| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Doc Martens are back!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Skinheads rejoice!

http://www.dmusastore.com/p-3753-vegan-1460.aspx

Post subject: Re: Vegan Doc Martens are back!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:00 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

They have purple ones now!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:09 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Now I very much regret that I bought boots from vegetarian shoes last year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:51 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
i dont think the purple ones are vegan, seems like its only the black and oxblood

booo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:40 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Adam Crisis wrote:
i dont think the purple ones are vegan, seems like its only the black and oxblood

booo

Wait, I clicked the link and it said they were from the same line (i.e. vegan ones).
Must drink more coffee and click again when my reading abilities suck less.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:08 am 
Saggy Butt

*starts kicking things to wear out her unvegan docs quicker*

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jeni Treehugger wrote:

I too have a pair left that I hardly ever wear, firstly because they're unvegan, and secondly because they are knee high lace-ups without a zipper.
I fear they'll never be ruined. Can I kick some things with you? Sounds fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:38 am 
WRETCHED

I was never a doc marten person but looks like they also have a vegan shoe. My husband might like those.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:09 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I sold my non-vegan doc martens when I went veg; got a decent price for them, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:15 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

They say these are canvas. Are they vegan?

http://www.zappos.com/multiview/7760584/1165

I need more classic black comfy shoes. I am a flats girl but in the winter having the tops of my feet exposed makes me not happy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:05 am 
Saggy Butt

Phoenix wrote:
Can I kick some things with you? Sounds fun.

Sure thing, kick away.

Your docs sound amazing by the way.

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jeni Treehugger wrote:
Phoenix wrote:
Can I kick some things with you? Sounds fun.

Sure thing, kick away.

Your docs sound amazing by the way.

Oh no, never get knee-high ones without a zipper! It will take about ten minutes to get into them, and you'll never get out!
(Especially not when you're drunk.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:44 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Phoenix wrote:
Jeni Treehugger wrote:

I too have a pair left that I hardly ever wear, firstly because they're unvegan, and secondly because they are knee high lace-ups without a zipper.
I fear they'll never be ruined. Can I kick some things with you? Sounds fun.

Sell them online?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:24 am 
Saggy Butt

Phoenix wrote:
Oh no, never get knee-high ones without a zipper! It will take about ten minutes to get into them, and you'll never get out!
(Especially not when you're drunk.)

Good point!

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:15 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Why do people hate on the Vegetarian Shoes boots? I seriously love mine and most people assume they are Docs until I correct them. I'd rather support a vegan shoe company then Doc Marten.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

I think it's good to support a non vegan company when they start making vegan products - shows 'em what a good money maker they are and encourages them to not only keep the vegan products going but maybe to add to them in the future?

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:40 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ExpiredSanity wrote:
Why do people hate on the Vegetarian Shoes boots? I seriously love mine and most people assume they are Docs until I correct them. I'd rather support a vegan shoe company then Doc Marten.

Vegetarian Shoes' own models really don't look or feel exactly like Docs. To me they're not as comfortable or as stylish. I had two pairs of the old DMs Vegetarian Shoes used to distribute for DM's and they were much better than the VS brand shoes in my humble opinion. Plus there's the tag- much cooler to have the actual DMs tag sticking out the back.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:54 pm 

I think a "Vegetarian Shoes" tag looks much cooler then a Doc Martens', although I will give the comfort factor to you because I had to buy better insoles for mine.

Jeni Treehugger wrote:
I think it's good to support a non vegan company when they start making vegan products - shows 'em what a good money maker they are and encourages them to not only keep the vegan products going but maybe to add to them in the future?

So you abandon smaller vegan companies that have been doing that from the beginning? Vegetarian Shoes has the policy of producing only cruelty free shoes, where as Doc Marten is saying: "hey, there is a market we can get!" and continue to produce leather shoes, while trying to make a buck off the vegans as well. Giving them money will still contribute to the purchasing of leather products to make the other non-vegan shoes that make up the majority of their products. I work hard for my money and I would rather give it to vegans.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:29 pm 
Saggy Butt

ExpiredSanity wrote:
So you abandon smaller vegan companies that have been doing that from the beginning? Vegetarian Shoes has the policy of producing only cruelty free shoes, where as Doc Marten is saying: "hey, there is a market we can get!" and continue to produce leather shoes, while trying to make a buck off the vegans as well. Giving them money will still contribute to the purchasing of leather products to make the other non-vegan shoes that make up the majority of their products. I work hard for my money and I would rather give it to vegans.

No no no, that's not what I'm saying at all.
What I was trying to say was, don't pooh pooh a company that starts to produce vegan items.
Aren't we collectively wanting more companies to make vegan options or is that just me?

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:45 pm 

Jeni Treehugger wrote:
What I was trying to say was, don't pooh pooh a company that starts to produce vegan items.
Aren't we collectively wanting more companies to make vegan options or is that just me?

