| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dental care thread
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So my dentist and I are like BFFs now, I see her so often. Turned out that the years of not going to the dentist SHOCKINGLY weren't good for my teeth. I figured this out when I broke a molar back in January (while eating lollies, because I'm badass like that). I went to get it fixed and had the dentist outline everything else that's wrong with me, and we put together a plan to fix me up. I had seven cavities, and it turns out that I'm super prone to dental disasters because a) my mouth is actually abnormally small, even for someone as generally small all over as I am, which makes brushing at the back really difficult, and b) apparently my tooth-grooves are abnormally deep, which makes you prone to cavities and stuff.

So far I've had the broken tooth fixed, and four cavities filled. Just two more appointments left to deal with the other three cavities, and then one appointment for a clean and to get preventative fissure seals to fill up the deep grooves. Overall it's costing me a bit over $1,400 (without insurance), which I don't think is too bad. It's better than I'd expected, and worth it to fix me up all nice.

Also I'm a flossing pro now! I never used to do it except for when I could actually feel something stuck in my teeth, but now I do it every day and PROPERLY! I'm a real grown-up now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm 30 and my wisdom teeth are just now starting to come in. They feel like there isn't enough space and the one on the bottom right feels like it's coming in under my up til this point farthest back molar. I don't have dental insurance. Or money. Or a job (going back to school this fall to be a hairdresser, currently taking care of medical issues and not working.) I get my teeth cleaned and cavities filled at the county dental clinic where I see the best dentist I've ever had, but they don't extract molars. I'm going to make an appointment to see what they say.

I'm thinking about checking out the dental school at the University of Illinois Chicago campus to see if they can help me, but they even want payment in full up front.

I'm really scared of my teeth shattering. I had a friend when I was in my early 20s who was a few years older than me whose teeth started shattering because his wisdom teeth came in and he couldn't get them pulled.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:09 am 
Nailed to the V

I feel fortunate that my teeth look okay even though they are huge, deep, fragile and endlessly problematic. It's hereditary; everyone on both sides of my family tends to have presentable but fuckered up teeth. I've had between ten and thirteen root canals since I was twelve. I always have to get the super-deep cleanings because nothing quiet and gentle can break through the tartar that builds up at lightning-speed. I brush, I floss, I rinse, and dark spots still appear on my xrays. I had a single-root freak tooth that was dormant for years suddenly erupt near the bottom of my mouth--yes, a narwhal horn-like tooth just shot up one day to cause me pain. My teeth grow at weird angles, too, so one of my root-canals became a root fracture due to the constant strain, so I have to come up with $2500 dollars to have it yanked and replaced with a bridge (not for cosmetic reasons--I had a tooth yanked on the opposite side, and another missing tooth will create problems). I was so happy to finally have dental insurance, but asking me for $2500 is like asking me for $250,000,000 at this point. I make too much money to use a state program, but far too little money to use the insurance I pay for each month. Infuriating!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:32 am 
Saggy Butt

I never had any cavities and my teeth have always been healthy. Until now, that is. I'm pretty sure I have gingivitis or something, because I noticed some gunk on the bottom of a few teeth, I thought it was just food but it wouldn't brush off, so it's probably plaque. I'm sure being lazy and only brushing my teeth once a day for the last few years had something to do with it. I have also been worried ever since I heard that plaque can affect the heart, and I've been having strong/fast heartbeats and feeling like I can't breathe as well, but maybe it's just anxiety. I haven't been to a dentist in years because I didn't have insurance, but my dad just got me on his (I still have to pay though) so I can go to the dentist and doctor, but the only dentists on the plan are at least an hour away and I don't have a car. I've been telling my dad I need to make appointments now that I'm on the plan, that I'm paying for, and that I probably have gingivitis, but he says "but we'd have to drive to salem, and the car's not good" yeah, thanks. crasshole better give me the information so I can make an appointment myself. from what I remember of going to the dentist when I was younger, they are booked for months, so I hope that I can get in soon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:05 am 
Dildo Queen

paprikapapaya wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation, dakini. I'm going to have to look into that.

