| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JOBS - I can't take it anymore
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

****Does ANYONE have a lead on a decent job?****

I moved to PDX three years ago. I was desperate for a job, and I have a crazy amount of experience doing office admin work, so I took the first temp job that was offered to me. And the second. And the third. Within the first year, I had seven different jobs before I finally got one that was full-time.

That full-time job had me working M-Th 4pm-10pm and S/Sun 8am-5pm. Yep. A law office job with those hours. On 144th and Stark. And I bike commute. Needless to say, when my old office manager called me from the new company she was working with downtown and offered me a position with normal hours, I took it immediately.

And now I've been here for almost two years. Working in a law office as a secretary. And I hate it. I hate what our company does (we always represent the big guy), I hate how much I stand out (short hair, bike commuter, VEGAN), and I hate how conservative the environment is (no music even on headphones, slacks/skirts and heels, no happy hours, etc.).

So I want a new job. And hey, guess what, I've lived here for three years, and there's still nothing out there!

Am I looking for the impossible? A job that pays my rent, bills, Sizzle Pie allowance, and is fulfilling? Or at least has a decent environment? Anyone? Anything? Does anyone love their job???

Of Capsicums & Things."

Post subject: Re: JOBS - I can't take it anymore
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:46 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Try to get a job at Nike? You wouldn't stick out at all there. When I worked there I commuted by bike and just about everyone worked in sweatpants or jeans.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:35 pm 
One Trick Dick

Check the PSU website; there were a couple admin assistant jobs open the other day, but they go as fast as they show up. Be a hawk on craigslist. Think about moving elsewhere, because I don't see it getting better any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:44 pm 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

Zandra wrote:
Try to get a job at Nike?

I just heard somebody talking about his the other day and they said they found out over 1000 people had applied for the position she applied for. So crazy.

Yeah if you're looking on craigslist and the ad has been up more than an hour or maybe two, probably a ton of people have already applied. Both the jobs I found on CL I had replied to within 20 minutes of seeing it. I was checking every hour.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:24 pm 
One Trick Dick

Muffin-Tuffin wrote:
Both the jobs I found on CL I had replied to within 20 minutes of seeing it. I was checking every hour.

This is the only way to roll. Have your resume prepped and at the ready.

Last job i applied for had over 100 applicants. Job openings in my office regularly receive over 100 resumes. When I worked at Sweetpea, we'd receive ~50 resumes for whatever job was available, some from folks with MA degrees. If you have that level of education and are trying to get a job in a bakery, that says a lot about the local economy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

. (sorry, I thought there was a job lead but it was actually for a specific person. I am unhelpful.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:41 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I know the answer may not seem like a temp agency, but if you have experience in a law firm, Boly Welch does a decent job of placing people. Several of my friends have found good fits (eventually, sad to say) through them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks all. Sadly, I'm still searching. I've been working with three temp/staffing agencies and responding to roughly ten Craigslist ads a week. I'm trying to bump the Craigslist numbers up, but it's so frustrating to not be able to find anything. My first post was very whiny, but I'm just surprised at how hard it is to find a decent work environment!!

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 pm 
One Trick Dick

Check indeed.com, too. I'm finding more leads through there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 pm 
One Trick Dick

Oh, also, check the City of Portland, Multnomah County, and State of Oregon sites; all three are looking for admins and offering decent pay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

My husband gave up looking on Craigslist, particularly for writing or editing jobs. The job descriptions are so poorly written themselves, give the reader no idea what the job actually entails, and are so picky and demanding, it's not even worth applying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

rainbowwine wrote:
Thanks all. Sadly, I'm still searching. I've been working with three temp/staffing agencies and responding to roughly ten Craigslist ads a week. I'm trying to bump the Craigslist numbers up, but it's so frustrating to not be able to find anything. My first post was very whiny, but I'm just surprised at how hard it is to find a decent work environment!!

I can completely relate to the lack of decent work environments. I worked as a legal assistant for five years before I could no longer take being treated like a robot instead of a human being.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

tahinitoo wrote:
rainbowwine wrote:

I can completely relate to the lack of decent work environments. I worked as a legal assistant for five years before I could no longer take being treated like a robot instead of a human being.

Exactly. A total robot.

So what did you do? Five years as a legal assistant - how did you move out of the field?

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

rainbowwine wrote:
tahinitoo wrote:
rainbowwine wrote:

Exactly. A total robot.

So what did you do? Five years as a legal assistant - how did you move out of the field?

Well, I was so fed up that I walked into work one day and walked out that same afternoon! It was completely unplanned and I think frustration simply took over. It was the best decision I ever made even though I miss the financial security. I didn't have a legal background going into that job. I started as a file clerk and continued to train until I was a legal assistant.

Unfortunately, it's been over a year and I still don't have a steady job. I've had some great intermittent jobs, but right now, I am unemployed. Quitting did give me the mental clarity to realize my true passions. I know that legal jobs aren't my calling - office jobs in general really.