| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lan Cafe
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Let's talk about how awesome this place is. What do you get there? I pretty much always get #26 bowl although I like #36 and their baguettes a lot, too! their avocado salad and bbq seitan appetizers are so good. In the winter I like to get one of their stewed seitan dishes. How good is their seitan? it's so awesome. probably my favorite seitan in all of NY.

one of the best things about Lan is that it's not overly filling and it's so close to Lula's that you can walk over and get some ice cream without being crazy full from dinner. YUUUM!

Post subject: Re: Lan Cafe
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:08 pm 
FAYGO

I've only been there once. Got the seitan baguette and it made my belly very happy.

(And, if memory serves, we did go to Lula's after.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:54 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

#26 noodle bowl flicks the weasel.

i will totally meet for dinner there any night except tuesday or thursday if anyone wants to!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:44 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I always just get pho, and my bf always gets the lemongrass seitan vermicelli thing. We got some banh mis to eat around the corner at Lilly Coogan's once and ordered em spicy and it was almost too much for me, I think they just add a bunch of pepers when you ask for it spicy. I really do love their food but a couple times its been really uncomfortable in there, like in the winter when I was dying for a bowl of pho but it was like 90 degrees inside the place...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:15 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

How have I never been here? I want to try!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:31 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I love it, too. But I can't remember the number of what I get. Love the lemongrass one and the hot pot. And, of course, the baguette! Oh and the rice crepe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:39 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

The baguettes rule. I like most of the entrées I've tried there. The pho is pretty good, not great. The seitan appetizer is super delishable.

I'm up for going there pretty much whenever, subject to restrictions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:27 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I'll never forget how yummy this thing was:

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Let's talk about how I've never been to this place because I always attempt to go and they manage to be closed.

Cruelty Free Face
Morrissey Hates Murder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

melisser wrote:
Let's talk about how I've never been to this place because I always attempt to go and they manage to be closed.

yeah, that's a problem! i've probably tried to go 5 times when they were closed at totally random times, but I've still been there at least 20 times, so they must be open sometime!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 pm 
FAYGO

ijustdiedinside wrote:
melisser wrote:

yeah, that's a problem! i've probably tried to go 5 times when they were closed at totally random times, but I've still been there at least 20 times, so they must be open sometime!

They were closed last time I tried to go, too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:02 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I love Lan so much! I can never remember the names of what I get, but basically anything and everything with Seitan and noodles mmm. I like their Pho too but have never had Pho anywhere else to compare it to.

I'm always worried that it doesn't get enough business. Maybe I just eat dinner too early/odd times/odd days but often my group is the only group there, or one of 2 or 3. I tried to bring friends there for my birthday this year, but I they were skeeved out that the place was empty and I didn't want them to project paranoid vibes onto the food, so we went to Souen. I feel so guilty for betraying Lan like that though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:14 am 
FAYGO

TheChickpea wrote:
I love Lan so much! I can never remember the names of what I get, but basically anything and everything with Seitan and noodles mmm. I like their Pho too but have never had Pho anywhere else to compare it to.

I'm always worried that it doesn't get enough business. Maybe I just eat dinner too early/odd times/odd days but often my group is the only group there, or one of 2 or 3. I tried to bring friends there for my birthday this year, but I they were skeeved out that the place was empty and I didn't want them to project paranoid vibes onto the food, so we went to Souen. I feel so guilty for betraying Lan like that though.

Souen! That's where we went when Lan was closed. Thank you, I couldn't think of the name and it's been bothering me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I went to Souen twice in the past week and both times I passed Lan and it looked pretty happpening. I'll have to try it sometime!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I still have yet to go here, but I have walked by it. Any place with good seitan deserves a special place in my heart.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:35 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

They are closed on Monday and I've forgotten that like 4 times. And then eat at Souen :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:30 am 
Semen Strong

appifanie wrote:
I'll never forget how yummy this thing was:

Their water spinach is my favorite thing too! Nomnomnomnomnom.

I really like Souen as an alternative if Lan is closed. Or just when you're craving macrobiotic food

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:31 am 
Nailed to the V

I had the Pho there and really liked it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:31 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

i went here with a certain somebody the first time i ever came to new york and we experienced such a horribly blatant display of inhumane viciousness, that it's hard for me to not think about it every time i return.it had nothing to do with the staff,though,the poor man was the one being spitefully victimized for no reason.
THOUGH,souen ramen,where i ate this afternoon,is the best restaurant in the word ever,and is like 3 doors down,so why bother with lan,even though their water spinach in kinda slammin?really,i don't think lan is so great,and with a place super amazing so close,i wouldn't bother.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 am 
Semen Strong

What happeded RR4eva? I like Lan and Souen, so I have no problem going to Souen over Lan, but I would like to better know why.

Every time I've been to Lan the food has been great and I've never seen any displays of viciousness. I love the water spinach as well. Part of the reason I support Lan over Souen is that Souen is macro and serves fish and I prefer to support a vegan restaurant.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:25 am 
Inflexitarian

I went this week, first time since many years ago. I had the seitan baguette--agree with everyone that it's delish. My husband always manages to order the weirdest thing on any menu. He got the broken rice with seitan something or other? It was ok but I'd choose something else if/when we go back. We had dessert, the taro cake & mung bean cake. Reinforced my thinking that asian desserts are frequently not my cup of tea. The mung bean one came out on a plate but still in the plastic wrapper. And for some reason these were both served with plastic forks.
It was busy too, by the way, on a random Wed night. Almost too loud to carry on a normal conversation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just went there with a few friends on Saturday (two of whom are non veg*ns), and we all loved it! I decided to try the "Rice Congee" because it had the most ingredients that I hadn't heard of before, and I wanted a surprise. I also had no idea what congee was, and turns out it is a (yummy) soup. My boyfriend got a great baguette, one friend got pho, and one yellow noodles with seitan, which he loved. I would definitely go back!