| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to sewing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:47 am 
Bought $40 worth of Stonewall's Jerquee

This Xmas my dearest got me a sewing machine after many months of me going shopping and proclaiming that 'I could make that'. Well it turns out all I knows how to work is the pedal.
So fellow crafty PPK'ers what is the best place for me to begin. I got a sewing book as well but it all seems like gobbledygook right now.
I was thinking of reconstructing my favourite dress that is only two pieces of fabric as a starting point.
Any books or resources that would help me?

Post subject: Re: New to sewing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:31 pm 
Cranky

Start simple! Master sewing a straight line before you try reconstructing a dress without a pattern! I made a bunch of cloth napkins before I attempted anything more complicated.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:32 pm 
<3

I too say start simple. I like to sew though I'm not great at it. I mostly stick to straight line, simple home stuff. But it's fun to make your own curtains etc, pet blankets.

Try youtube. I use them for knitting help videos. I'm sure they have sewing stuff too. tipnut.com has free pattern links.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:37 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I bought Knitting for Dummies but it was completely useless. I've had more success by sewing alongside friends. They taught me how the use the machine and when they saw I was having to physically yank fabric through the machine they figured out that my feed dogs were broken. They also pat me on the back when so get frustrated that I throw my work across the room. LOL. If you don't know anyone who sews I would try Youtube tutorials. Although I wish there were slow-mo youtube vids because I can't tell what they are doing with the machine and I have to rewind it about ten thousand times.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:37 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

Start simple and learn your machine. I am by no means a designer but I love making fresh pillow covers for my cheap couch pillows. I also have fun making simple simple skirts for the girls.
Simplicity has some great, easy patterns that can be dressed up a bit when you start getting comfortable with the process.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:35 am 

Sew I set-up the machine last night and learned how to adjust stitch tension and the like. Next will be to get some fabric, any ol fabric and start practicing different stitches and hem techniques before moving onto more expensive fabric.
I have sewed before just not consistently and not with any guidance. Kind of fumbling in the dark. I dearly want to make a shrug as I am not a sweater kinda girl so that will be my first pattern.
Thanks for your advice peeps!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I just got my first sewing machine as well. I got a short lesson from my boyfriend's momma (she's the one that got me the machine), but she lives a few hours away, so I think I'm going to take lessons at a store here. I think my first two projects will me a new curtain-y thing for our back door and a skirt for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:56 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

djsuz wrote:
Next will be to get some fabric, any ol fabric and start practicing different stitches and hem techniques before moving onto more expensive fabric.

Don't just get 'any old' fabric! If you're learning how to sew, get a cotton muslin or other basic woven cloth. Keep in mind there are different needles, tensions, techniques, etc. for different types of fabric and if you've got the wrong combination your work may come out looking less than its best, which will frustrate you and lead you to believe it's your fault.

I second what the others have said. Learn how to sew different things, like a straight line, a curved line, a corner (keep the needle in the fabric, lift up the presser foot, and pivot the fabric). Equally as important is learning how to properly finish and press something. I've seen plenty of beautifully made garments that still look amateurish because they haven't been pressed or topstitched.

I really recommend either getting a sewing teacher or asking friends who sew to mentor you and get your on your feet, especially if you've never sewn or made a full garment before.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:07 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I bought a sewing machines months ago because I'm interested in making costumes, but it has been collecting dust because I am super intimidated by the thing. I think I would learn best by going to a sewing class, but I am nervous.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:53 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

djsuz...check out groupon today (dec 31), there is a coupon for sewing classes in Toronto!
http://www.groupon.com/toronto/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:50 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I also got a sewing machine for Christmas and I haven't taken it out yet. Next week I'll go and buy some fabric and some patterns and try. I used to help grandma and I remember some of the basics, but certainly a class would help. Too bad it'd be in German and I'm not sure I'd understand enough.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:18 am 

von m wrote:
djsuz...check out groupon today (dec 31), there is a coupon for sewing classes in Toronto!
http://www.groupon.com/toronto/

I saw that too! It's on for 3 days so I have plenty of time to procrastinate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:45 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hi all!

Another noob to sewing, and I need some advice. Any specific books or links to help me get started? I can do some basics (straight line, corners, and I can cut a simple pattern), but beyond a simple apron or pyjama pants, I'm useless, and I really want to start making my own clothes.

If you would share a link to a video tutorial or book you've actually used and reccomend, I'd be grateful.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:43 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I think I need to start smaller, like cafe curtains.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am still very much a beginner sewer, but one thing I have learned is that ironing is probably the most important step of all. Iron at pretty much every step - if you're using a nice, crisp cotton you'll be able to get away with many fewer pins and, with almost any fabric, your final product will look much nicer than if you didn't iron. I think someone already mentioned that, but seriously, iron.

I'd definitely recommend starting with easy things, pillow cases, curtains, pj pants, maybe a tote bag. Then give some basic skirts and tops a try. Somehow I find tops much less intimidating than skirts even if there are more fiddly steps involved. I think colette and kwik sew patterns have the best instructions that I've come across. I've also had good luck with jalie and simplicity tops (especially the ones with A-D cup options in the pattern) but the instructions aren't quite as detailed. Normal vogue patterns are usually too hard for beginners (or at least for me thus far) and i've found that the very easy very vogue patterns haven't turned out well (but I think some of that may have been poor fabric choice on my part, so you may have better luck). I like the Built By Wendy series of books, but find her instructions too slapdash to be really helpful (I've knit for ages and understand fashion terms and how clothes are put together and she covers that basic material well, but I don't necessarily know the best way to sew in a facing, for example, and that's where I find her instructions lacking). However, if you like the freedom of just having basic guidelines and then having at it, I would very much recommend them (they also come with some basic patterns, which are handy to have around).

My mom taught me how to use a sewing machine and sew a straight line, but everything else I picked up from reading blogs, using patterns with good instructions and trial and error. I bought a few sewing books when I started (Built By Wendy, the Vogue sewing book) but don't pull them out that often. Here are some blogs I like:
http://loweryourpresserfoot.blogspot.com
http://selfishseamstress.wordpress.com/
http://www.ericabunker.com/
http://theslapdashsewist.blogspot.com
They all make gorgeous clothes and explain (to varying degrees) how they alter patterns to better suit them. There are tons of other fantastic sewing blogs - just follow the links out from these. I just have illusions that I'll make beautiful, professional wardrobe-type clothes one day, and that's what these ladies do (even though I wear jeans to work at least twice a week and have very little need for fancy work dresses).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:43 am 
Tofu Pup

I love sewing....!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:51 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I really want to take the DIY Dress-Up E-Course at A Beautiful Mess. It includes a bunch of different projects from altering clothes to making new pieces or even bags. The course was designed for anyone from beginner to more experienced. I have to wait til I can buy a machine with my next check, but I'm really excited.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have One Yard Wonders and I love it! It covers the basics and then some, and is really easy to understand (clear instructions, good explanations of techniques, and little drawings). The projects range from very simple straight-line sewing to more complicated projects like purses and skirts. And every project only needs one yard of fabric (not counting things like interfacing, etc for some of the more involved projects), so you don't break the bank on your first few projects. And none of the projects require any sort of fancy functions or attachments. And it includes a bunch of patterns!

Some of the best advice from this book:
Always iron your material before you cut out your pieces and sew. This makes for much smoother sailing (or sewing).
Patience!
Love the fabric you are using.

I am by no means a master sewer, but I've made tons of stuff from this book. Mail organizers, bib, Folklore bag, gardening apron (best apron ever!), doggie bandana.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother