| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bryanna Clark Grogan's new book - World Vegan Feast
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:32 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Efcliz wrote:
I got mine directly from the publisher in the end and it arrived this week. It's gorgeous and excluding books I tested for it's the most excited I've been about a new cookbook for ages. If I didn't already have a theme for MoFo I'd be tempted to cook from it all month.

Oooh, good idea! Maybe I'll steal this for the days I do food posts. I need a kick in the butt to actually make recipes these days rather than just reading the cookbooks in bed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:22 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

bcakes wrote:
I brought this book on vacation with me last week as poolside reading. (Even though my husband made fun of me, it was a good pool read -- lots of fun food facts).

Oh, I would totally read cookbooks by the pool, that sounds perfect! I'm another 'reads-cookbooks-for-pleasure' person.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm reviewing this on my blog next week! Just got my copy in a few days ago ... first on the list are vegan poutine (hell yea!) and the fresh pineapple stir-fry!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:33 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My copy arrived last week! I can't wait to make poutine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:15 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Does the recipe for poutine have some magical concoction for cheese curds, or does it just call for melting vegan mozza on fries with gravy? I really miss cheese curd poutine. :(

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It has a recipe for tofu cheese curds!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:01 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

lobsteriffic wrote:
Does the recipe for poutine have some magical concoction for cheese curds, or does it just call for melting vegan mozza on fries with gravy? I really miss cheese curd poutine. :(

Don't you know Bryanna would never play you like that!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:57 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

IsaChandra wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

Don't you know Bryanna would never play you like that!

Yeah, I figured if anyone had some magical answer for cheese curds it would be her! I might have to get this book just for that purpose.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:31 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

What I love about her is that she's so "food-sciencey" and curious. She understands what's behind the food, not just the components themselves. She can replicate almost anything, and in a healthier fashion, usually.

The "Shoo-Fly" pie from this book is really good, and so easy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just ordered this! I'm sososososo excited to get it. It took me a little while to get beyond the price tag on Amazon, since I believe it's selling for full price, but I have no doubt that it'll be worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:37 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

This book looks good, I really don't need any new cookbooks but I think I will have to order this. I love Bryanna's recipes, especially the ones in her Chinese cookbook.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:35 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Guys the Carbonnade (aka Seitan, Beer and Caramelized Onion Stew) recipe in this book is amazeballs.

I am a totally Bryanna fangirl and I think this might be my favorite of her books. The only complaint I have is that the photos in book are kind of ugly (sorry Bryanna!). They're not well-lit or color-corrected so many of them look like refugees from the Gallery of Regrettable Food. None of her other books even had pictures though, so I don't care. The recipes are fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:10 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I just had some of the boursin style spread on a piece of sourdough. Delicious. I was a bit worried before chilling that it seemed a little greasy (there's a whole stick of eb). After chilling it's much better, but I'm still considering somehow cutting down the eb next time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:15 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Erinnerung wrote:
I just bought it! Shipping was crazy everywhere though- $14 from the publisher was the cheapest. It was going to cost me $40 all up to get it from Herbivore! I'm sure it'll be worth it though.

I caved and got it from Herbivore but I wanted some shirts and kittee's Ethiopian zine too so it was worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:47 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Quote:
Shipping was crazy everywhere though ...

The Book Depository has Bryanna's new book AND they do free shipping anywhere in the world! They also take PayPal for those of us who don't use credit cards, bless their hearts.

http://www.bookdepository.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the poutine! It's awesome. I've never had real cheese curds so I can't really compare the tofu curds, but I loved them. And the gravy is super delicious. Definitely worth the cost of the book!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This is supposed to arrive tomorrow afternoon! So excited to cook from it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:11 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Anyone else still using this book? I'd love to hear what people are making!

I've only made a few things so far because the recipes are pretty involved.

Chai spiced crepes - very easy to put together, very easy to cook, and very tasty! I just made the crepes, spread some jam on them, rolled them up and called it breakfast. The crepes themselves aren't that sweet, so putting some pretty sweet apricot jam on them was perfect.

