| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:10 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 am
Posts: 288
Location: Tasmania, Australia
I just picked this up from the library this morning, I was mostly keen to see about subs for meat and gelatin in some of my non-veg recpies. But I am throughly intrigued by the sugar and fat chapters, since I'm having to watch the fat and sugar intake lately.

The recpies look quite good, I think I'll ahve to add a copy of this to my want list as I could do with it in my collection.

_________________
“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” - Oscar Wilde


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:48 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2621
Location: England
vijita wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I made the savory chutney muffins this morning and they are fab.

I really want to make these! Would you say they would go over well as a savoury option at a bake sale?

I made the eggs benedict last night. I loved the "ham", but the hollandaise was kind of weird...I think I don't understand what hollandaise is supposed to taste like and I wanted to keep adding lemon juice and cayenne to mine.


I love those eggs benedict. I definitely think that cayenne and extra lemon wouldn't hurt if you fancy it though!

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:51 am 
Offline
Has Isa on speed dial
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:55 pm
Posts: 80
I made the smoky potato wedges today and they were really good, and i liked that they got very crispy. I was surprised by how big the book is and the fact that it has so many recipes, i'm really glad i bought it. BTW has anyone tried the "where do you get your protein cake" because i've never seen tempeh used in a sweet recipe before, i hate tempeh but i'd like to kno how the cake is.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 am 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:31 pm
Posts: 1435
I made the denver quiche and added a half cup of pepperjack daiya to the tofu mixture. It was really good! I didn't have any bell peppers or seitan on hand, so I left those out. Now I just wish someone would come up with a vegan swiss or gruyere cheese so I could make a quiche lorraine.

_________________
Again, you are all brilliant and sexy. And I am lavender-laden and secure in my masculinity. - Sir Brancis Facon

bird noises | book of faces


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:43 pm 
Offline
Just Loathin' Around!
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:17 pm
Posts: 7386
Location: bindlestiff
vijita wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I made the savory chutney muffins this morning and they are fab.

I really want to make these! Would you say they would go over well as a savoury option at a bake sale?

This was posted awhile ago and I missed it, but yes, I think the savory muffins would be great at a bake sale! Definitely something different and good for someone who doesn't want sweets.

_________________
I sure do love beige food covered in gravy. -the wise rachell37

Panda With Cookie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:01 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 1838
Location: NC
pandacookie wrote:
vijita wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I made the savory chutney muffins this morning and they are fab.

I really want to make these! Would you say they would go over well as a savoury option at a bake sale?

This was posted awhile ago and I missed it, but yes, I think the savory muffins would be great at a bake sale! Definitely something different and good for someone who doesn't want sweets.

They sound delicious! "Someone who doesn't want sweets" doesn't compute with me though.

_________________
Re:my username "It's your initials! DRS I'm so smart." -appifanie
xgfx/soy-free blog: http://www.drsimpsongallery.com/veg-am/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10648
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
pandacookie wrote:
vijita wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I made the savory chutney muffins this morning and they are fab.

I really want to make these! Would you say they would go over well as a savoury option at a bake sale?

This was posted awhile ago and I missed it, but yes, I think the savory muffins would be great at a bake sale! Definitely something different and good for someone who doesn't want sweets.

They were a success! I love savoury stuff at bake sales.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:03 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:36 pm
Posts: 611
Location: West LA
After mixed results with the first few things I tried from this book, I had two big successes. First, I made the pepperoni pizza topping. This was easy to make and absolutely delicious on the pizza. My husband said the flavor was spot-on. Second, I made the yogurt substitute (I think it's called "basic sorta yogurt" or something like that). I used the "yogurt" in a recipe from VCTOTW. The cupcakes came out perfectly, so it seems that the sorta yogurt does perform like real soy yogurt in baking applications. I think this recipe will make the book worth it for me even if I never make anything else. Soy yogurt is over $1 for a 6oz cup here so I don't like to buy it unless I'm going to actually eat it as yogurt.

