| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GF and low protein
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:09 am 
ol' garly cooch

Friend of mine at the HS reunion recently had a kidney removed. E-coli almost killed her and her kidney never recouped, so they took one out. She has to eat very little gluten and low protein. Did I mention low sodium too? What in the hell is she supposed to eat? Can you give me some GF/low pro/low so ideas besides raw fruit and veggies?

Thanks a bunch,

xo J

Post subject: Re: GF and low protein
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:07 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This isn't incredibly helpful, but gluten-free pretzels (like Ener-G or Glutino brand) would be a good snack idea. They're delicious, and I'm almost completely sure they have no protein. Glutino makes an unsalted version, so that takes care of the sodium issue. Also, dried fruit? That's all I got, sorry.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Unsalted macadamia nuts might be appropriate. They're only 4% protein (and very low quality protein at that).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:18 am 
ol' garly cooch

Thanks, everyone! I just can't imagine having a diet like that. I knew my PPK peeps would come through!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:01 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i think yummies like zucchini "noodles" with homemade marinara would be yummers - eggplant parmesan is always a favorite of mine, and they can eat it over the zucchini noodles, too. if corn is low enough protein wise i'd suggest polenta in a variety of forms, and tabouli made with cauliflower instead of quinoa is always pretty tasty. fried green tomatoes are a favorite of mine, and what about stuffed baked potatoes (cheezy sauce (i'm wonderinf if the coconut milk is lower in protein than hemp, soy, rice or almond milk), scallions, a spinkle of smoked paprika...mmmm!)? those might be alright....or sweet potatoes with coconut butter or stuffed with kale if they're not too high in protein. this is one of my favorite squash recipes i like to make gluten-free (and use a salt-free seasoning here, too): http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10853. oh, and those white rice vermicelli noodles seen in vietnamese dishes might be lower in protein than the brown rice pasta - that might make for a delicious option. perhaps try kittee's pho with all the fixins, less salt, and hold the protein. w00t!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Does your friend need to avoid magnesium and potassium as well as the sodium, protein and gluten? My mom had kidney failure and had to avoid those things as well, which ruled out most beans, potatoes and bananas. Just wondering.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:01 am 
Seagull of the PPK

my best friend has advanced hep C and is on a similar diet- no nightshades, low protein, GF. She also has lost her appetite, mostly, so she has to really think about where every calorie comes from.
She does like yogurt, and makes yogurt smoothies. I got her on green smoothies for a while, but it's not consistent. She eats a lot of fruit, and boxed GF breakfast cereal is probably where the vast majority of her calories come from.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:38 am 
ol' garly cooch

Again, thanks! I have another friend who adopted a boy that has to also have a low protein diet. I'll let her know all of this too.