| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Motorcyclists
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:05 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i just found the most heartbreakingly beautiful motorbike jacket.
and it is not vegan.
i could make one, but getting my hand on the right sort of materials is far too cost prohibitive even if i did so. and i would have to do quite a few muslins to figure out the pattern.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I found some vegan pants that fit and are cute and are armored textile so I'm protected! No more buying gear for a while now... that shiitakes expensive and I have all the basics.

My parents sent me a little gremlin bell to put on my bike. I'm not sure where to put it though... any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:45 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Pi. wrote:
I found some vegan pants that fit and are cute and are armored textile so I'm protected! No more buying gear for a while now... that shiitakes expensive and I have all the basics.

My parents sent me a little gremlin bell to put on my bike. I'm not sure where to put it though... any ideas?

I don't know what it looks like, but perhaps some where on the handle bars / steering?

I got myself a serious back protector vest today, instead of the small foam thingy that came with my motorcycle jacket.

(it's a sleeve less vest that I wear over my "technical underwear")
And it's a level 2 protector http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_armor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:29 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

finally got a picture of me and my bike. its not a very flattering one of me, but what are you gonna do?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:42 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

alden wrote:
It's really a control thing, the rebel feels like a heavy bicycle to me (I'm 6'3" and 210lbs and I know what Shriners feel like after riding it) but it feels just right to her (she's 5'3" and is somewhere around 110lbs) - just doesn't have the power or comfort to do highway speeds for long. Pretty much every bike with a >500cc engine adds nearly 200lbs compared to what she currently has and that is the key problem. She has sat on one bike, the Suzuki S70? I think that's what it's called at least, it used to be the Savage; it comes in 800 and 1100cc models and was supposedly designed with women in mind (seating and tank height and width) and thought it felt right to her, the weight was still really bugging her. I don't know how to help get her over that fear though.

The Savage is now the Suzuki S40, I have a 2005 S40. Mine is a single cylinder 650. Its a little small for me (im certain I look like a gorilla riding a tricycle on it) but its comfortable to ride. Its top speed is 85 and it gets 50 mpg while carrying my large rear end at top speed haha... I definetly reccomend them for starter bikes or for smaller people.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:55 pm 

fupapack wrote:
finally got a picture of me and my bike. its not a very flattering one of me, but what are you gonna do?

Is that a 600cc ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

1978 650xs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:44 pm 

I had an advanced driving training today (level 2)

brake and swerve on a flooded road (at least two inches of water)

water can come up high if you do some speed (35-40 mph I guess)

driving off a steep slope

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:40 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

there's a slope like that to get into my work coupled with a 180 degree turn. the first time was terrifying.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have some pretty steep hills I have to navigate, but nothing quite like that! That class looks fun!

fupapack - you're bike is pretty! And so are you!

I'm going to be all brave and try riding on sorta deep gravel this weekend... I have to for about 30ft to get to the rock climbing gym I want to use. I'll test it during the day first when my boyfriend is around to help me pick it up if I dump it (I won't dump it!)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:48 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

offically bike only until i find a new car. my miata is D E D. i biked like 50 miles in the rain today. soaked! i actually didn't mind though, everywhere i went people were like "not a good day to be out there eh" the lady at the bank asked me if i was scared.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:36 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm getting a serious itch to be out riding. I think it's probably safe to bring Hansel (my Yamaha V-Star) out of storage. Once he's out, I have to keep him on the street until next winter so I wanted to wait until the snow was done, except we still haven't had any snow! Now I'm debating whether it is warm enough... with some layers it's almost there.

My dad took some pics when my parents visited last fall.

Me out riding. To the gas station on my reserve tank!

My first passenger! My mom is on the back, she rides a Harley Sportster (I think) and has been on the back of my dad's bike a lot so she was the ideal test passenger for me. We are in front of the 24 hour bakery that is super close to my apartment.

I think I want to get a bag that fits on the passenger seat and take off the saddlebags. They do help keep a bit of a buffer from parked cars so maybe I'll leave them on. It's all parallel parking here and the cars get cozy. I'll wait until I have Hansel back and then decide!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:37 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Okay guys, Brian is getting his first motorcycle today. After he learns how to ride it i'm going to make him zip me around town, so my question is, where can I get a frayed jean vest with the words 'Motorcycle Mama' airbrushed on the back?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

mrsbadmouth wrote:
where can I get a frayed jean vest with the words 'Motorcycle Mama' airbrushed on the back?

best.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

My friend just got a motorcycle so I have a new riding partner. Also, thinking about joining a motorcycle club in CT!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:25 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

fupapack wrote:
My friend just got a motorcycle so I have a new riding partner. Also, thinking about joining a motorcycle club in CT!

Yay! I keep trying to talk my friends into getting one... I think it would be fun to ride with other people! I just joined the Boston motorcycle group. I'm worried I'll be way younger than everyone, but I'll try a ride or two with them!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:17 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Okay guys, Brian is getting his first motorcycle today. After he learns how to ride it i'm going to make him zip me around town, so my question is, where can I get a frayed jean vest with the words 'Motorcycle Mama' airbrushed on the back?

I think you can win one at the fair.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:41 pm 

mrsbadmouth wrote:
where can I get a frayed jean vest with the words 'Motorcycle Mama' airbrushed on the back?

Perhaps at madmomma designs?

http://www.madmommadesigns.com/Site/Gal ... ets.html#0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

My motorcycle was towed! Admittedly, it was my own dumbpants fault for reading the calendar wrong (street cleaning, 2nd and 4th Thurs, I missed seeing the 1st of March was a Thurs). I hope he's okay. I can leave work at noon to head over to the tow yard to get him. I had a meeting this morning I couldn't be late for otherwise I would have gone straight over from home since it's so close to my apartment. Lesson learned... triple check the calendar!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 am 
A Bad Person

I'll hopefully be getting into a MSF basic rider's course tonight! They've got a bunch of walk-in seats available and I'm getting there early to get one. If not, I'm confirmed for a seat next weekend. I am TOTALLY EFFING EXCITED!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:52 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I sold my bike about a month ago, my wife's bike was sold in the fall (new house, kid on the way, need a tractor more than I need a motorcycle right now etc). The house we moved to in November is on the twistiest road I've ever seen in Maryland and I'm so incredibly jealous of all the bikers out in the past few weeks.

Ugh I saw all these cave paintings complaining about vegan cheese options. I don't miss those days. -Isa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:14 pm 

Pi. wrote:
My motorcycle was towed! Admittedly, it was my own dumbpants fault for reading the calendar wrong (street cleaning, 2nd and 4th Thurs, I missed seeing the 1st of March was a Thurs). I hope he's okay. I can leave work at noon to head over to the tow yard to get him. I had a meeting this morning I couldn't be late for otherwise I would have gone straight over from home since it's so close to my apartment. Lesson learned... triple check the calendar!

You're not allowed to park it on the sidewalk or off the road?

At home I park on a piece of sidewalk where it doesn't bother anyone and lock it to a tree.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:23 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

brian wrote:
I'll hopefully be getting into a MSF basic rider's course tonight! They've got a bunch of walk-in seats available and I'm getting there early to get one. If not, I'm confirmed for a seat next weekend. I am TOTALLY EFFING EXCITED!

The course is so much fun! I took it because I just wanted to learn how to ride, and even though it scared the crepe out of me I had a great time. At one point, I thought I might want to get a motorcycle. But I'm just not very confident when it comes to being on a road with other vehicles (in my car, much less a bike). Maybe when I have some great health insurance I'll revisit that thought. Or if I ever had somewhere to ride around in that contained no other vehicles whatsoever, or if I had the time/money to do a super casual version of trials (I don't like to go fast).

I was so proud of myself for getting a perfect score on "The Box."

ETA: I don't think they actually "score" the elements, it's either pass or not. But I gave myself a perfect score since I never touched the ground with my feet.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:18 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Veg_Eric wrote:
Pi. wrote:

You're not allowed to park it on the sidewalk or off the road?

At home I park on a piece of sidewalk where it doesn't bother anyone and lock it to a tree.

Unfortunately not. It's fine parked on the street as long as I remember when street cleaning is! I picked it up from the tow yard and there wasn't any damage to the bike (just my pocketbook). I will be triple checking the calendar every time I park now!

I think I'm meant to walk today, because I lost my (monthly) subway pass sometime mid-day. I must have offended the transportation deities!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 pm 
A Bad Person

I took the written exam to get my learner's permit so I can go cruising with one of my friends while I wait for next weekend. We went out to a parking lot and he gave me some tips on tight u-turns. I'm so impatient that I'm going to keep practicing my skills test maneuvers this week, attend the BRC next weekend, and take the skills test as soon as I can afterwards. I can't wait the two weeks for them to send me my MSF card!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next