| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

have you successfully used FAM
yes, as contraception 35%  35%  [ 28 ]
no as contraception (we were abstaining during fertile phase) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
no as contraception (we were using condoms during fertile phase) 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
no as contraception (we were taking risks during fertile phase) 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
no as a pregnancy aiding method 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
yes as a pregnancy aiding method 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
other 19%  19%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 80
 Post subject: Re: the Fertility Awareness Method thread - birth control +
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:57 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

i hate that i'm back here. i had a blighted ovum and had to have a d&c on wednesday. i'm starting to chart again, in hopes of conceiving again in November -- my temps are dropping already back to normal pre-ovulatory levels, and my doctor said that it means nothing by way of my hormone levels dropping or my cycle going back to normal. Is that true? It seems like if the hormones were making my temp higher, less hormones would be contributing to my temps being lower?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:32 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oh no! i'm so sorry. :-(
{hugs}

i don't know anything about the technical stuff of hormone levels shortly after a pregnancy, but i would hypothesize that if it's falling that means your progesterone is leaving and that leaves you ripe for building your estrogen back up. just keep your eyes open for that eggwhite, and jump on the mr. when you feel ready. <3

(your doc was probably saying that just because your progesterone is dropping that doesn't necessarily mean your estrogen will rise as soon as you'd like it to. that's the only thing i can make of it.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

supercarrot wrote:
oh no! i'm so sorry. :-(
{hugs}

i don't know anything about the technical stuff of hormone levels shortly after a pregnancy, but i would hypothesize that if it's falling that means your progesterone is leaving and that leaves you ripe for building your estrogen back up. just keep your eyes open for that eggwhite, and jump on the mr. when you feel ready. <3

(your doc was probably saying that just because your progesterone is dropping that doesn't necessarily mean your estrogen will rise as soon as you'd like it to. that's the only thing i can make of it.)

I'm not allowed to jump the mister for at least a month, or longer, for "healing" which I think is crepe because I doubt my body will actually take a month to heal so that I'm not open to infection, AND it is doing absolutely nothing for psychological healing to not be able to be intimate with my husband (it's not even no intercourse - it's no ANYTHING).

The doctor sounded like she meant there was no correlation between temperature and hormone levels.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:57 am 

hmmm. sounds like your doc might not be familiar with fertility awareness? (unless there's an outside force making your temp go lower. (i would have asked her to explain why she thought there was no correlation.)

i'm sorry you have to avoid everything. you'd think avoiding shared fluids would be enough, but i suppose there are tears that they'd like to keep undisturbed. :-(
i've had to keep fluids away from my nipple piercings for the past 5 months, and i still have a month to go, so i know how it feels to be less intimate than you're used to. it's safer in the long run. you don't want an infection there of all places. there are still some things you can do that will keep your incubator free from harm. (i'm also guessing orgasm is off the table completely, eh? makes sense.)

healing happens faster with vitamins, so make sure you keep taking those. <3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:41 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

rabidchild - I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. From other people I know that have had D&Cs they were told they were good to go as soon as they had their next period. And that they might actually be more fertile that month - although I don't remember the technicalities of the hormone levels and such behind that reasoning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:35 pm 

grr day 27 and still no rise in temperature, or positive opk test-although I'm not good at waiting 4 hours to pee on those. Good news is fertility signs are back again after being here for a week than gone for a week, bad news is hubby is heading out of town on Wednesday so might miss our chance this cycle. Frustrating when cycles are this freaking long. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:04 pm 

[quote="Disappearing Ink"Supercarrot: I read a little about FAM, and I like the idea in theory (no condoms and no scary, potentially crazy makin', hormones) but I am not that organised and am scared I would make a mistake. Are there lots of charts involved? Is it hard?! Also, my menstrual cycle has a tendency to be a bit irregular at times, does that make a difference? I should really go ask these questions in the right thread.....[/quote]
I'm irregular too. the only issue with longer cycles is that there is more pre-ovulation time compared to post-ovulation time, so there is more time where you have to be more diligent and double up or do other things. (as soon as ovulation is confirmed, you're home free... 3 days after ovulation, that is.)

you only use your current chart, not past charts. you just pay attention to the current cycle's clues. no calendars, no rhythm (the rhythm method is far less effective.

definitely spend the first three months using a non-hormonal backup method throughout while you're learning.

you can also use ovulation test strips to help confirm. you can get cheap ones on amazon. some times it's iffy for me to confirm that I've ovulated. I'm gonna get some strips for myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:36 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Thanks so much for answering my questions, sc.

I think I'm going to grab that book and give charting a go. Hopefully it will all click into place once I've read up on it more, because it does sound like an ideal method for me, since the thought of putting extra hormones in my body kind of terrifies me!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:25 pm 

yay! it really is awesome. taking hormones (as long as i'm healthy and not off-balance that is) terrifies me, too!

