| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

I just picked this up from the library this morning, I was mostly keen to see about subs for meat and gelatin in some of my non-veg recpies. But I am throughly intrigued by the sugar and fat chapters, since I'm having to watch the fat and sugar intake lately.

The recpies look quite good, I think I'll ahve to add a copy of this to my want list as I could do with it in my collection.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:48 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

vijita wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
I made the savory chutney muffins this morning and they are fab.

I really want to make these! Would you say they would go over well as a savoury option at a bake sale?

I made the eggs benedict last night. I loved the "ham", but the hollandaise was kind of weird...I think I don't understand what hollandaise is supposed to taste like and I wanted to keep adding lemon juice and cayenne to mine.

I love those eggs benedict. I definitely think that cayenne and extra lemon wouldn't hurt if you fancy it though!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:51 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I made the smoky potato wedges today and they were really good, and i liked that they got very crispy. I was surprised by how big the book is and the fact that it has so many recipes, i'm really glad i bought it. BTW has anyone tried the "where do you get your protein cake" because i've never seen tempeh used in a sweet recipe before, i hate tempeh but i'd like to kno how the cake is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:26 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I made the denver quiche and added a half cup of pepperjack daiya to the tofu mixture. It was really good! I didn't have any bell peppers or seitan on hand, so I left those out. Now I just wish someone would come up with a vegan swiss or gruyere cheese so I could make a quiche lorraine.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:43 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

vijita wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

I really want to make these! Would you say they would go over well as a savoury option at a bake sale?

This was posted awhile ago and I missed it, but yes, I think the savory muffins would be great at a bake sale! Definitely something different and good for someone who doesn't want sweets.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pandacookie wrote:
vijita wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

This was posted awhile ago and I missed it, but yes, I think the savory muffins would be great at a bake sale! Definitely something different and good for someone who doesn't want sweets.

They sound delicious! "Someone who doesn't want sweets" doesn't compute with me though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:55 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

pandacookie wrote:
vijita wrote:
pandacookie wrote:

They were a success! I love savoury stuff at bake sales.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:03 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

After mixed results with the first few things I tried from this book, I had two big successes. First, I made the pepperoni pizza topping. This was easy to make and absolutely delicious on the pizza. My husband said the flavor was spot-on. Second, I made the yogurt substitute (I think it's called "basic sorta yogurt" or something like that). I used the "yogurt" in a recipe from VCTOTW. The cupcakes came out perfectly, so it seems that the sorta yogurt does perform like real soy yogurt in baking applications. I think this recipe will make the book worth it for me even if I never make anything else. Soy yogurt is over $1 for a 6oz cup here so I don't like to buy it unless I'm going to actually eat it as yogurt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I got this at the Borders sale today. Was trying to resist the lure of new cookbooks, but this was too cute to pass up. It seems like such a little book for $19, but it is stuffed full of content and is a very high quality book.

I like the format and layout. The sub part isn't necessarily overly useful to me at this point, but since it is loaded with yummy sounding recipes, it looked really worth having anyway. I can already tell I'll start suggesting this to new or interested people along with AFR.

I dont know what to make first! Maybe that brie...how long will that keep?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:31 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Everytime I have some silken tofu hanging round, which is often, I make the dressing for the red buffalo salad (I think that's what it's called). I use it in the salad as suggested, or as a slaw dressing. And if you stick it back in the fridge it firms up and make a fab sandwich spread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:51 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Efcliz wrote:
Everytime I have some silken tofu hanging round, which is often, I make the dressing for the red buffalo salad (I think that's what it's called). I use it in the salad as suggested, or as a slaw dressing. And if you stick it back in the fridge it firms up and make a fab sandwich spread.

That's a great tip! I often have silken tofu leftovers, too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The smoky potato wedges are the best ever! I made them to go with a burger, and the rest of the family tasted them too. My sister asked for the recipe, and both my parents loved them as well!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:44 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Mihl wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

That's a great tip! I often have silken tofu leftovers, too.

Yes! I love that dressing too (and the whole salad recipe) and make it almost everytime I have leftover silken tofu.

