| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: i'm pretty sure i just found the holy grail of hair remo
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:40 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

here's for lazy*: amazon suggests the panasonic. what do ye offer, oh, ppkers?!

*because i've read this thread but am too lazy to go back and check on brands. yeah, i know that's lame.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I got my epilady this weekend and had to try it right away even though I probably should have waited for a bit more growth. I didn't find it to be very painful on my legs. I only did from my knees down on the first go. I did have some operator trouble since I have never used one before. I think the next time will be much better. I did have a problem where some hairs just would not come out no matter how many times I passed over the area. Does this happen to other gals or do I just have stubborn hair? I can probably just tweeze those. I tried it on my pits last night, which hurt a bit more but I was really happy with how they turned out.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

Post subject: Epilators
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:36 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I got my first epilator a few days ago and I've been trying it out with mixed results. I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OT9SP2 from amazon, seems like it has good reviews, and was inexpensive. I figured I'd try it out a bit then return it if I hate it, or exchange it for a better one if I decide it's good but I need more performance. I've done a good portion of my bikini area with pretty good results and reasonable pain. My legs are not painful but not really successful in terms of hair removal so far. The real problem though is my underarms. I did them today for the first time. Neither of them hurt that much while I was doing it, but now the skin on the left side is raw, like anything touching it causes enough pain to make me nauseous. What happened? Not that much hair is gone either! I put aloe on right after, which stung like CRAZY. Help me try to figure this thing out! And how can I make my skin feel better today? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Epilators
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:40 am 

i'm gonna merge this with the hair removal holy grail thread!

i also moved the whole thread into the spa. but if you're reading this, you found it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Thanks calcuhater!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:36 am 
Ninja Master

I've given up on mine. I always find hairs I missed the next day and it needs doing every few days still. I'd rather shave, less pain.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I still prefer it over shaving, even though my pits act up a bit once in a while, but they're always better the next day with not even red spots to be seen.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:28 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I think what happened to my underarms was basic razor burn...but I have no idea how it happened. It didn't hurt while I was epilating, but stung like a bisque afterward. The skin is still red, but not ouchy. Trying to decide if I can brave it again. On the plus side, my bikini area is still hairfree!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:55 am 
Lime and a Coconut

OK, after reading this thread for five minutes and reading Quarantine's recommendation for an Emjoi, I splurged on one! I realized that even though it was pricey it was still less than (or equal to) the cost of one full-leg wax, and in theory this will de-hair me many many more times over than one waxing.

It arrived yesterday and I finally got to try it out! The sensation smoothie described of being tattoo-like is not too far off. It got easier to go over areas once the hair had thinned out a bit. I'm still getting used to technique and still have to go back and re-do a lot of areas, but it's been a good first experience so far! Hair removal is the bane of my existence, and my body hair in particular seems to be particularly sturdy. This is brilliant, how come I never thought of this before?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:00 am 
Kale Wreath

I've been epilating for a couple of months now. I did my bikini line a couple of times, but my skin there is insanely sensitive and I got too many ingrowns. It's the best thing ever for my underarms, though, and I like it for my legs too. I generally do it once a week and it's not perfect, but it's much cleaner/more convenient and cheaper than waxing, and it definitely beats shaving!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:27 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

It's funny because my bikini area was super easy! My underarms though...whoa. I am still scared to do them again after the awful razor burn debacle of last weekend. How did that happen? It's like it just sucked my skin in, even though I held it taut. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Maybe your armpits just need to get used to it? I have extremely sensitive pits as in I can't shave because it always irritates them too much. Once I epilated a few times there was no more pain with doing my armpits and it grows back thinner and lighter I think. I hardly have to do it. Even when a lot of the hair is grown back in the only one who notices is me when I look at it in the mirror.

I have a small one so the only other place I have tried it is my upper lip and I just can't get used to that. It hurts too much to handle and I have a pretty high threshold for pain.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:13 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

So excited guys! I pursued with my dream of epilating my underarms and got this: http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi-AP-9L-Slim- ... 240&sr=8-1, which is a much smaller, battery powered epilator. Just got done with my underarms and it was fantastic! I think the smaller head really helped to maintain the curves of my skin better and didn't try to chew it up. I think this will also come in handy with more delicate areas in the bikini region that I am scared to attempt with my larger epilator.

Another huge tip...don't watch! When I stopped watching what I was doing on my underarms, it was not even what I'd qualify as painful at all. Now I'll just do it every few days for the next couple of weeks to get all of the hair gone and switch in to maintenance mode. This is a big day!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:52 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

when i was doing research for my laser sessions, i came across people suggesting EMLA cream for numbing. (it's a topical anasthetic, and its usually only available by prescription. i am tempted to ask my brother who works at astra-zeneca if he would be able to get it for me without a prescription, but that sounds like an awkward situation, so i probably won't.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:20 am 
Lime and a Coconut

It's been four days. This thing removed way more hairs than waxing (which just broke them at the surface of the skin) and my legs still look good. I'm thinking this may have been a sound investment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:35 am 

totally gonna.

wait, emjoiers: which model do you have?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:38 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

calcuhater wrote:
totally gonna.

wait, emjoiers: which model do you have?

I have an Emagine right now and I like it. I used to have an Optima and that was ok.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:33 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I got the Emagine.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:23 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

tarajasmom wrote:
So excited guys! I pursued with my dream of epilating my underarms and got this: http://www.amazon.com/Emjoi-AP-9L-Slim- ... 240&sr=8-1, which is a much smaller, battery powered epilator. Just got done with my underarms and it was fantastic! I think the smaller head really helped to maintain the curves of my skin better and didn't try to chew it up. I think this will also come in handy with more delicate areas in the bikini region that I am scared to attempt with my larger epilator.

This is the one I have and I love it. I only use it for my pits atm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:22 am 

did i say totally gonna? because totally gonna!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:49 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm waiting for a month where it fits into the budget, but I'm going to do it! Heh, and my leg hair is already so grown out from lack of shaving that I'll definitely notice the difference.

How much bikini-area hair removal can you do with it?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:02 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I bought mine a while ago and managed to do one arm pit and the front of one leg before I wimped out. I thought I had a high pain tolerance, and I don't mind plucking or waxing, but something about the epilator is just killing me!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:26 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

definitely try a topical number. (in a pinch, you can use oragel. also, CVS has a generic topical liquid that's less expensive than oragel, but has the same % of benzocaine in it) it's got a dye in it, so i can't use it for my purposes since laser targets pigments. i'm going to be checking rite-aid, and if i find a colorless one, i'll report back.

leave it on for an hour before you epilate to let it get sufficiently numb. then you can wash it off and get at it.

(p.s. oragel max won't do much difference, since it has the same % benzocaine in it as the general oragel.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:43 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Thanks, supercarrot!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:01 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

supercarrot wrote:
definitely try a topical number.

Thanks for this tip! I got the emjoi gently silken (yes this thread made me do it) and tried to tackle underarms a little each day, only like 3 hairs a day for 5 days because it hurt too bad. Then I got some dermoplast spray from target which is 20% benzocaine and was able to completely finish over the next 2 days. You have to leave it on for a few minutes then you get fairly numb (still hurts but tolerable) it's a spray not a cream it doesn't gunk up the works. Bonus - once I realized there's no possible way for skin to get caught it was much less scary. So far the result is beautiful.

Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next