Count me in as part of the "excellent oral hygiene but terrible teeth" camp. I brush, I floss, I even tongue scrape, but I have tonnes of cavities. I always go into the dentist hopeful that my awesome oral hygiene habits will have paid off, but that's never the case. I have my dad's teeth; he has like no enamel and his teeth are just totally soft and full of cavities. Sucks.

this reply is months late, but what do you use to scrape your tongue? i just saw a tutorial where the guy used a copper scraper but i have no idea where i would find one of those, or what i could use in place of it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 am 
Dildo Queen

also i will recommend this site to everyone:

www.danielvitalis.com

if you scroll down, you will see his video tutorial on home dental care. i watched it a few days ago and i've done an oil pull and saline rinse since then, and have been flossing every single night (been getting lazy with that for the past few months...time to get back on track). i'm excited for this new routine! and i'm not going back to school so i don't have coverage anymore.
though i've noticed this really bad taste in my mouth for about the past week or so. specifically when i suck out a spot between my molars that usually gets food trapped in it...i'm worried a cavity may have formed in the past year! so i'm going to follow the routine daniel vitalis outlines, try it for a couple of weeks, but if this weird taste doesn't go away, i may have to get it checked out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:53 pm 
Chip Strong

I've never had a cavity but I've had braces and my teeth are still crooked as fork. I have one tooth in particular that drives me nuts, it snapped my retainer and sticks out and leaves a dent in the inside of my upper lip. All my small front bottom teeth are crooked too because the metal bar they glued to the inside of my teeth after removing my braces fell off. Sigh. No insurance. I haven't been in 6 years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:31 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

semiautomatic wrote:
paprikapapaya wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation, dakini. I'm going to have to look into that.

Count me in as part of the "excellent oral hygiene but terrible teeth" camp. I brush, I floss, I even tongue scrape, but I have tonnes of cavities. I always go into the dentist hopeful that my awesome oral hygiene habits will have paid off, but that's never the case. I have my dad's teeth; he has like no enamel and his teeth are just totally soft and full of cavities. Sucks.

this reply is months late, but what do you use to scrape your tongue? i just saw a tutorial where the guy used a copper scraper but i have no idea where i would find one of those, or what i could use in place of it.

I use this thingy!
http://www.orabrush.com/

It's really neat because it's like a little brush, and it's SO GROSS (but cool) what comes off your tongue after you think your mouth is clean from brushing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:11 pm 
Chip Strong

Omg I just ordered one of these. So excited. I typed in "FREE" in the coupon code section and only paid $7 total for two brushes, free shipping too!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:28 pm 
Impressive boner

I need to see a dentist. Ive found a big cavity in the tooth next to the one that had a root canal last year.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:04 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

This thread has filled me with fear. Absolute fear. I've never had a cavity and dentists always comment on my great, strong teeth (which is weird according to them, as I've pretty much always used natural/herbal toothpastes). I'm a total toothpaste lover though! Love trying new toothpastes, which is kinda weird. The best I've found is that Jason Natural Ester-C one. It actually does clean and make you feel clean, plus it actually is natural. I've never really found one that did both really well. The only thing is - their "Powersmile" toothpaste nearly blew my head off!

Wishing you guys fantastic strong teeth!! Rinse after sugar/acidic things, with water! Doooo it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:40 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've always had fantastically healthy teeth... until this last checkup, when I was informed that almost all the teeth on the left side of my face have eroded 'white patches' along the gums where the dentin is showing through the enamel (totally my fault, got into a really bad funk and forgot about silly little things like basic self-care), and also the people who told me to chew ice instead of self-harming were idiots because skin grows back but tooth enamel doesn't, so I've got some really severe wear and tear on the chewing surfaces. I was rather surprised by how upset I was to no longer have Perfect McAwesome teeth. But apparently, just to add insult to injury, neither of those things is fixable... Please, dentist, please be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just had three fillings and my dentist ominously referred to some more "dark spots" coming in in the other side of my mouth that will need to be filled in within a year. What the fork, I religiously avoid sugar, my teeth just suck. Of course i also didn't go to the dentist for years and I sometimes skip brushing at night and stuff like that.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:31 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I had a filling done in August that still kinda hurt two weeks later. I went back in, and the dentist checked it out and told me that some people just have tooth pain around a new (deep) filling for a while, since the nerve gets irritated by drilling happening that close. She told me it could take up to two months to stop feeling sensitivity on that tooth. It's almost two months later and I still can't chew things like nuts and pretzels on that side of my mouth... guysssss either the dentist messed up TWICE or I'll need a root canal or both and I am dreading going back in to try to straighten things out for fear it'll be bad news.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:51 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

vegetalion wrote:
I had a filling done in August that still kinda hurt two weeks later. I went back in, and the dentist checked it out and told me that some people just have tooth pain around a new (deep) filling for a while, since the nerve gets irritated by drilling happening that close. She told me it could take up to two months to stop feeling sensitivity on that tooth. It's almost two months later and I still can't chew things like nuts and pretzels on that side of my mouth... guysssss either the dentist messed up TWICE or I'll need a root canal or both and I am dreading going back in to try to straighten things out for fear it'll be bad news.

sucks. I'm still feeling some sensitivity on a filling I had done more than a year ago, but it's not a terrible pain. Hope your news isn't too bad.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vegetalion wrote:

Okay, I'm (obviously) not a dental professional but my advice would be to watch that tooth very, very carefully. My dentist from when I was a teen damaged three of my teeth...two of which are front and center. I had to have fillings in the back, courtesy of all the soda and candy I had as a kid. After my bad experiences with the dentist I went to when I was 16-18ish I avoided going back until I was like 26 and still couldn't bring myself to get the much needed work fixed.