Peruvian Stew with Peppers and Walnut Sauce - It was less of a stew and more of a walnut and onion sauce that covered the breast of tofu (which is so yummy and I've been making it for years) and steamed potatoes. I made this because of the review on Weekly Vegan Menu's blog and I agree, it is unusual. I've never had or made Peruvian food before and though it was tasty, it was pretty strange. I have a lot of sauce left over and because it got so thick with all those bread crumbs, was thinking of turning into some kind of lentil loaf or something.

Walnut Parm - made this for the Peruvian Walnut stew and it is super yummy with all that nooch and miso!

Greek potato and olive stew - very good. I made this a long time ago when it came out in her newsletter and need to make it again soon.

Drunken Beans - I really like this - I'm such a sucker for a big pot of pinto beans from scratch! Next time I make it I think I will increase the seasonings a little. I'm going to make the Viva Vegan drunken beans this weekend to compare it to.

What else should I make?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We've only made the grilled eggplant paninis with pesto mayo. We've made them twice though. They're pretty delicious.

Everything in this book looks awesome, but the recipes seem pretty intense.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

I've made that carbonnade - yum!

The Serbian seitan and sauerkraut dish is really, really good. With those ingredients, I knew it would be.

We love the Seitan au Poivre, and talk about easy.

The last thing I made was the cassoulette. We really liked it, too.....details on the blog about all the dishes except this one. It's for Vine and Dine (cookalong).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:05 pm 
Naked Under Apron

oooh yeah on the carbonnade...I was a total skeptic because of the simplicity but it definitely definitely exceeded all expectations.

her fluffy omelet is my new fave weekend breakfast (with any type of filling, though I have done her spinach one as well). I'll always love the Vegan Brunch one because it was my first omelet love, and this one is quite a bit fussier, but the taste is awesome. Totally worth busting out the hand mixer AND the food processor.

I wasn't crazy about that sweet potato/polenta cheezy bake but I think I may've screwed it up somehow.

We made her red posole the other night - I just love her many Soy Curl dishes! - and while I wasn't nuts about it, my partner loved it just as much as the posoles from Viva Vegan. (Also, on her blog she has a Soy Curl dish where she uses those tiny bits left at the bottom of the bags to make a really tasty and deceptively simple Indian dish; I highly recommend it!)

Also, the Napolitan pizza dough was great. Sometimes I find Bryanna's recipes make me a little nervous because, for instance with this dough, it was different than the way I usually make pizza - but nearly every time she wins me over. She is just very, very clever I think. Plus my dad has been raving about that NY Times no-knead bread for years now and I've never felt motivated to make it, but I made Bryanna's version (the 2 loaf variation) and thought it was heavenly.

I do find the layout of the book a bit daunting but we just try to remind ourselves to really dig into it and cook from it often!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:07 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I haven't made much from this yet, but liked everything so far! I've made chickpea omelet, korean fried rice with tofu scramble and broccoli (can't remember the exact name of the dish) and the saltado. Have to make some more, Bryanna is great!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:43 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The French Toast (I think it's called Creole French Toast with Carmelized Bananas or something along those lines) is pretty much the best French Toast ever. The elements work so well together and the texture was great. Crunchy outside and creamy inside.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:14 am 
Inflexitarian

I made the Catalonian-Style Eggplant & Almond Stew tonight, & despite loving eggplants & having cooked lots of eggplant dishes over the years, & ordered a lot in restaurants, this is the most delicious eggplant dish I've ever tried. That's a big call, but I'm prepared to make it. I did leave out the seitan, which is a fairly significant departure from the recipe, but I wanted it to be lighter, more of a side dish.

This book only just arrived in the mail yesterday & I love it already. If there are any negatives...it's the photography & the whole design side of things - cover, layout, typography, etc. The food is so inspiring, but the design lets it down. The food photography is pretty dire. I wouldn't mind paying more for a vegan cookbook that was glossy & professional, with one recipe per page, & every recipe accompanied by a big colour photo. I wish there were more books like that. But aesthetics aside, this is a really inspiring book. Most recipes do seem pretty involved & perhaps not the quick mid-week meal variety, but that's okay. I just love the fact that there are so many new flavour combinations & ingredients to inspire me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:17 am 
Saggy Butt

I'm so in love with this book right now. Everything I've made has been superb. The posole is one of the best i've ever eaten, second only to the green one in Viva Vegan, and so simple. The cassoulette and the carbonnade were both great too. Next on my list is the Shoo-fly pie.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next