| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 pm
Posts: 157
Location: Southern CT
I need new bras. I think I'm going to try some Calkin Klein stuff since some of it is simple yet cute and is supposedly good. I thing is, I *hate* trying to find my bra size in a new brand. I don't understand the measurement stuff because I get a totally different size from what I wear now (which I think fits?).

Any advice? If not, just empathize with the shittiness of bra fitting.

_________________
Formerly Lizzo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:22 pm 
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11075
Location: VA
Sarah wrote:
I need new bras. I think I'm going to try some Calkin Klein stuff since some of it is simple yet cute and is supposedly good. I thing is, I *hate* trying to find my bra size in a new brand. I don't understand the measurement stuff because I get a totally different size from what I wear now (which I think fits?).

Any advice? If not, just empathize with the shittiness of bra fitting.


Most ck styles run smaller as far as cup size goes, but band size always seems true.

Check out places like TJ Maxx--they always have tons.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm
Posts: 4476
Location: Philadelphia
Bra shopping is such a pain in the asparagus. And chest. I finally found a bra that fits me perfectly last year and now I just buy a few in different colors every once in a while to keep my supply stocked. If they ever stop making it I will RIOT IN THE STREETS.

_________________
@amandabear / illustration portfolio / will draw for cookies / more tea wesley?

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:23 am 
Cranky
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 1550
Location: Indiana (again)
My recommendation is to get a fitting somewhere. Nordstrom does them, as do specialty places like Intimacy. (Do NOT go to Victoria's Secret for a fitting, even if you like their stuff--they once told me that a 34D is the same as a 36C. It's not.) Most women wear the wrong size. Once you know your size you can search out cheaper options.

_________________
No. No. fork life allatimes. - mumbles
That commercial didn't make me want to go out and buy Dove, but this thread did make me sniff my armpits. They smell like apricot. - designedtobekind


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:29 am 
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am
Posts: 1295
Location: sunshine coast, australia
empathising. i HATE bra shopping. hate.it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:37 am 
Dildo Queen
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 pm
Posts: 1768
Location: ontario, canada.
be patient.

bra shopping is the shittiest piece of shiitake in the world, it's so annoying and tedious and expensive, but can be exciting if and when you find perfect ones. i am wearing a calvin klein bra right now! it's very comfortable and durable.

more advice: take like 4 different sizes of each bra that you like and try them on. you can usually get people to measure you in lingerie shops or whatever but all bras fit differently...there is no universal sizing. i realise now that the cups on this calvin klein bra are too big. they feel like a D cup but i'm a C, typically.

_________________
Nothing raises awareness of D3 in soy milk like hardcore anal. - Erinnerung


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:39 am 
Dildo Queen
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 pm
Posts: 1768
Location: ontario, canada.
also: don't buy cheap bras at places like la senza or victoria's secret (they're the same company, essentially). get some NICE ones, it will be worth it. cheap bras are no good.

_________________
Nothing raises awareness of D3 in soy milk like hardcore anal. - Erinnerung


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:13 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 pm
Posts: 157
Location: Southern CT
Dr. Apricot wrote:
My recommendation is to get a fitting somewhere. Nordstrom does them, as do specialty places like Intimacy. (Do NOT go to Victoria's Secret for a fitting, even if you like their stuff--they once told me that a 34D is the same as a 36C. It's not.) Most women wear the wrong size. Once you know your size you can search out cheaper options.

I actually have the day off today and could go to the mall, but sadly don't have a Nordstrom anywhere close. I can easily get to Lard & Taylor, Macy's, and Saks Fifth Avenue. There is also a ridiculously expensive looking lingerie shop in my town that says it does fittings, but I don't know if I could afford the bras from there (I think they have mostly things like La Perla.)

Another thing, what kind of bra should you wear to a fitting? Unpadded, correct? I only have lightly padded, no unpadded ones.