The only thing I haven't liked from this book is the index! It's hard to find recipes because it's ordered by ingredient sub (which makes sense given the title). But there are so many yummy recipes in there that I always want to look up quickly and then I end up having to literally page through the book to find them :( Other than that though, I LOVE this book and everything I've made from it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

The TVP pepperoni in this is seriously revolutionary, and oh-so-amazingly-good. The meatballs are amazing, too! If you use the tomato paste, they are rich, brown and deep, and if you use the applesauce, they're light, salty/sweet and noochy. Either way, they're really, really easy to put together (but for goodness' sake, triple the recipe).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:23 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I still haven't made much out of this but I whip up the homemade sorta yoghurt a lot. There's no plain yoghurt in this country as far as I know and the source of vitamin D/culture in the vanilla one is suspect.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:29 pm 

Veglicious, do you eat the yoghurt as-is, or use it in baking? I only just found out that the Soy-life blueberry and vanilla use animal-based vitamin D.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:00 am 
Saggy Butt

mattomic wrote:
Veglicious, do you eat the yoghurt as-is, or use it in baking? I only just found out that the Soy-life blueberry and vanilla use animal-based vitamin D.

I've used that vanilla one in baking prevously, I thought from an inital survey of the packaging it past muster. I'm going to have to watch that in future.
Guess I'd better test the Sorta yoghurt from the book out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:46 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I’m just getting into the book and plan to make the Carrot Ginger Burgers in the next few days.

How much is 3 large carrots ? Alternatively, how BIG is a large carrot ? Due to our short growing season in Northern Ontario, I suspect our carrots are likely kinda small in comparison to carrot standards.

So far I’ve made: Smoky Potatoes, Salisbury Steaks with Mushroom, Onion and Sage Sauce, Walnut Parmesan Sprinkles, Pepperoni and Suisse Bircher Muesli. Love them all !!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:12 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Nice! Will look at it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:20 pm 

darksideknitter, just to add the frustration, I hope you saw that the vitasoy vitamin d isn't vegan either, sigh. Have just made a post about it in the Aussie and NZ thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:36 am 
Smuggling Raisins

bunniee wrote:
I made the denver quiche and added a half cup of pepperjack daiya to the tofu mixture. It was really good! I didn't have any bell peppers or seitan on hand, so I left those out. Now I just wish someone would come up with a vegan swiss or gruyere cheese so I could make a quiche lorraine.

There is a gruyere recipe in Bryanna Clark Grogan's World Vegan Kitchen. It's my favorite homemade vegan cheese ever. I didn't try freezing and grating it as she suggests (it didn't last that long) but I'll bet it would work in a quiche.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:45 pm 

zinnia wrote:
bunniee wrote:

There is a gruyere recipe in Bryanna Clark Grogan's World Vegan Kitchen. It's my favorite homemade vegan cheese ever. I didn't try freezing and grating it as she suggests (it didn't last that long) but I'll bet it would work in a quiche.

Doesn't it have some strange food-sciencey ingredient in it, like Instant ClearJel or something, in addition to agar-agar?? Did you use the strange ingredient, or did you manage to sub it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:41 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

mattomic wrote:
darksideknitter, just to add the frustration, I hope you saw that the vitasoy vitamin d isn't vegan either, sigh. Have just made a post about it in the Aussie and NZ thread.

I believe in the Vitasoy case it's only an issue for the purple (extra calcium) bottle.
Yeah I've had that soylife one before and don't mind it too much (not as good as the ones available in Europe though), that's the one where as far as I know the vitamin D (and/or the culture, I can't remember) isn't vegan, that's why places like the Green Edge vegan supermarket only sell the Kingland one, which I think tastes like arse. I mostly use the sorta yoghurt in baking but it's not bad to eat either, it's not exactly yoghurt but it's nice on fruit or muesli.

PS, mattomic, I think this is that instant clear jel stuff
http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/index.php ... cts_id=980

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:13 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

mattomic wrote:
zinnia wrote:
bunniee wrote:

Doesn't it have some strange food-sciencey ingredient in it, like Instant ClearJel or something, in addition to agar-agar?? Did you use the strange ingredient, or did you manage to sub it?

The recipe calls for kosher gel or genutine and warns not to sub extra agar agar in place of it. I used "unflavored jel dessert" made by Natural Desserts. It's been in my pantry forever, but I think I got it from Pangea (http://www.veganstore.com)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Veglicious wrote:
PS, mattomic, I think this is that instant clear jel stuff
http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/index.php ... cts_id=980

Oh, awesome. The ingredients look the same as Genutine (which is the one Bryanna recommends). I was expecting to have to pay a ton to get it from overseas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next