| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Parenthood
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

rocklobster wrote:
this going to jail for a punch thing is ridiculous. it was a punch at a house party and the other guy didnt get hurt.

I thought that was over the top too, the cops were called instantly by drunken teens and Alex didn't think to just leave?

And Adam is a idiot for being mad at Kristina because she's trying to provide for her family.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:20 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Yeah, in my experience, drunk teens don't call the cops about ANYTHING -- they know that, if cops arrive, whoever was hosting the party will get busted for serving alcohol to minors.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:44 pm 
Hip Goiter

Larisa wrote:
Yeah, in my experience, drunk teens don't call the cops about ANYTHING -- they know that, if cops arrive, whoever was hosting the party will get busted for serving alcohol to minors.

Yeah. I watched this episode last night and I rarely watch the show, so this was not a good episode to reel me in. I was just really angry. He punched the guy and it was likely justified, but the cops would be SO much more concerned with the kids drinking!!! Unless the neighborhood they live in is racist and/or classist and they make something of that...but that seems like a very different show.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, it really seemed like it was just to bring in his prior criminal record. I have to say they did a good job with the confrontation though. Alex has always been so laid back and calm, but I could see him being triggered by (1) the fact that his girlfriend is completely drunk, (2) he's surrounded by alcohol and at the same time worried about leaving her there and (3) this other guy is in his face and just put his hands on him. I'm guessing this is going to be the beginning of the end of Haddie and Alex, which is sad, because I like them together and more importantly, the actor who plays Alex is just hot as hell. I want to pet him.

I liked the coffee girl. She was snarky.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:18 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

yeah, that was weird. 1. why would kids call the cops. 2. his parents obviously were out of town, right? and then they were magically back again later in the evening. makes NO SENSE! Everything on this episode was really trite - from adam's outburst about wanting to provide for his family to alex turning out to be kind of violent and having priors, to the dumb high school party. I can see it not working between a high school girl and an older guy, but he's a cool dude, why are they trying to make him a crasshole and make her a sobbing drunk teenager? Oh yeah, and all the turning 40 stuff was dumb, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:22 am 
Semen Strong

Great episode. I really liked all the storylines.

I loved Alex and Hattie (omgalexissosososohot!) - that scene in his kitchen was amazing. I really hope he doesn't relapse, though it would make for a really interesting story. I also think they did a good job with Max being mainstreamed and I liked Sarah grappling with the idea of dating someone younger and hurrah for him being so into her. That smile by the lockers was epic. Damn the torpedoes indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hope Alex is ok too but I have a feeling Adam will try to stop Hattie from seeing him after seeing the preview for next week.

I really felt for Kristina, it would be so hard to watch your son being ignored at school. I was happy when Jabbar and his friend came to talk to him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
Does anyone really flip out about turning 40 anymore? Especially if you have kids and look like LG?

I flipped out just a little bit. But, I don't have kids or look like Lauren Graham.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tofulish wrote:
I liked Sarah grappling with the idea of dating someone younger and hurrah for him being so into her. That smile by the lockers was epic. Damn the torpedoes indeed.

Yes, if she didn't take him, this 40 year old was going to volunteer!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:22 am 

I dunno, the Alex and Haddie thing is really bothering me. They are turning him into a totally different character. Last season he was super mature and never would have let some dumb high school kid bother him enough to punch him. He's giving me creepy flash backs to a super manipulative ex with the anger issues and when he made haddie tell him she loved him and kiss her at the end of the night. I really like him, but he seems like a totally different person this season and they making haddie out to be kind of a jerk, too.

i loved the part at the end with max and jabar and friends. that was adorable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:49 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

ericaj wrote:
BUT! What I kinda love about this show is how unrealistic it is. Like Sarah's bday party, and the family time that happens at the end of every episode, everyone dancing around, Amber's sweet mint car (even though they're "poor"), the amazing back yard that is always lit up perfectly with twinkle lights....

totally :)

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I dunno, the Alex and Haddie thing is really bothering me. They are turning him into a totally different character. Last season he was super mature and never would have let some dumb high school kid bother him enough to punch him. He's giving me creepy flash backs to a super manipulative ex with the anger issues and when he made haddie tell him she loved him and kiss her at the end of the night. I really like him, but he seems like a totally different person this season and they making haddie out to be kind of a jerk, too.

