| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Menu feedback please?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:56 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm visiting my parents at the end of September. They've been very supportive of my vegan diet and, as a way to express my gratitude (and show them that I'm living on a diet of raw tofu and arugula), I'd like to cook them dinner. I haven't been vegan for very long, and I usually cook fairly simple one-pot meals for myself, so I don't want to attempt anything too elaborate (may save that for the holidays). As for cookbooks, I have VWAV, Veganomicon, Urban Vegan, AVK, Vegan Diner, Eat Drink and Be Vegan, Vive le Vegan, Viva Vegan, 500 Vegan Recipes, Hearty Meals, Terry Walters's Clean Food and Clean Start, and a couple of soup cookbooks from Anna Thomas and Nava Atlas.

My parents don't like very spicy foods, so I'm thinking nothing with curry, ginger, etc. They love Italian food, but I don't want to make them pasta with marinara - they eat that a lot. I don't think they'd go for tofu, tempeh, or seitan just yet. I'm thinking just a fresh fall meal. Here are the recipes I'm thinking of.

(1) Mushroom-walnut pate from Veganomicon
(2) A butternut squash and roasted poblano soup from Anna Thomas's Love Soup cookbook.
(3) Chickpeas romesco from Veganomicon.

Thoughts? Thank you!!

Post subject: Re: Menu feedback please?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:00 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i haven't made the other two recipes (my family are NOT chickpea fans, and wouldn't eat anything with recognizable chickpeas in it), but i can tell you that i made roasted butternut soup for my mother, who couldn't stop talking about how amazing it was. That led to me roasting all sorts of stuff whenever I cook for her. It really impressed her- i think you can't go wrong with it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:42 am 
ol' garly cooch

Lasange from AFR. Nice leafy salad with AFR Goddess Dressing. Chocolate Puddin' cake from Vegan a Go-Go. That is all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:33 am 
WRETCHED

Actually, I'd vote against the Lasagne from AFR. I'd either go with pumpkin based ziti from Veganomicom. The eggplant-potato moussaka from Veganomicom is also a good choice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:39 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

linanil wrote:
Actually, I'd vote against the Lasagne from AFR. I'd either go with pumpkin based ziti from Veganomicom. The eggplant-potato moussaka from Veganomicom is also a good choice.

Yes! This is exactly what I was going to say, I have made both for fearful family and they went over really well. And see if you think you could do the eggplant rollatini in Veganomicon, that one was very very popular and easily finished with pasta and the extra marinara and a salad.

I think your menu sounds delicious too but I'd add a starch and a green with the chickpeas romesco like polenta and a salad maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:20 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks for the tips! I would definitely serve the chickpeas romesco with a starch - probably quinoa, maybe with some arugula mixed in. The pumpkin ziti has been on my to-try list forever. My only hesistancy about making it for my parents is that they typically shy away from really heavy dinners (though maybe they'd make an exception for a special occasion). Is the pumpkin ziti pretty rich and heavy? I'd probably do a simple salad instead of soup if so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Yeah, pumpkin ziti! Everyone loves that. It's kind of rich (though I wouldn't say heavy), and you can always serve them a small portion of the ziti with a huge salad. My parents love the moussaka too. I guess those two dishes are universally omni-family approved. The Caesar salad in V'Con is also a favourite.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Good choice on the walnut-mushroom pate. My omni friends go absolutely nuts when I make this and leave me no leftovers.

I too vote for the pumpkin ziti. I wouldn't say it's any richer than the majority of Italian dishes - certainly less heavy than a baked macaroni. If you make it, definitely use the cashew ricotta (yes, there's some tofu, no, neither you nor your parents will be able to tell), make homemade breadcrumbs, and seriously seriously, don't leave out the sage. But this is another dish that omnis love and it's super impressive.

As awesome as the poblano and butternut squash soup sounds (seriously, must find this recipe), you might want to do a salad instead to lighten up between courses - or really really small bowls of soup and serve the ziti with a salad. It will also give some new textures and colors to your deep rooty fall menu.

Good luck!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:10 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Another vote for the pumpkin ziti. My family really loved it and it does go with your autumnal theme. That being said, the Veganomicon recipe for lasagna, topped with the pine nut cream is also stellar and when I made it, my dad said it was the best vegan thing I had ever made and that it was the only dish that didn't leave him wanting to say, "It was good, but it'd be better with some chicken/ground beef/etc." Pretty high praise for Isa's recipe, if you ask me. Not sure about the butternut squash soup or the chickpeas romesco, but they both sound lovely as well.

The walnut mushroom pate is probably my favorite spread. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd make it all the time eat it at every meal... Haha.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks everyone! You've convinced me that the pumpkin ziti definitely needs to make an appearance with my family in the near future, if not on this visit, then definitely at Thanksgiving or Christmas. The mole skillet pie too!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:25 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

LaurenL wrote:
Thanks everyone! You've convinced me that the pumpkin ziti definitely needs to make an appearance with my family in the near future, if not on this visit, then definitely at Thanksgiving or Christmas. The mole skillet pie too!

I made it for omnis for American thanksgiving last year and for my family a couple of xmas' ago. It's definitely a good holiday dish--many of the people I've made it for mostly ignored the turkey in favour of the ziti! Actually, my family decided to have a vegetarian xmas dinner last year because I've wowed them so many times in the past with the vegan option, and they are no longer afraid they'll go hungry. My mum even bought v'com after loving the moussaka and the ziti!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:37 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the pumpkin ziti for my family and it actually had mixed reviews. One being from me. I didn't really taste much in it. besides a ton of oil and sage from the bread crumbs. Very rich too, well for us. So if your family is a little iffy on the richness factor, or sensitive to meals with a good amount of fat, I might not make it.

The walnut mushroom pate is amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:57 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Dare I ask? Veganomicon Mushroom Walnut Pate vs. Vegan Table Mushroom Walnut Pate?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:07 pm 
Dead by dawn

Oh, make the chickpea romesco! It's soooo good! And make the saffron garlic rice to go with. Then you can save the pumpkin ziti for the holidays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:12 am 
Smuggling Raisins

LaurenL wrote:
I love the pumpkin ziti too, and made it for one of the holiday dinners last year. I think it's a perfect holiday meal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:10 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I made the pumpkin ziti for my omni family on Saturday and everyone went nuts over it. It is soooo good!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:38 pm 
Saggy Butt

monkeytoes wrote:
Oh, make the chickpea romesco! It's soooo good! And make the saffron garlic rice to go with. Then you can save the pumpkin ziti for the holidays.

I agree with this. My family would look at me like I had two heads if I served them a main dish with pumpkin in it, though, so make of that what you will.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:14 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I like your menu! serve the saffron garlic rice or polenta with the chickpeas.

My omni friends LOVE that dish.