_________________
http://veggielawyer.wordpress.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:43 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12279
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I got this at the Borders sale today. Was trying to resist the lure of new cookbooks, but this was too cute to pass up. It seems like such a little book for $19, but it is stuffed full of content and is a very high quality book.

I like the format and layout. The sub part isn't necessarily overly useful to me at this point, but since it is loaded with yummy sounding recipes, it looked really worth having anyway. I can already tell I'll start suggesting this to new or interested people along with AFR.

I dont know what to make first! Maybe that brie...how long will that keep?

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:31 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2621
Location: England
Everytime I have some silken tofu hanging round, which is often, I make the dressing for the red buffalo salad (I think that's what it's called). I use it in the salad as suggested, or as a slaw dressing. And if you stick it back in the fridge it firms up and make a fab sandwich spread.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:51 am 
Offline
Built this city on rock and roll
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1221
Efcliz wrote:
Everytime I have some silken tofu hanging round, which is often, I make the dressing for the red buffalo salad (I think that's what it's called). I use it in the salad as suggested, or as a slaw dressing. And if you stick it back in the fridge it firms up and make a fab sandwich spread.


That's a great tip! I often have silken tofu leftovers, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 am 
Offline
Lubes With Earth Balance
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:27 pm
Posts: 1616
Location: Sweden
The smoky potato wedges are the best ever! I made them to go with a burger, and the rest of the family tasted them too. My sister asked for the recipe, and both my parents loved them as well!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:44 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:28 am
Posts: 415
Location: Au
Mihl wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
Everytime I have some silken tofu hanging round, which is often, I make the dressing for the red buffalo salad (I think that's what it's called). I use it in the salad as suggested, or as a slaw dressing. And if you stick it back in the fridge it firms up and make a fab sandwich spread.


That's a great tip! I often have silken tofu leftovers, too.


Yes! I love that dressing too (and the whole salad recipe) and make it almost everytime I have leftover silken tofu.

The only thing I haven't liked from this book is the index! It's hard to find recipes because it's ordered by ingredient sub (which makes sense given the title). But there are so many yummy recipes in there that I always want to look up quickly and then I end up having to literally page through the book to find them :( Other than that though, I LOVE this book and everything I've made from it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:37 pm
Posts: 712
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
The TVP pepperoni in this is seriously revolutionary, and oh-so-amazingly-good. The meatballs are amazing, too! If you use the tomato paste, they are rich, brown and deep, and if you use the applesauce, they're light, salty/sweet and noochy. Either way, they're really, really easy to put together (but for goodness' sake, triple the recipe).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:23 pm 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1644
Location: Brisbane, Australia
I still haven't made much out of this but I whip up the homemade sorta yoghurt a lot. There's no plain yoghurt in this country as far as I know and the source of vitamin D/culture in the vanilla one is suspect.

_________________
Mel makes vegan food


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:29 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:37 pm
Posts: 712
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Veglicious, do you eat the yoghurt as-is, or use it in baking? I only just found out that the Soy-life blueberry and vanilla use animal-based vitamin D.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:00 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:22 am
Posts: 288
Location: Tasmania, Australia
mattomic wrote:
Veglicious, do you eat the yoghurt as-is, or use it in baking? I only just found out that the Soy-life blueberry and vanilla use animal-based vitamin D.


I've used that vanilla one in baking prevously, I thought from an inital survey of the packaging it past muster. I'm going to have to watch that in future.
Guess I'd better test the Sorta yoghurt from the book out.

_________________
“Life is too important to be taken seriously.” - Oscar Wilde


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:46 am 
Offline
Banned from Vegan Freaks.
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:44 pm
Posts: 357
Location: Northern Ontario
I’m just getting into the book and plan to make the Carrot Ginger Burgers in the next few days.

How much is 3 large carrots ? Alternatively, how BIG is a large carrot ? Due to our short growing season in Northern Ontario, I suspect our carrots are likely kinda small in comparison to carrot standards.

So far I’ve made: Smoky Potatoes, Salisbury Steaks with Mushroom, Onion and Sage Sauce, Walnut Parmesan Sprinkles, Pepperoni and Suisse Bircher Muesli. Love them all !!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:12 am 
Offline
Tofu Pup Forever

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:16 am
Posts: 16
Nice! Will look at it.