I totally agree!

Kitteh wrote:
I really felt for Kristina, it would be so hard to watch your son being ignored at school. I was happy when Jabbar and his friend came to talk to him.

I couldn't watch parts of that because I want to slug kids who ignore Livi.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:51 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Sarah was annoying this week, leave Amber alone! And Crosby not taking the wheat allergy seriously, take your son's health into consideration, dude.

I thought I was finally going to make it through an episode without crying but I teared up when Adam was talking to that kid's parents about Alex.

ijustdiedinside wrote:

I agree, I don't like that suddenly he's a jerk and completely different to how he was last season.

appifanie wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

I couldn't watch parts of that because I want to slug kids who ignore Livi.

Meanies :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:19 pm 

Kitteh wrote:
I thought I was finally going to make it through an episode without crying but I teared up when Adam was talking to that kid's parents about Alex.

I KNOW! I'm so close to tears.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:48 pm 

did you guys notice when Drew and Zeke were out for breakfast and Drew was eating a stack of pancakes that was about 18 inches wide and 6 inches high? that was really weird!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:56 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ijustdiedinside wrote:
did you guys notice when Drew and Zeke were out for breakfast and Drew was eating a stack of pancakes that was about 18 inches wide and 6 inches high? that was really weird!

Yes! I was all, "whoa nice pancakes!"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

appifanie wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

I KNOW! I'm so close to tears.

Me too! I love Adam and Alex. Swoooon!

I love this show so frakin much, it's ridiculous. I'm really liking the new characters...coffee girl (forgot her name), and the new doctor dude.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:41 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Oh Alex, you broke my heart :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:41 am 
protein lump

yeah i was weepy when he was talking to kristina. i really like alex. i hope he doesn't disappear from the show completely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:16 pm 

still watching so i'm prepared to be weepy!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 pm 
Semen Strong

I still think Alex was right to notice that he wasn't himself with her. He said early on he shouldn't be dating in his first year of recovery, and I think its great that he realized that before it was too late. Also watching him tear up, you realize just how much he was giving up. Not just a GF but a family.

I thought Max and Jabbar were really interesting. And its so slimy for Crosby to pimp out Jabbar's friendship to stay on good terms with Adam until the loan came through. And so shitty for Crosby to tell Jabbar something was wrong with Max and not thinking it would get back to Max. That fight was so sad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:20 pm 

I didn't feel like Crosby was doing it to stay on good terms until the loan came through - I thought it was just because Adam was so happy about it and maybe Crosby still feels bad about forking around with them (and the speech therapist).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:26 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

loved Adam going to offer help to Alex and then talking to the parents on his behalf. Also agree that if the police showed up to the house they would be charging the parents with providing alcohol to minors, so they probably would've been in more trouble than Alex was.

Finally the special ed teacher in me got annoyed at Max's first day at school. Maybe my district provides a lot more support than other places, but no way would a kid go from a special school to completely on his own in a gen ed classroom without there being support for the transition. We have meetings before school starts so the kid can meet the teacher, and the teacher can review the IEP or 504 plan. When kids come back from an outside placement they normally start by coming back for only part of the day as well, and work up to being there all day long. The mom would have had a social worker contact due to his social skills and most likely a special ed teacher to serve as a case manager. I do sympathize with the teacher having 7 emails from the mom (I got 3 from one of my parents just today) but most teachers I know reply within a day or two. Even to our most annoying HMMs (high maintenance moms)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really couldnt stand alex so i hope hes gone for real! he was Zero fun. zero! im not into this season much at all though, except for laurelai and the kid teacher. the dads commercial was kinda great too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:47 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I hope we get to see Alex again too.

And I do think it was wrong of Crosby to make it sound like there was something wrong with Max but I didn't think about the fact that he might have been stalling until the loan came in, like Appi said, I thought he was trying to do something about the issue without upsetting Adam/Max but who knows with Crosby.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:49 pm 
Semen Strong

I hate the way birth is depicted on the show - from water breaking to pushing in a short car ride with a lot of screaming.

Adam in hiphop gear was hilarious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next