BTW, i've been using cheapo CVS thermometers for all 93 of my cycles. so-far so good!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:57 pm 

fupapack wrote:
Hey I menstruate for 5 days followed by one day of spotting, would you consider that 6 days for charting purposes?

any day with spotting, i draw an asterisk.
i actually often spot prior to my period (sometimes as early as 8 days prior to day 1, so it's a bit tricky. if it's very light spotting, or translucent (sometimes brown) and i don't have any cramps, i don't count it as anything other than spotting. if it's bright red, it's more likely to still be menstruation.

but really, it doesn't matter if your period is 5 days or 6 days long, as long as you're putting day 1 as the first day of your period, your chart'll be fine.

(having spotting on day 6 would still keep you from being able to do the nasty sans condom either way, because of both the first 5 day rule & dry day rule, being a wet day post day 5.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Hey ladies. I have read TCOYF and would really like to make FAM work, but I'm pessimistic because I am still breast feeding (not much, but enough to make things drier than usual) and because I never, ever get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep before waking in the morning. If I am lucky I get 4 hours from 11-3, but I'm always up around 4 to change a diaper and spend the next 3 hours sleeping in 20-30 minute increments (it sucks). Would it be completely pointless to track my waking temps? I guess I won't know until I try.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 pm 

has your LAM ended?

i'd say your temps are going to be all over the place with such erratic sleep. (unless... i guess try to take it at 3:00, and see if that's enough to get a baseline going?) you'll probably just have to rely more heavily on the cervical fluid/position and your mittelschmerz. have you messed around with saliva microscopes? i never really saw much of a change in mine, so i gave up.

but still without the temp to confirm ovulation, it'll be risky to assume ovulation has passed from the other symptoms. there's always going to be a chance that what might seem like confirmed ovulation might not be. your temps can only confirm that.

if only there were test strips to test for progesterone levels. that'd solve your whole problem.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:20 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

No more LAM, I got my period at 10 months post partum. I think I'm just going to have to wait for better sleep/less nursing, and in the meantime keep using condoms, which are a total bummer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:50 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

BUMP.

So I'm about to dig out my copy of TCOYF, but until my son wakes up from his nap, I can't go searching through the closet for it. What I'm wondering though, is for women who have recently had a baby ...so if I start charting (my baby miraculously allows me to sleep long enough to get an accurate temperature, yay), but am not yet fertile again, will it become obvious when I am fertile again? Or will I have to use back up contraception the whole time? I know that generally when you start charting, you should use back up for the first few months, but does that also apply to postpartum situations? With my first child, I didn't have a period until he was about two years old.

If anyone knows, I'd love to hear about it! And once I find my book again, I'll check it out in there, and hopefully figure this all out!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:14 pm 

i was hoping someone who had a baby would chime in. i'm sure TCOYF addresses it, does it not?

if i remember correctly, you need to treat it as if you're in pre-ovulatory mode. pay lots of attention to your fluids, and if anything is suspicious, be really careful.

definitely look into LAM. there might be guidelines on that stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:27 am 
Dead by dawn

I've got a head scratcher for you, superc... TCOYF software thinks I'm pregnant but I'm totally not. The software and I agree that I ovulated on day 14. On day 28 my temp dropped below the cover line and I thought my period would start that day but it didn't... not too weird, sometimes it starts on the second low day. On day 29, it dropped further and I was kind of chuckling that I'd end up with a "textbook" 28 day cycle with ovulation on day 14. But it still didn't start. On day 30 my temp spiked way up but then dropped to at or within .1 degree of the cover line. As of this morning (.1 above) the software thinks I'm preg.

Without sharing too many details about my sex life, this is pretty much impossible. If I wasn't charting I'd think it was physical stress from race prep delaying my period, but the mechanism for that happening is delayed ovulation and I can see that didn't happen. I'm 42 but my mom didn't have the tiniest inklings of menopause until 50, and isn't skipping ovulation the culprit there too? I did skip temping for a few days shortly after ovulation due to a camping trip so the only thing I can think of is that I missed a second ovulation (fairly common in women my age and the reason we conceive twins at a higher rate.) Do two ovulations a couple of days apart lengthen/weird out one's luteal phase? I mean, it sort of makes sense that two luteal bodies, each with their own hormonal contribution, might have that effect. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 pm 

huh. i never thought of that. if there isn't a study, there should be. i always assumed the LP count should start at the first ovulation, but i can see it delaying in the case of a second ovulation. hmmmm yeah, that would make a lot of sense. i wonder if their progesterone contributions are additive. that would explain the super spike.

this time of year, we have differing external forces on our body's temperature. do you remember wearing a comforter on your hot days or being cold on your chilly days? it might be something as simple as that.

did you happen to take anything with a lot of extra B6? that's an LP lengthener too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:50 pm 
Dead by dawn

For now I am going with the theory that the LP count starts with the first ovulation, but that the second has it's own overlapping count. Or something. If my period doesn't start in a day or two, that theory will be toast. I really wish I hadn't missed those couple of temps; they might be very illuminating.

I always have the same comforter on my bed. It hasn't really started getting chilly here and the covers are on and off all night, every night. I guess it could be something super simple, but I'm just not sure what... Kind of annoying since my race is in 8 days and I thought I knew that I wouldn't be on my period then!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:04 am 

I'm thinking of this, and have ordered the book. I really don't want to take my temperature though, it seems like a PITA. I was thinking we would use a barrier method from day 6 until I no longer have fertile-looking mucus, does that seem reasonable?

Also, does using a diaphragm make it much harder to see what your mucus is like in the morning? I would use it with Contragel. I haven't gotten a diaphragm yet, so I don't know if we'll be using that, or condoms, or both.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:48 am 

as for not temping, that can be dangerous. i've often geared up and then stalled for any number of reasons. so even the "wait 4 days after fertile mucus is gone" can be misleading. the only true way to confirm the ovulation is either temping or ovulation predictor pee strips. (but even then, i wonder if they would predict the false rise as the real one too. not sure exactly what they look for.)

someone seriously has to invent something that takes our temperatures while we're sleeping. like maybe a sticker on our chests or something. i've been wanting to experiment with ear thermometers, but the FAM rulemakers say they're unreliable, or not sensitive enough? (i use earplugs every night, so it might not be unreliable for me. we'll see... when i have the moolah. those things are spendy.) i am pretty sure temping is what made my jaw go slightly out of alignment. i never used to grind my teeth, but as soon as we got married, my dentist said something. (i mean, i didn't have insurance before that, so i hadn't gone to the dentist for like 5 years before that anyway, so grain of salt and all.)

check out the beautiful cervix project. if you won't be temping, you really need to get familiar with your cervix.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:41 am 

I've heard/read some contradictory stuff about ear thermometers. We use them in hospital, so they're not totally unreliable, but they don't need to be as exact there as they should be for BBT charting. Lots of ear wax can confuse the reading, and if you've slept on the ear you're using or worn ear plugs that's not good either. I noticed the last time my kid was ill that I would get totally random readings with the ear thermometer. I think it was either wax or that we had a hard time aiming it right in his tiny ears.

Maybe I should do temps then. I'll see what I think after talking to a midwife today and reading the book (Taking charge...) - it should arrive on Friday or Monday.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:39 am 

Got the book and read through it, printed some charts. I don't know if I'll be using the TCOYF ones or the ones from NFP International. And I ordered a thermometer - they're not available in pharmacies here. I've been thinking a lot about birth control lately, and realised I'm not as open to the idea of getting pregnant now as I thought I was. Alright, it's still not a disaster if it happens right now, but when I think of having a baby next winter - I really feel how much I want to get done with college.

So, my plan right now is to a) use a diaphragm every time, and b) chart using both temp and cf, and use condoms during fertile days.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I haven't read the entire thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Just a note on timing your temp-taking... I just talked to my fertility doc about this (because I work 50/50 days/nights, so depending on the day, I'm awake at 5am, 7am, or 3pm) and he told me that a waking temp is reliable no matter the time of day so long as it's after at least 4 consecutive hours of sleep.

I'm PCOS and I've had several months of charts with temp trends that don't make sense (which makes sense, because I'm likely anovulatory), so I just gave-up. These last 3 months I have been dilligent with my treatment and I am now FINALLY seeing a definite rise in my temp on CD18. The spike was on taking my temp 4pm after waking after my first night shift after being on days for 2 weeks so i didn't think it was entirely reliable, but it's been consistently high since then (now CD 24), and I've been back on a daytime schedule for the last 5 days.

My cousin used FAM to avoid pregnancy for a year, and conceived her first son the first month TTC.

Yay, and verily he said unto them, "Eat this nooch for it tastes kind of like cheese, and drink this kombucha for it is awesome. And don't be a vegan hating douche because no one likes an asshat." - DancesWithTofu

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:49 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I used this method to conceive my kids rather than to avoid, so I'm not an expert on that. But I will say that taking my temp was not really a pain at all. I kept a thermometer and notepad next to my bed and just took my temp and jotted it down. Later, when I was actually awake, I would enter it online in my chart. If for some reason I forgot, it was on my notepad so I could enter it the next day. Totally no big deal.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 pm 

alwayshungry, did your doc know that you'd take your temps sometimes in the evening? i remember reading that ambient temperature has a bit of an effect, and since nights are generally colder... yadda yadda. also, i've done experiments where i take my temp at 7:30 like usual, and then i'll go back to sleep, and take it when i naturally wake up, and it'll be higher like TCOYF says.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next