_________________
yummi yummi :) Easy Vegan Recipes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:20 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:37 pm
Posts: 712
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
darksideknitter, just to add the frustration, I hope you saw that the vitasoy vitamin d isn't vegan either, sigh. Have just made a post about it in the Aussie and NZ thread.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:36 am 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:17 pm
Posts: 329
bunniee wrote:
I made the denver quiche and added a half cup of pepperjack daiya to the tofu mixture. It was really good! I didn't have any bell peppers or seitan on hand, so I left those out. Now I just wish someone would come up with a vegan swiss or gruyere cheese so I could make a quiche lorraine.


There is a gruyere recipe in Bryanna Clark Grogan's World Vegan Kitchen. It's my favorite homemade vegan cheese ever. I didn't try freezing and grating it as she suggests (it didn't last that long) but I'll bet it would work in a quiche.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:45 pm 
Offline
Lactose Intolerant...Literally
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:37 pm
Posts: 712
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
zinnia wrote:
bunniee wrote:
I made the denver quiche and added a half cup of pepperjack daiya to the tofu mixture. It was really good! I didn't have any bell peppers or seitan on hand, so I left those out. Now I just wish someone would come up with a vegan swiss or gruyere cheese so I could make a quiche lorraine.


There is a gruyere recipe in Bryanna Clark Grogan's World Vegan Kitchen. It's my favorite homemade vegan cheese ever. I didn't try freezing and grating it as she suggests (it didn't last that long) but I'll bet it would work in a quiche.


Doesn't it have some strange food-sciencey ingredient in it, like Instant ClearJel or something, in addition to agar-agar?? Did you use the strange ingredient, or did you manage to sub it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:41 am 
Offline
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 1644
Location: Brisbane, Australia
mattomic wrote:
darksideknitter, just to add the frustration, I hope you saw that the vitasoy vitamin d isn't vegan either, sigh. Have just made a post about it in the Aussie and NZ thread.

I believe in the Vitasoy case it's only an issue for the purple (extra calcium) bottle.
Yeah I've had that soylife one before and don't mind it too much (not as good as the ones available in Europe though), that's the one where as far as I know the vitamin D (and/or the culture, I can't remember) isn't vegan, that's why places like the Green Edge vegan supermarket only sell the Kingland one, which I think tastes like arse. I mostly use the sorta yoghurt in baking but it's not bad to eat either, it's not exactly yoghurt but it's nice on fruit or muesli.

PS, mattomic, I think this is that instant clear jel stuff
http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/index.php ... cts_id=980

_________________
Mel makes vegan food


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:13 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins

Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:17 pm
Posts: 329
mattomic wrote:
zinnia wrote:
bunniee wrote:
I made the denver quiche and added a half cup of pepperjack daiya to the tofu mixture. It was really good! I didn't have any bell peppers or seitan on hand, so I left those out. Now I just wish someone would come up with a vegan swiss or gruyere cheese so I could make a quiche lorraine.


There is a gruyere recipe in Bryanna Clark Grogan's World Vegan Kitchen. It's my favorite homemade vegan cheese ever. I didn't try freezing and grating it as she suggests (it didn't last that long) but I'll bet it would work in a quiche.


Doesn't it have some strange food-sciencey ingredient in it, like Instant ClearJel or something, in addition to agar-agar?? Did you use the strange ingredient, or did you manage to sub it?


The recipe calls for kosher gel or genutine and warns not to sub extra agar agar in place of it. I used "unflavored jel dessert" made by Natural Desserts. It's been in my pantry forever, but I think I got it from Pangea (http://www.veganstore.com)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:32 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 3831
Location: Canberra, Australia
Veglicious wrote:
PS, mattomic, I think this is that instant clear jel stuff
http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/index.php ... cts_id=980


Oh, awesome. The ingredients look the same as Genutine (which is the one Bryanna recommends). I was expecting to have to pay a ton to get it from overseas.

_________________
Recipes. Rants. Raunch.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Stella, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer