| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next
 Post subject: Re: Graduate Students of the PPK, Assemble!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:10 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

P-J wrote:
I have people talk to me all the time as though academia is some fantasy world in which people sit around reciting poetry and eating luscious cake slices topped with lemon wedges and edible flowers.
Actually, the edible flowers were a big part of the reason I chose this program (Tufts)!

P-J wrote:
Also...do you ever get comments like 'oh, you're not a real doctor...'?
My standard line is that I want to be the kind of doctor who doesn't help people. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about then floppy hat!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just finished up law school last Spring. Still alive!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:41 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

P-J wrote:
superhero- what program are you in? I am in my second week of clinical psych psyd! Do you have to do a lot of research for your program?

I'm at Miami University in Ohio, where are you? It's a clinical psych PhD program, so yeah I'm already pretty involved in research responsibilities. I love it though! That's what I'm here for and what I hope to do for the rest of my days!

I haven't really gotten the "not a real doctor" thing, but I do get people who are confused about psychologist vs. psychiatrist and assume that I know things about general medicine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:19 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

P-J wrote:

Also, for those of you who are not an MD, do you ever get comments like 'oh, you're not a real doctor...'?

only as a joke, usually. my students all call me "doctor," and it's pretty cool!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

I had to get a lab coat today! maybe someone will call me Doctor, too!

I do kind of like the idea of having an MS and making people call me Master

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm in my second year of my master's program. Last week, on the very first day of class, I initiated myself again by drinking a pot of coffee and getting the coffee sweats. Happy school year!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:33 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I had to get a lab coat today! maybe someone will call me Doctor, too!

I do kind of like the idea of having an MS and making people call me Master

you most definitely should!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm doing a Masters while working full-time, because I make poor decisions. It's definitely not easy, mainly because of my workload (at the full-time job) at the moment. Last semester wasn't a problem, but since then we've had a lot of people leave my team at work so it's pretty much just me and my manager working crazy hours on this huge project.

Last year was my first year working full-time, and I didn't study at all. It was like a holiday. Come five o'clock, all I had to think about was what to make for dinner.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:42 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I have my MA and I am starting my MEd this fall. Actually, I am supposed to be doing work for my classes now, but somehow I am on the PPK.

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:44 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm in law school! last year until I'm out!

this is our third week and so far I've been here for 12+ hours a day all but 3 weekdays. blerg. I kind of love it though in some weird way...I love the thought games, even though I miss all the client contact and actually helping people

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

P-J wrote:
Also...do you ever get comments like 'oh, you're not a real doctor...'?
My standard line is that I want to be the kind of doctor who doesn't help people. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about then floppy hat![/quote]
I'm Dr <lastname> at the school I teach. The funny thing is when I worked as a chemist and everyone has phds nobody ever called me Dr. now that I don't be a scientist I get it all the time. I did get "you aren't a real doctor, shove it up your asparagus" from a student last week.

------------------------------
OkC | Google+
------------------------------

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

There is a middle school principal here who gives out demerits if the students do not call him "Dr." Asshat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Vantine wrote:
There is a middle school principal here who gives out demerits if the students do not call him "Dr." Asshat.

I bet he is fun to work for. I should arrange a meeting between that asshat and my last asshat boss. He got booted from his phd program for "lack of quality research" (or so went the rumor, since confirmed by another admin), but I have no doubt he would have been as insufferable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Vantine wrote:

I was substitute teaching shortly after finishing my PhD, and there was another substitute, a much older guy, who insisted all the kids call him Dr. Whatever. In California, at least, they let anyone with a bachelors and a modicum of literacy substitute teach, so it seemed especially sad...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:14 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Vantine wrote:

What if they call him "Dr. Asshat?" Seems appropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:45 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm starting my 5th year of a synthetic organic chemistry PhD program. It's been a great experience because you learn *so much* and just get to live and breathe science (and get paid for it!). After a year of taking classes, it's pretty much just a job after that and you can make your own hours. The down side is that you are expected to put your life on hold and work long long hours. Plus there's the constant grad student guilt that I'm not working hard enough, which is reinforced by my boss and co-workers.

