| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sacramentians- What's to eat?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:33 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'll be doing a bike ride up there in a couple weeks, and will have the ability to cruise Old Town, and possibly surrounding areas. I'm looking for someplace fun for dinner, or anything else 'must see'. I will have at least one other vegan with me, and after riding 60 miles, we'll be hungry, in need of food/cake and maybe a glass of wine.

Post subject: Re: Sacramentians- What's to eat?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:39 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Sugar Plum is probably your best bet (certainly for dessert), but it's at least 10 blocks from Old Sac. Queen Sheba has vegan Ethiopian food, but I think it's probably just as far, just in the other direction.

Old Sac itself is kinda fun just to walk around, but I've never gone there with the intention of eating, so I can't really help with that immediate area. There's an old fashioned candy store there that gives out free samples of basically everything, if you're into that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:38 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Hm, if you want to stay in the midtown/downtown area (and like Mexican), I would suggest Ernesto's for dinner as they have a very vegan-friendly veg section on their menu. Plus, you can't beat the endless chips & salsa. Pro tip: ask for the spicy salsa (if you're into that sorta thing) and the excellent bean dip w/out cheese. They're about 2 miles from Old Sac, which isn't too out of your way.

However, as Ashly said, Sugar Plum Vegan is definitely worth a visit (or two) and I highly recommend it. Queen Sheba is yummy too. Some other recommendations:

Tower Cafe (2.4 mi): Asian noodle salad minus chicken, East African veggie burger with peanut sauce, fresh garden salad, veggie sandwich minus mayo-- and all in a funky eclectic atmosphere that I absolutely adore! Plus, you could stop to see a movie at the Tower Theater (stocked with vegan popcorn and cookies) next door. It's such a Sacramento landmark and a great independent movie theater to support.
Doughbot (2.2 mi): Check their Facebook page for changing daily vegan offerings, but recent flavors have included vegan bacon, glazed, PB&J, raspberry, maple, apple fritters, and more. They're a fledgling business offering vegan options that I hope will succeed in the community. They sell out fast, though, so call ahead to check the status on their doughnuts!

One last thing: Old Sac is notoriously held in low esteem among locals as an "attraction" so I highly suggest you spend most of your time exploring Midtown (so many fun quirky shops and restaurants) or maybe exploring a park or too (McKinley, William Land, or Discovery Park are all great ones). If you want culture, the Crocker Art Museum is extremely close to Old Sac, recently renovated in a beautiful new building, and full of an impressive variety of art.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:43 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Karma007 wrote:
I'll be doing a bike ride up there in a couple weeks, and will have the ability to cruise Old Town, and possibly surrounding areas. I'm looking for someplace fun for dinner, or anything else 'must see'. I will have at least one other vegan with me, and after riding 60 miles, we'll be hungry, in need of food/cake and maybe a glass of wine.

When is "in a couple of weeks"? I might just be there in the second week of October.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:59 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Has there ever been a Sacramento PPK meetup? We should have one sometime. I know there's a handful of PPKers in the area, but I've never met anyone!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Veg_Eric wrote:
Karma007 wrote:

When is "in a couple of weeks"? I might just be there in the second week of October.

I'll be there this weekend. 60 miles from Antioch, back home the next day.

Thanks for the advice. As always, PPK is way more informative than Wikipedia. I think we're going to Sugar Plum for dinner. The Menu looks so yummy! And I like the idea of cruising around Midtown vs Old Town, but honestly, after such a ride, I may not make it past the hotel pool! I'll give a full report if I make it back in one piece.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:14 pm 
Saggy Butt

ashley wrote:
Has there ever been a Sacramento PPK meetup? We should have one sometime. I know there's a handful of PPKers in the area, but I've never met anyone!

that would be cool as long as it's somewhere other then Sugar Plum. My shop never felt better is doing a showing of the E.L.F movie soon and a vegan mac and cheese cook off in Dec, maybe one of those events could also be a PPK meet up??

And I wish I had seen this post earlier, there is a place in old sac that has a lot of vegan options both cooked and raw called Cafe Americana

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cafe-Americain/110944595625688

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'd love to have a Sac PPK meetup!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:31 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Me too!

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles