have time to make your own marinara. gluten-free lasagna is gloriously good with a cashew-white bean cheeze for the ricotta, too!

would love a link to these recipes. My husband isn't fond of the rice pasta or lasagna so maybe he would go for these. I can get away with the lasagna pasta in lasagna but he hates the spaghetti and the other types of pasta made from rice. Truthfully I am not crazy about them either but doesn't bother me that much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:00 am 
Tofu Pup

Hi, I'm new to PPK. It's nice to see a GF forum!

Once you get over the shock of it, the GF-vegan nexus is actually larger than a person would think. Interestingly enough, I've prepared far more vegan meals since going gluten-free. You'd think that being GF would be restrictive enough, but it actually opened up whole new avenues of cooking.

Our current favorite GF-vegan recipe is enchiladas. I've modified the filling in the enchiladas from Veganomicon many times. The original fillings were very good, but we've settled on a mushroom-kale-leek filling that gets devoured by my resident carnivore. Devoured.

Curries are really good GF options. We had the red-lentil cauliflower curry from Veganomicon last night. Also met with strong approval from the peanut gallery.

The possibilities are really endless. Salads, stir-fries, grilled veggies, veggie tacos, the list goes on. Personally, I'd avoid the GF-pastas while trying to knock it out of the park. They're fine in a pinch or when I really really really need a bowl of pasta, but none of them are so great that I'd serve them to company.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:23 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

noelalexis2000 wrote:
happyfaced wrote:

would love a link to these recipes. My husband isn't fond of the rice pasta or lasagna so maybe he would go for these. I can get away with the lasagna pasta in lasagna but he hates the spaghetti and the other types of pasta made from rice. Truthfully I am not crazy about them either but doesn't bother me that much.

you know, i find that with rice pasta, brown rice pasta is really good - i looooove the Tinkyada brand and the key is to not cook it for as long as they specify in the directions. we only cook our Tinkyada brown rice pasta for 8-9 minutes (then rinse it will cook water) instead of the recommended 16-18 minutes.

anywhoo.........i don't have a recipe for the lasagna - i just make my own marinara, white bean-cashew cheeze (2 cups cooked white beans + 1/2 cup raw cashews + 1/4 tsp sea salt + a bit of water + a good squeeze of lemon juice and puree in a blender until smooth - just make sure it stays kinda thick and doesn't get too runny - so start with a little water) + veggies i like (portobello mushrooms, spinach, caramelized onions, eggplant and kale are a few favorites of mine - i saute them beforehand) + herbed tofu crumbles. then i get to layering and bake it all (covered) on 350 for 50 minutes and uncover for the last 10 minutes of baking (i usually top the lasagna with gluten-free bread crumbs, too).

here's how we make our eggplant parmesan (and you can use tapioca starch instead of the teff flour): http://happyveganface.blogspot.com/2009 ... plant.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:32 am 

happyfaced wrote:
noelalexis2000 wrote:
happyfaced wrote:

you know, i find that with rice pasta, brown rice pasta is really good - i looooove the Tinkyada brand and the key is to not cook it for as long as they specify in the directions. we only cook our Tinkyada brown rice pasta for 8-9 minutes (then rinse it will cook water) instead of the recommended 16-18 minutes.

anywhoo.........i don't have a recipe for the lasagna - i just make my own marinara, white bean-cashew cheeze (2 cups cooked white beans + 1/2 cup raw cashews + 1/4 tsp sea salt + a bit of water + a good squeeze of lemon juice and puree in a blender until smooth - just make sure it stays kinda thick and doesn't get too runny - so start with a little water) + veggies i like (portobello mushrooms, spinach, caramelized onions, eggplant and kale are a few favorites of mine - i saute them beforehand) + herbed tofu crumbles. then i get to layering and bake it all (covered) on 350 for 50 minutes and uncover for the last 10 minutes of baking (i usually top the lasagna with gluten-free bread crumbs, too).

here's how we make our eggplant parmesan (and you can use tapioca starch instead of the teff flour): http://happyveganface.blogspot.com/2009 ... plant.html

Thank you so much! I cook the pasta about 10 minutes after discovering it was mush from cooking to long following the directions. However, I do not rinse, maybe I need too. Will try your recipes, thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:17 pm 
Tofu Pup

There are a lot of things you can cook at home that are both vegan and gluten free. The hard part is when you want to venture out of your house without carrying a whole suitcase of food. (If you live in a small, midwest city, as I do.) Meals loaded with veggies are great for everyone--vegan and otherwise, so if committing 100% to a vegan diet stresses her out, just encourage to try some of the tasty recipes mentioned above, and if she's veg 90% of the time, that's healthier than only 15%. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:19 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My favourite is nachos or corn tacos, or rice noodles stir fries.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

What kind of food does your sister love the most? Try and make her favourites so she can see that you can be gf & veg*n.

Here's another great recipe for eggplant parmesan.

The red lentil dal and chickpea piccata from AFR are easy and delicious. I love everything I've made made from Viva Vegan and lots of the corn-based meals in there are gluten free.

Check out xgfx for more info & recipes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

One of the biggest things at first is to try things that are naturally gf/vegan - without crazy or difficult or expensive substitutions. My mindset now is so that if I try a sub and it messes up it's no huge deal, but when I first started out with gf and veg it was an emotional trauma to have a kitchen failure.

Fruits and vegetables, rice, quinoa, millet, corn, herbs, nuts, beans, coconut, pure spices (have to watch spice mixes & cheap versions cut with fillers though): any combination of them is gf/vegan.

And now I want that eggplant parm.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:15 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My blog (link below) has some gf/vegan recipes if you'd like to chek it out.

http://www.beyondwillpower.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyond-Willpower-Vegan-Weight-Loss-Journey-Blog/145691962154879 <<< Feel free to "like"