| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I need new bras. I think I'm going to try some Calkin Klein stuff since some of it is simple yet cute and is supposedly good. I thing is, I *hate* trying to find my bra size in a new brand. I don't understand the measurement stuff because I get a totally different size from what I wear now (which I think fits?).

Any advice? If not, just empathize with the shittiness of bra fitting.

Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Sarah wrote:
I need new bras. I think I'm going to try some Calkin Klein stuff since some of it is simple yet cute and is supposedly good. I thing is, I *hate* trying to find my bra size in a new brand. I don't understand the measurement stuff because I get a totally different size from what I wear now (which I think fits?).

Most ck styles run smaller as far as cup size goes, but band size always seems true.

Check out places like TJ Maxx--they always have tons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Bra shopping is such a pain in the asparagus. And chest. I finally found a bra that fits me perfectly last year and now I just buy a few in different colors every once in a while to keep my supply stocked. If they ever stop making it I will RIOT IN THE STREETS.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:23 am 
Cranky

My recommendation is to get a fitting somewhere. Nordstrom does them, as do specialty places like Intimacy. (Do NOT go to Victoria's Secret for a fitting, even if you like their stuff--they once told me that a 34D is the same as a 36C. It's not.) Most women wear the wrong size. Once you know your size you can search out cheaper options.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs

empathising. i HATE bra shopping. hate.it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:37 am 
Dildo Queen

be patient.

bra shopping is the shittiest piece of shiitake in the world, it's so annoying and tedious and expensive, but can be exciting if and when you find perfect ones. i am wearing a calvin klein bra right now! it's very comfortable and durable.

more advice: take like 4 different sizes of each bra that you like and try them on. you can usually get people to measure you in lingerie shops or whatever but all bras fit differently...there is no universal sizing. i realise now that the cups on this calvin klein bra are too big. they feel like a D cup but i'm a C, typically.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:39 am 
Dildo Queen

also: don't buy cheap bras at places like la senza or victoria's secret (they're the same company, essentially). get some NICE ones, it will be worth it. cheap bras are no good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:13 am 

Dr. Apricot wrote:
My recommendation is to get a fitting somewhere. Nordstrom does them, as do specialty places like Intimacy. (Do NOT go to Victoria's Secret for a fitting, even if you like their stuff--they once told me that a 34D is the same as a 36C. It's not.) Most women wear the wrong size. Once you know your size you can search out cheaper options.

I actually have the day off today and could go to the mall, but sadly don't have a Nordstrom anywhere close. I can easily get to Lard & Taylor, Macy's, and Saks Fifth Avenue. There is also a ridiculously expensive looking lingerie shop in my town that says it does fittings, but I don't know if I could afford the bras from there (I think they have mostly things like La Perla.)

Another thing, what kind of bra should you wear to a fitting? Unpadded, correct? I only have lightly padded, no unpadded ones.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:02 am 
WRETCHED

I really like Le Mystere bras. Macy's might do a fitting, I can't remember what store I was in that they really really wanted to measure me, I thought it was Macy's but maybe it was Lard & Taylor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:19 am 

Some reading just revealed one of my frustrations. My bra cups *always* gap at the top and apparently that can be caused by wearing a shape that doesn't flatter you. I always go for full coverage because I don't want my girls popping out, but apparently I should be going for demi cups. Who knew? Most articles said full coverage should be reserved for very round breasts or people who have breasts that are fuller towards the top, which is not me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

ugh I definitely need to go in for a fitting but I have been avoiding it for a couple years now...see, I used to be much skinnier and flat-chested/punk rock enough that I never wore a bra. Sometime after age 30 I gained weight (due to happiness, actually...that and not going out partying every night) and a lot of it went to my boobs so I sorta guessed what size I could be and started wearing 34Cs. THEN I got pregnant and got even heavier, and a year and a half later seem to have permanently developed what I call "fat back". I have absolutely 0 idea what bra size I am, all I know is some of the skimpier cute bras fit in the cup area but not around my back. And I'm too embarassed that I'm going to go somewhere to get fitted and they'll comment on my broad back or somethin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:24 pm 
Chip Strong

I need to go. I think I should just go to a department store like a grown up lady.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Audrey wrote:
ugh I definitely need to go in for a fitting but I have been avoiding it for a couple years now...see, I used to be much skinnier and flat-chested/punk rock enough that I never wore a bra. Sometime after age 30 I gained weight (due to happiness, actually...that and not going out partying every night) and a lot of it went to my boobs so I sorta guessed what size I could be and started wearing 34Cs. THEN I got pregnant and got even heavier, and a year and a half later seem to have permanently developed what I call "fat back". I have absolutely 0 idea what bra size I am, all I know is some of the skimpier cute bras fit in the cup area but not around my back. And I'm too embarassed that I'm going to go somewhere to get fitted and they'll comment on my broad back or somethin.