At this point in my degree, I'm kind of bummed. I'm still working on getting a first author paper while other people in my year have 1-3 publications and are going on job interviews. I'm about a year behind where I should be. And I have to do a post-doc. Bah!

P-J wrote:
Also, for those of you who are not an MD, do you ever get comments like 'oh, you're not a real doctor...'?

I crack up every time people say this to me. I have met a lot of MDs who know way less than I do! When I go to the health clinic and get prescribed a med from my doctor, they never understand the underlying mechanism of how the drug works in the body. They know contraindications and side effects and all that but it drives me nuts that they can get people to pop pills without even truly understanding how they work! I also know people who are in med school now who took the "easy" physics in undergrad (non-calculus based) and barely made it through chemistry but are considered geniuses once they have that degree. I know there are a lot of MDs who are super awesome and are great at what they do....it just bugs me that there is this stupid hierarchy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:05 pm 
Human Gravy

Desdemona wrote:
P-J wrote:
I have people talk to me all the time as though academia is some fantasy world in which people sit around reciting poetry and eating luscious cake slices topped with lemon wedges and edible flowers.
Actually, the edible flowers were a big part of the reason I chose this program (Tufts)!

Man, I knew I should have applied to the English PhD program at Tufts. I just started my third year in the Cultural Studies PhD program at George Mason and have yet to see an edible flower. Stupid public universities-- always strapped for cash.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:31 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I'll be ABD by the end of next month assuming I pass my oral exams.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ah, second week of classes finished!

For those of you working, I cannot imagine trying to juggle that with all the work that goes into grad school, hats off to you fair people!

I'm going to TCSPP, so if any of you are in Chicago, or even at the same school, let me know!

I have found myself wondering by what percent my neural connections increase each day I attend class and do all of my assignments. Anyone?

What is the craziest thing you have had happen to you in grad school, or that you have heard about?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just started my second year of graduate study. I'm studying music therapy, which is still kind of an obscure field here in the US. The program is about 3 years because of the extensive internship experience we are required to have. Being any sort of music major is tough because we always end up having to take more classes and meet more requirements than many other majors. I have to take voice, piano, and guitar lessons (and practice for those lessons) in addition to my 3 classes and two days of internship . . . and then there's homework and work work. If I don't learn time management out of this, I never will!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just started my last semester of grad school today, assuming I don't decide to get another degree and prolong having to get a job further. I'll have my MSEd in December, assuming I can keep my shiitake together. I was so not in the mood for class today.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:01 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

P-J wrote:

What is the craziest thing you have had happen to you in grad school, or that you have heard about?

The worst story I know about is this girl in my cohort was about a year out from finishing her PhD and her advisor ended up leaving for another school and took all of the student`s work with her and wouldn`t give the student credit. The student had to find another advisor and start over from square 1. I didn`t know her super well so I never got the details about it, but it sounded super shady.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:03 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i'm working on my second masters. it's a biotch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:13 am 
Chard Martyr

P-J wrote:
I'm going to TCSPP, so if any of you are in Chicago, or even at the same school, let me know!
Went there, graduated last year. Not in the Clinical PsyD programme, but I know one of the professors in it, know more of the ones in the Forensic PsyD programme.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

P-J wrote:

I frequently got hit on by other grad students (which for me, was extraordinarily weird; it's almost never happened in any other context). But I was in a relationship at the time, a horrible, humiliating, soul-destroying relationship granted, and, well, I'm stupid. Otherwise, I could have gotten laid so damn much in grad school... Once, after I had given a talk on medieval asceticism, I later got asked by a very attractive female grad student whether I was "into" the whole sadomasochistic aspect. I think I just mumbled something incoherent and quickly excused myself...

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next