_________________
Formerly Lizzo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:02 am 
WRETCHED
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 7994
Location: Maryland/DC area
I really like Le Mystere bras. Macy's might do a fitting, I can't remember what store I was in that they really really wanted to measure me, I thought it was Macy's but maybe it was Lard & Taylor.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:19 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 pm
Posts: 157
Location: Southern CT
Some reading just revealed one of my frustrations. My bra cups *always* gap at the top and apparently that can be caused by wearing a shape that doesn't flatter you. I always go for full coverage because I don't want my girls popping out, but apparently I should be going for demi cups. Who knew? Most articles said full coverage should be reserved for very round breasts or people who have breasts that are fuller towards the top, which is not me.

_________________
Formerly Lizzo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm
Posts: 1573
ugh I definitely need to go in for a fitting but I have been avoiding it for a couple years now...see, I used to be much skinnier and flat-chested/punk rock enough that I never wore a bra. Sometime after age 30 I gained weight (due to happiness, actually...that and not going out partying every night) and a lot of it went to my boobs so I sorta guessed what size I could be and started wearing 34Cs. THEN I got pregnant and got even heavier, and a year and a half later seem to have permanently developed what I call "fat back". I have absolutely 0 idea what bra size I am, all I know is some of the skimpier cute bras fit in the cup area but not around my back. And I'm too embarassed that I'm going to go somewhere to get fitted and they'll comment on my broad back or somethin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:24 pm 
Chip Strong
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 998
Location: LxFxOxDx/Thrashachusetts
I need to go. I think I should just go to a department store like a grown up lady.

_________________
"Oh boy. First of all, William Shakespeare's Dildo Liberal Arts College has a great Art History program. Leave them out of this."-Hoveringdog


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:45 pm 
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 11075
Location: VA
Audrey wrote:
ugh I definitely need to go in for a fitting but I have been avoiding it for a couple years now...see, I used to be much skinnier and flat-chested/punk rock enough that I never wore a bra. Sometime after age 30 I gained weight (due to happiness, actually...that and not going out partying every night) and a lot of it went to my boobs so I sorta guessed what size I could be and started wearing 34Cs. THEN I got pregnant and got even heavier, and a year and a half later seem to have permanently developed what I call "fat back". I have absolutely 0 idea what bra size I am, all I know is some of the skimpier cute bras fit in the cup area but not around my back. And I'm too embarassed that I'm going to go somewhere to get fitted and they'll comment on my broad back or somethin.


A lot of "back fat" is either caused or exacerbated by bras that don't fit. Haven't we all seen very slender women with what look like huge fat rolls hanging over their bras? Or worse, too small halter tops in the summer.

Actually, when I try on a bra, the first thing I check is for manufactured back fat rolls, because that is often caused by the wrong style or width of strap, so I don't generally bother trying on different sizes in that style.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:14 pm 
Huffs Nooch
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:05 pm
Posts: 128
Location: Austin & Houston, TX
I actually buy my bras at Kohl's in the clearance area - especially a good deal if you have the "additional 15%" coupons they issue with Kohl's card. Or Ross or Marshall's. I barely have A's though, so I'm not really picky with bras, hah.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:52 pm 
Inflexitarian
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 pm
Posts: 733
Location: Zoo York
you need to go for a bra fitting! seriously.
i buy my bras from soma intimates (http://www.soma.com/store/home.jsp) and they do fittings in their stores as well.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:06 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 805
Location: asheville
Get a bra fitting somewhere and find your correct size, then go to www.herroom.com and do a search under the most popular bras in your size and win! It has always worked for me. I have big boobs and have a hard time finding something that is comfortable and fits well that isn't like wearing an armory. her room has pretty good cleance bras and you can find good styles for cheap.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:14 pm
Posts: 1262
Location: Tijuana
Ughh, I need to get a fitting, too. Good luck : )!

_________________
"I love you, but you need to get out of the kitchen before I spatula your face." -Pinko
"You can always trade sex for cookies. It might make you feel dirty, but just keep your eyes closed and think of vanilla." -Tofulish


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:38 pm 
Waited in a line late at night for some stuff
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:14 pm
Posts: 491
Location: Louisville(J-town), KY
I need a fitting too. We should have bra fitting field trips at PPK meetups.

_________________
Aluistis ergo hoc incendium quo nunc ardetis.--Livy
Avatar courtesy of coldandsleepy and Avatar Charity.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:41 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 pm
Posts: 157
Location: Southern CT
I want all the Emporio Armani bras, but have no clue what size I would wear. This alone might be enough for me to go in for a fitting.

_________________
Formerly Lizzo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:46 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:59 am
Posts: 262
Location: San Francisco
Sarah wrote:
Some reading just revealed one of my frustrations. My bra cups *always* gap at the top and apparently that can be caused by wearing a shape that doesn't flatter you. I always go for full coverage because I don't want my girls popping out, but apparently I should be going for demi cups. Who knew? Most articles said full coverage should be reserved for very round breasts or people who have breasts that are fuller towards the top, which is not me.


good to know! I always wondered why some of my bras gape at the top even though they fit everywhere else


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:23 pm
Posts: 1635
Location: MD
osito wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Some reading just revealed one of my frustrations. My bra cups *always* gap at the top and apparently that can be caused by wearing a shape that doesn't flatter you. I always go for full coverage because I don't want my girls popping out, but apparently I should be going for demi cups. Who knew? Most articles said full coverage should be reserved for very round breasts or people who have breasts that are fuller towards the top, which is not me.


good to know! I always wondered why some of my bras gape at the top even though they fit everywhere else


All my VS ones do this. And I'm totally filling up every inch of the rest of the cup. To be honest, I have no intention of ever getting a fitting. But I do need to bring in a bigger range of sizes to the dressing room I think instead of just my usual 34D or 36C. Also, demi-cup never works for me cause when I bend over everything just pops out, which is the worst thing ever. I seriously hate wearing bras so much, they always feel all pokey and itchy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1850
Location: St. John's Newfoundland
Sarah wrote:
I need new bras. I think I'm going to try some Calkin Klein stuff since some of it is simple yet cute and is supposedly good. I thing is, I *hate* trying to find my bra size in a new brand. I don't understand the measurement stuff because I get a totally different size from what I wear now (which I think fits?).

Any advice? If not, just empathize with the shittiness of bra fitting.


The formulas used for bra fittings are a general guide, and not always right, otherwise I'd be passed out somewhere because I couldn't breathe wearing a 32A. It doesn't work for me either. When I worked in a lingerie department we'd do fittings, but you don't really know until you try it on.

_________________
I was really surprised the first time I saw a penis. After those banana tutorials, I was expecting something so different. -Tofulish


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:12 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 3332
Location: pdx
semiautomatic wrote:
also: don't buy cheap bras at places like la senza or victoria's secret (they're the same company, essentially). get some NICE ones, it will be worth it. cheap bras are no good.


What stores do you recommend? I'm always looking for an alternative to Victoria's Secret, but it's hard to find my size anywhere else.

_________________
"I rebuke this thread in the name of Jesus." -Jagadeesh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:29 pm
Posts: 157
Location: Southern CT
Okay, so I decided to measure myself to see what happened.

Band measurement: I measured 30", which supposedly if you are under 33" you add 5" - therefore, 35", but then you round to the next even number, so 36". Band size = 36. I wear a 34 right now on the loosest clasp, so this makes sense.

Cup size: My bust measured 34 1/2" loosely, so I'm kind of at a loss. If the difference were 5" I'd be a DD, which I've looked at and let me tell you, my tits are not big enough to go in there. If it's 4" I'd be a D, which is what I am wearing now.

This was all according to the CKU.com fitting chart.

But then, I put my numbers in on the calculator here: http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php and it tells me I'm a 34B! This cannot be true! Oh bra fitting, why do you suck so much?

_________________
Formerly Lizzo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The bra shopping support thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 am 
Memorized Veganomicon
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:27 pm
Posts: 96
amandabear wrote:
Bra shopping is such a pain in the asparagus. And chest. I finally found a bra that fits me perfectly last year and now I just buy a few in different colors every once in a while to keep my supply stocked. If they ever stop making it I will RIOT IN THE STREETS.



SAME HERE! Finally!! It's barely there and they mostly come in nude and white. I buy a few every once in awhile because I'll lose my shiitake if they stop making them. They're not made in China either! I just dye them smexier colours before I wash them. Perfect. I absolutely hate bra shopping. Brapping?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer