| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The "fitness minus gyms and equipment" thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

To be completely honest, my partner and I do have a fitness ball, but it's still in its box. And I just brought a yoga mat back from the states. We're dreadfully poor so we aren't in the market for any kind of equipment, second hand or not. I thought we could use this thread to share ideas and support for physical fitness without gym memberships or home equipment.

I'm suffering from terrible jetlag at the moment, but my goal tomorrow is to do a yoga class on www.yogatoday.com and ease myself back into working out. They have paid memberships, but they offer a free class each week. Luckily this week's a beginner's course since I'm super out of shape.

I'm thinking of blowing up the fitness ball one of these days, but for now I'm trying to work on basic stuff like doing a real push-up and then working that into a routine.

Post subject: Re: The "fitness minus gyms and equipment" thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:54 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is also an awesome blog. I'm interested in trying the DIY kettlebell they linked to since those things are crazy expensive:

http://diystrengthgear.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:06 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Prison style workouts might be what you're looking for - http://www.notyouraveragefitnesstips.co ... r-strength

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Definitely the kind of stuff I'm looking for...but sweet jesus do burpees suck! I need to start working on a push-up plan. That's my goal for 2011. I hate resolutions, but if my only two involve making pierogies and doing a push-up I think I'm okay.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I don't enjoy going to the gym and can't afford it anyway. I tend to get out for long walks and more recently hikes. I also have a pilates video I do off and on that I really like.
I ended up running today because of the rain and I hope to get into that more. I really enjoy it.
I enjoy 'exercise' when it is part of getting outdoors and doing stuff. I am not too into organized workouts (other than the pilates).

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Panda,

I hear you. Sometimes I wonder if the idea of exercising as this separate chunk of time and energy is actually keeping me from doing it. Right now it just seems like another thing to do, whereas if I'm biking to the market or walking with my partner, I don't even think of it as exercise. The Netherlands weather isn't really friendly to outdoor fitness in the winter, though, so I really need to start thinking about ways to get fit. Especially since the gray skies give me mega SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:36 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Do you have a friend to work out with? Not necessarily your boyfriend, as that can be easy to pass on for the day. Or a blog or something to track what you do? I'm very goal oriented and if I feel like I have someone else counting on me I am more likely to follow through.
I also try to focus on the fact that I feel better when I get some exercise.
Try to find out when you like to work out. I have to get up in the morning and hit the trail. I like to get it out of the way. I don't do pilates at 6 pm and thinking I can put it off til later in the day won't work.
I'd still try to get outside a couple of times a week. I used to walk in the cold in NYC and upstate NY in the winter. It isn't really fun but it was good to get out and get fresh (cold) air.
What about dance or hooping videos online? Less like a workout chore for some people.
I know this is a bit more than you asked in your question but it might help.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:39 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Jumping rope is amazing cardio as long as you don't live in place where it might disturb people living below you. I do 30 seconds jumping/30 seconds walking in place for 10-15 minutes as a warm up...you can work up to longer intervals as well.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:46 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

We gave up our gym membership, and so far our home gym consists of an empty room, dvd player, and some free weights. So far, so good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pandacookie wrote:
Do you have a friend to work out with? Not necessarily your boyfriend, as that can be easy to pass on for the day. Or a blog or something to track what you do? I'm very goal oriented and if I feel like I have someone else counting on me I am more likely to follow through.
I also try to focus on the fact that I feel better when I get some exercise.
Try to find out when you like to work out. I have to get up in the morning and hit the trail. I like to get it out of the way. I don't do pilates at 6 pm and thinking I can put it off til later in the day won't work.
I'd still try to get outside a couple of times a week. I used to walk in the cold in NYC and upstate NY in the winter. It isn't really fun but it was good to get out and get fresh (cold) air.
What about dance or hooping videos online? Less like a workout chore for some people.
I know this is a bit more than you asked in your question but it might help.

These are great ideas! I don't have any of my own friends over here yet, but I'm a morning person and since I don't have a job (waiting on a permit) I should really start getting up and doing some sort of fitness.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:30 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Stuff I will do at home, can be done in front of the TV! No equipment needed
lunges
squats
tricep dips on a chair/couch
"girly" pushups
abdominal exercises - combination of crunches, planks, etc.
leg lifts (old school 80s aerobics style)
yoga balancing postures
back raises

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I am a fan of the Navy SEAL workout if only for the examples it contains for bodyweight set/rep progressions. You might not want to start by doing as many reps or sets as given, and you might want to cut yourself more slack on the running or swimming (or cut them out entirely). But reading the plan at least gives you an idea of some goals you can work towards.

http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/brent2.htm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:52 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Get that ball blown up! There's lot of exercises you can do with it. Chest, core, hamstrings, etc. I'm a big fan of doing abdominal exercises on that because I feel like I get better isolation with less impact on my lower back.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks for bumping this thread, Bunz, because I haven't done any fitness since I got back from America last week. Granted it was period time AND I was super jetlagged, but there are no more excuses now. I have my light therapy lamp...my fitness clothes are clean...I'm feeling better. Tomorrow is the day!

My goals: A bit of yoga and some cardio/sweating/strength stuff in the afternoon. I'm thinking some wall push-ups (I'm trying to work my way to a real push-up), squats, planks, jumping jacks, tricep drop-down thingies on a chair (you guys know what I mean, right?). Should I do anything else? I'll probably mix it up and do yoga at one point and the other work out at another point. Not sure if I should do the sweaty workout in the morning or evening.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:08 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Try switching up the times you do your workouts and keep a journal, writing about how you felt afterwards, the intensity of your workouts, etc. Then you can figure out which workouts work best at which times. Journaling is quite important! It gives you some accountability as well as tracking your progress.
Suggestion:Can you grab some soup cans (if you don't have weights) and do some lat raises to work your shoulder/back muscles? Hold a can in each hand with your hands at your sides. Keeping your arms straight, slowly raise your arms until you form a "T". Slowly lower back down and repeat. Just a thought. Sorry if you already know what that exercise is, I just didn't want to suggest something and not even explain myself!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:10 am 
Huffs Nooch

pickledtreats wrote:
tricep drop-down thingies on a chair (you guys know what I mean, right?).

Dips, brah.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh yeah, replace your computer chair with that ball!

i like panda's idea of hooping, it is good for your mood too, which is nice.
i like to spin poi, which you can make with two tennis balls and some string and some fabric, cost practically zero. it's great fun and while it won't make you muscular you can get a serious arm workout from it.

another idea- i wanted to adopt another dog, but i finally went ahead and did it as a commitment to getting out to exercise (he's going to be a big dog and is going to need it). Not saying to adopt a dog only for that reason, but any chance you can make friends with someone whose dog needs walking? Volunteer to walk shelter dogs? It's a lot more fun to get out there with a dog.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Hooping hooping hooping hooping!

Because its winter, I can't really do any of the really fun stuff with my big hoops (Just around the body) so I force myself to do 15 minutes or so of body hooping (so that I don't lose the basics) but what I'm really involved with right now is mini hoops that you just use with your hands. Its a great work out for your arms and requires less bulk space than a big hoop. For serious. Mini hoops. fo' shizzle. Seriously.

http://hundredpushups.com/ <- This got me to doing actual push ups, but I got lazy and stopped like a moron so now I'll have to start at my old do one push up wait a minute, do another push up crud.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I did yoga today! I've been having a lot of trouble with time management (working from home has the biggest downside of being incredibly distracting), so I mapped out my entire day and used a timer to keep me to it. 30 minutes on this task, an hour on my Dutch HW, 45 minute interview for work, etc. I built in some time to do a 30 minute yoga class I found on Google and it was great! I need to figure out a better way to see on my laptop, but it was good and relaxing.

I'm realizing scheduling is a big factor in whether I get up and do something. And holy shiitake, I'm definitely going to blow up that ball and turn it into my office chair because I hate the office chair I have.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I like putting on good music and dancing around my house, long walks, practicing yoga at home, and checking out work out dvd's from the library. Library dvd's are great not only because they are free, but I don't get board doing the same one all the time, and if I don't like one it's no loss, I just return it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:19 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I worked out yesterday! I'm logging stuff on dailymile.com - I'm super sore today, though. I planned on doing yoga, but there was construction on my building that made it sound like a jackhammer was in the room. Sucked. Definitely working out tomorrow, though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:23 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Nickalya wrote:
http://hundredpushups.com/ <- This got me to doing actual push ups, but I got lazy and stopped like a moron so now I'll have to start at my old do one push up wait a minute, do another push up crud.

I've done this before, and it really does work you up to it at a reasonable pace. I am HORRIBLE at push-ups, but I really improved using the site.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:42 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

There is so much stuff available on the internet!

Hulu.com has a new fitness channel that has lots of free yoga classes.

Self.com and womenshealthmag.com both have tons and tons of exercises to do. Some of them do involve equipment, but many of them don't.

You can google "mat Pilates exercises" to get some great ideas for exercises you can do at home that require no equipment.

I'm a big fan of walking and biking. You can use cans or water bottles as weights. Before I had ankle weights, I'd put a weight (or water bottle) in a plastic grocery bag and tie it to my ankle to do donkey kicks, side leg lifts, etc.

A great place to start would be to set a goal of hitting four different muscle groups each day with strength exercises, so use those water bottles and do some shoulder presses and bicep curls, then do a some squats and an abdominal exercise. Maybe do ten of each, three times around? Very simple but effective.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Unfortunately for me the libraries here aren't free and hulu is blocked! Sucks. But I have found some things online through sites like Self.

I've been doing this lately:

jumping jacks
wall push-ups (since I can't do a "real" one yet)
jumping squats
bicycle crunches
planks
side planks
lateral jumps
tricep dips on a chair
russian twists (I used to do these with a medicine ball, but I don't have anything right now. Tried it once with a bag of beans)
walking lunges (these suck so much!)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:07 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So my little "let's transition into working out" work out is already starting to give me less of a burn. I need to up what I'm doing. I wondered about P90x, but I think you need equipment for those, right? I just have a fitness ball. That I still haven't blown up yet.