I would like to see more companies have more vegan options for sure, but I would rather see more vegan companies in general. The problem I see with Docs is they have their market pretty much cornered, and if they made the switch to entirely vegan products then I doubt anybody would object. I figure if they actually gave a damn about vegan morals then they would do that. I care more about intent then anything, and if I have the choice between supporting a vegan company and a company that has vegan options, I choose the vegan company. I'm sure they will make enough money on the vegan shoes simply because they are more available, and if any enterprise sees a vegan company profiting then they will try to steal their market away from them. For example if a vegan restaurant opened up next to a non-vegan restaurant and the owners noticed them doing quite well, they are naturally going to try serving vegan options too. I would still rather support the vegan restaurant, however, I may go to the non-vegan restuarant when I have omni guests.
I'm not pooh poohing Docs, I understand people may prefer them for fashion or the label, and they have been making some positive changes (they are making shoes in the UK again instead of China and Thailand), but what I don't understand is why people seem to be heaving a huge sigh of relief at the fact they don't have to buy VS para boots anymore, when they could be supporting a vegan company instead of a company that still profits from the slaughter of animals.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ExpiredSanity wrote:
Jeni Treehugger wrote:

I would like to see more companies have more vegan options for sure, but I would rather see more vegan companies in general. The problem I see with Docs is they have their market pretty much cornered, and if they made the switch to entirely vegan products then I doubt anybody would object. I figure if they actually gave a damn about vegan morals then they would do that. I care more about intent then anything, and if I have the choice between supporting a vegan company and a company that has vegan options, I choose the vegan company. I'm sure they will make enough money on the vegan shoes simply because they are more available, and if any enterprise sees a vegan company profiting then they will try to steal their market away from them. For example if a vegan restaurant opened up next to a non-vegan restaurant and the owners noticed them doing quite well, they are naturally going to try serving vegan options too. I would still rather support the vegan restaurant, however, I may go to the non-vegan restuarant when I have omni guests.
I'm not pooh poohing Docs, I understand people may prefer them for fashion or the label, and they have been making some positive changes (they are making shoes in the UK again instead of China and Thailand), but what I don't understand is why people seem to be heaving a huge sigh of relief at the fact they don't have to buy VS para boots anymore, when they could be supporting a vegan company instead of a company that still profits from the slaughter of animals.

I totally get that. For me personally, buying vegan products is most important, and buying from an actual vegan company comes second in this case. I like the exact style of DMs so I'd rather buy vegan DMs from them rather than alternatives. which to me are not quite as good, from VS.

I totally give VS respect for stepping in and manufacturing models to replace the vegan DMs they used to carry, once DM made the decision to discontinue their vegan models once upon a time.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:36 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'll have to inform my vegetarian friend about this one. Apart from drinking Guinness and wearing docs, I'm pretty sure he would go vegan. This is good news!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

ExpiredSanity wrote:

I think for a lot of people the sigh of relief has less to do with not having to buy para boots and more to do with just having the option of returning to "old faithful."

The way I see it: Imagine that one omni restaurant made the best vegan cupcakes you've ever had. They're so good that the vegan place next door is selling them as well. One day, the cupcakes disappear so the vegan place starts making their own to fill the void. While these new cupcakes are just fine and perfectly tasty, you don't like them quite as much as the other, discontinued cupcakes. They have a bit too much vanilla and sometimes they make your mouth feel a little weird. Then, a while later, the omni place starts making their amazing vegan cupcakes again. I would probably be more inclined to buy the cupcakes I love instead of the cupcakes that I think are "just fine." But I'd also still be going to the vegan place for pad thai and all of my other non-cupcake needs... like the Ace flats and maybe a pointy brogue.
But that's just me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:20 pm 
Saggy Butt

Nice.

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:32 am 

greengaucher wrote:
I think for a lot of people the sigh of relief has less to do with not having to buy para boots and more to do with just having the option of returning to "old faithful."

The way I see it: Imagine that one omni restaurant made the best vegan cupcakes you've ever had. They're so good that the vegan place next door is selling them as well. One day, the cupcakes disappear so the vegan place starts making their own to fill the void. While these new cupcakes are just fine and perfectly tasty, you don't like them quite as much as the other, discontinued cupcakes. They have a bit too much vanilla and sometimes they make your mouth feel a little weird. Then, a while later, the omni place starts making their amazing vegan cupcakes again. I would probably be more inclined to buy the cupcakes I love instead of the cupcakes that I think are "just fine." But I'd also still be going to the vegan place for pad thai and all of my other non-cupcake needs... like the Ace flats and maybe a pointy brogue.
But that's just me.

I guess it all comes down to personal ethics and where you apply your activism. For myself in the cupcake scenario I would still be buying the cupcakes at the vegan place, or making them myself, because I've given up much more then cupcakes (or boots) for my veganism and activism.
The only reason I brought the whole thing up is because when I got my VS boots, I went down to the local thrift shop and donated my vegan payless shoes doc styled boots. I was happy to finally be able to wear something vegan and support a vegan business. So I just didn't understand why I've never seen any real positivity towards the boots on the board, but I guess I have my answer now: nostalgia and fashion.