Anyway, the dentist who discovered two of the teeth were dead from the deep fillings (we won't talk about the third one...) said they would have to come out. No fixing them, they would just have to be pulled and I could replace them how I saw fit, even though they look perfectly fine, like so fine that the only reason he even discovered the damage was because I asked about the weirdness I had in the gums above the teeth. So, I did what any rational person would do when faced with losing two FRONT teeth that look normal, I freaked out and didn't go back. Now, a year and a half later I got up the courage to find a new dentist and he said all that needs to be done is a root canal...just pulling them isn't even a reasonable option to him. Now I'm really happy that I freaked and didn't listen to the first guy because I would have had irreversible and unnecessary...which I hope is some help to xGreenling at least.

But yeah, don't put off getting it looked at, and more importantly, get a second opinion if you're told something isn't fixable OR if you think your dentist messed up. They're human, too, and sometimes humans don't see their own mistakes very clearly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:48 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I took the first step and made a dentist appointment today. Ive been scared and putting it off since the last time I went I asked why my teeth have such pain when I eat sugar and they said it was due to erosion of the enamel and that I would need veneers that insurance does not cover even part of. Too bad the pain is now worse and I will still not pay for the veneers, but at least I'm gonna go get my teeth cleaned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:08 am 
Ninja Master

I have to go back and get my bridges done plus I need a couple of fillings still. :-(

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have to get a filling in a few weeks. The first guy I went to (this is me not finding dentists i like in this area) said I had NINE cavities. My second opinion said I have one. I'm going with the second opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:08 am 
Level 7 Vegan

rabidchild wrote:
I have to get a filling in a few weeks. The first guy I went to (this is me not finding dentists i like in this area) said I had NINE cavities. My second opinion said I have one. I'm going with the second opinion.

Ugh, obnoxious! Maybe your first dentist was talking about what a former dentist of mine called "soft spots." They're basically areas that aren't yet cavities but will be with any further decay. I had a couple "soft spots" drilled/turned to fillings with one dentist, then I've had other dentists who were like, "No, we should just watch those spots carefully." Oh.

(Basically I am learning that I had a really bad dentist when I was a teenager, which is costing me some money now to fix...)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

vegetalion wrote:
rabidchild wrote:

Ugh, obnoxious! Maybe your first dentist was talking about what a former dentist of mine called "soft spots." They're basically areas that aren't yet cavities but will be with any further decay. I had a couple "soft spots" drilled/turned to fillings with one dentist, then I've had other dentists who were like, "No, we should just watch those spots carefully." Oh.

(Basically I am learning that I had a really bad dentist when I was a teenager, which is costing me some money now to fix...)

This other dentist could only find one "sticky" spot. He said some of the others have some staining and something else I forget that he said may eventually turn into cavities, but right now there's nothing wrong with them, so they'll just watch and see if anything happens with them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vegetalion wrote:
Maybe your first dentist was talking about what a former dentist of mine called "soft spots." They're basically areas that aren't yet cavities but will be with any further decay. I had a couple "soft spots" drilled/turned to fillings with one dentist, then I've had other dentists who were like, "No, we should just watch those spots carefully." Oh.

Yeah, I have these on my front teeth (which terrifies me). My dentist wants to look at them again in January, but I need to get my teeth cleaned anyway so I'm going to make an appointment and have her look at them in a couple of weeks. You don't just get to tell me that my front teeth are a mess and then not do anything about it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:50 am 
Tofu Pup

Count me in as part of the "excellent oral hygiene but dreadful teeth" camp. I brush, I floss, I even tongue scrape, but I have tonnes of cavities. I always go in to the dentist hopeful that my awesome oral hygiene habits will have paid off, but that is never the case. I have my dad's teeth; they has like no enamel & his teeth are soft & filled with cavities.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Everytime I drink a carbonated/sugary drink, I swish with water afterwards. Because of this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:09 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I lost one of my teeth because I left it under the couch and I think a cat got it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next