| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Tucson] Sparkroot
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

There's this new coffee shop downtown (across from Hotel Congress, next to Xoom Juice). Its owned by the same guy as Xoom Juice, and its fabulousity! So many vegan menu items, its ridic. Plus more non-dairy milk than just soy. I had an iced tea and a vegan grilled cheese on ciabatta with spinach and tomato. So so good. They told me their housemade chocolate hazelnut butter is vegan so next time I'm going to get a nutter butter and jam sandwich. Oh and they have kale chips! And vegan truffles! Ahh I hope my friend wants to go there for lunch tomorrow!

Post subject: Re: [Tucson] Sparkroot
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:05 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am crazy excited by this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:56 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh heres the website:
http://sparkroot.com/

If anyone else checks it out, lemme know what you got!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:22 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Ooh, good to know. (I'm thinking about applying for a job in Tuscon for next year. Still very up in the air.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oh my god, I saw that place on my way to Congress a couple weekends ago, no idea it would be so veg-friendly! Totally dragging my bestie there for lunch this weekend.
Also in the vicinity- have you guys tried Hub yet? its on the south side of Congress just down from the Rialto (right next to the District and Sharks). Their veggie hash is the bomb and also their chile lime sorbet is painfully awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Have heard good things about the Hub, but only from omnis ravings about the ice cream. A couple months ago I read on their facebook that they were playing around with coconut milk trying to make a non-dairy flavor; any word on that? I don't fancy sorbet although chile lime sounds pretty good.

Been back to Sparkroot a couple times, still in love, but DON'T get the NOLA style iced coffee. Blegggh. After-taste town, population me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

No, last I heard only the sorbets were vegan. I have been holding out hope though- last time I went with my boyfriend they had salted caramel ice cream and it was the saddest moment of my life when I realized I couldn't have any.
Just went to investigate their Facebook and they had a poll up about what you wanted to see in the fall menu and the winning option was more vegetarian/vegan options.
So it does seem promising...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:38 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Had a grilled Daiya with spinach and basil and an iced tea today. Yumtown; I just wish they had mozzarella, too. Also, super awesome service.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ooh that would be great! Maybe they will later on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I finally went to Sparkroot! I had a vegan grilled cheese with tomato and a soy latte and it was delish! My omni friend got some of their house-made mustard with his sandwich and let me try some and it is AMAZING so I think next time I may have to go with a grilled daiya/mustard (which sounds odd but I used to make grilled FYH cheddar and yellow mustard sandwiches and they were really good).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:31 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I can't say I recommend the housemade chocolate hazelnut butter. Its as if they put chocolate chips and hazelnuts in a food processor and wizzed it a few times. Very chunky and not very butter-y. I would prefer it to be a LOT smoother. Bummer. And the fig jam was not great either. It was edible because the ciabatta was nice and crispy warm but not nearly as good as I had hoped. :(

On the other hand, its VERY nice to have enough vegan options at this place that I feel comfortable complaining about one, instead of feeling like "Meh, its vegan and its nice to have a vegan option...", know what I mean? And the grilled cheeses still rock.