A lot of "back fat" is either caused or exacerbated by bras that don't fit. Haven't we all seen very slender women with what look like huge fat rolls hanging over their bras? Or worse, too small halter tops in the summer.

Actually, when I try on a bra, the first thing I check is for manufactured back fat rolls, because that is often caused by the wrong style or width of strap, so I don't generally bother trying on different sizes in that style.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I actually buy my bras at Kohl's in the clearance area - especially a good deal if you have the "additional 15%" coupons they issue with Kohl's card. Or Ross or Marshall's. I barely have A's though, so I'm not really picky with bras, hah.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:52 pm 
Inflexitarian

you need to go for a bra fitting! seriously.
i buy my bras from soma intimates (http://www.soma.com/store/home.jsp) and they do fittings in their stores as well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Get a bra fitting somewhere and find your correct size, then go to www.herroom.com and do a search under the most popular bras in your size and win! It has always worked for me. I have big boobs and have a hard time finding something that is comfortable and fits well that isn't like wearing an armory. her room has pretty good cleance bras and you can find good styles for cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Ughh, I need to get a fitting, too. Good luck : )!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff

I need a fitting too. We should have bra fitting field trips at PPK meetups.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:41 pm 

I want all the Emporio Armani bras, but have no clue what size I would wear. This alone might be enough for me to go in for a fitting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Sarah wrote:
Some reading just revealed one of my frustrations. My bra cups *always* gap at the top and apparently that can be caused by wearing a shape that doesn't flatter you. I always go for full coverage because I don't want my girls popping out, but apparently I should be going for demi cups. Who knew? Most articles said full coverage should be reserved for very round breasts or people who have breasts that are fuller towards the top, which is not me.

good to know! I always wondered why some of my bras gape at the top even though they fit everywhere else

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

osito wrote:
Sarah wrote:

good to know! I always wondered why some of my bras gape at the top even though they fit everywhere else

All my VS ones do this. And I'm totally filling up every inch of the rest of the cup. To be honest, I have no intention of ever getting a fitting. But I do need to bring in a bigger range of sizes to the dressing room I think instead of just my usual 34D or 36C. Also, demi-cup never works for me cause when I bend over everything just pops out, which is the worst thing ever. I seriously hate wearing bras so much, they always feel all pokey and itchy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sarah wrote:

The formulas used for bra fittings are a general guide, and not always right, otherwise I'd be passed out somewhere because I couldn't breathe wearing a 32A. It doesn't work for me either. When I worked in a lingerie department we'd do fittings, but you don't really know until you try it on.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:12 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

semiautomatic wrote:
also: don't buy cheap bras at places like la senza or victoria's secret (they're the same company, essentially). get some NICE ones, it will be worth it. cheap bras are no good.

What stores do you recommend? I'm always looking for an alternative to Victoria's Secret, but it's hard to find my size anywhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am 

Okay, so I decided to measure myself to see what happened.

Band measurement: I measured 30", which supposedly if you are under 33" you add 5" - therefore, 35", but then you round to the next even number, so 36". Band size = 36. I wear a 34 right now on the loosest clasp, so this makes sense.

Cup size: My bust measured 34 1/2" loosely, so I'm kind of at a loss. If the difference were 5" I'd be a DD, which I've looked at and let me tell you, my tits are not big enough to go in there. If it's 4" I'd be a D, which is what I am wearing now.

This was all according to the CKU.com fitting chart.

But then, I put my numbers in on the calculator here: http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php and it tells me I'm a 34B! This cannot be true! Oh bra fitting, why do you suck so much?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

amandabear wrote:
Bra shopping is such a pain in the asparagus. And chest. I finally found a bra that fits me perfectly last year and now I just buy a few in different colors every once in a while to keep my supply stocked. If they ever stop making it I will RIOT IN THE STREETS.

SAME HERE! Finally!! It's barely there and they mostly come in nude and white. I buy a few every once in awhile because I'll lose my shiitake if they stop making them. They're not made in China either! I just dye them smexier colours before I wash them. Perfect. I absolutely hate bra shopping. Brapping?

Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next