| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where do you study?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:24 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Or read, work, etc.? I need someplace that isn't my house or school. It's trickier for me because I need an accessible place with an accessible bathroom (so Grindcore is sadly out), BUT I still want to hear all your favorite places to go sit and concentrate on stuff for a few hours.

Post subject: Re: Where do you study?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I like One Shot. It's not too far from the Girard El stop. The downstairs is pretty small though, but there is a wheelchair ramp and a downstairs bathroom. Plus they get Vegan Treats.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:44 pm 
Saggy Butt

I always end up at Green Line on Baltimore or Clark Park because they're both a block from my apartment (I moved, not sure if you knew that). The one on Baltimore is not accessible, but the one on Locust is. We could have a study party!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:11 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

The library! And they BETTER be accessible.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:00 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Penn's libraries are open to the public with some rules and stipulations. If you have an ID from certain other schools in the area with whom UPenn has a reciprocal relationship you can get in on the weekends and even borrow materials; otherwise, the "general public" has weekday access until 6pm, though really you only need to enter by then. Specifics: http://www.library.upenn.edu/access

For what it's worth, of the Penn libraries I recommend Van Pelt (the main library) if you actually need materials or just want to cruise their vast stacks and periodicals. Otherwise, for a better study environment I prefer the Biomed library. There's also the Museum Library, for aesthetics and interesting things to look at.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:03 pm 

I just realized that I recommended a school as an alternative to school. Well, if UPenn isn't your school then at least it may still be a break from your school. I'm a Drexel grad student and use Penn way more than I use Drexel's sorry facilities.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:50 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't realize Penn libraries were so open. I go to Temple, so any place else would be a nice change of pace.

Carolanne- I like the study party idea! The Locust Green Line should be easy to get to by bus too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:54 pm 

Dynahmite wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't realize Penn libraries were so open. I go to Temple, so any place else would be a nice change of pace.

I feel you. I used to live near Temple so I used Paley on occasion. There are like, three functional power outlets in the whole dang library. Drexel's library is nicer, but its collections are seriously lacking.

I'm technically still a student, so I'd be down for a study party too. My office isn't far from Green Line - on campus at Drexel - so there or anywhere in West Philly or Center City is doable for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:37 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

You can get into Drexel's library with a Temple ID and they'll log you into the computers if you need to use them. It's not as nice, but far quieter than Temple. You could also go to Temple's Center City campus.