| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Autumn at Oz (Banner Elk too)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I just went this weekend to the Autumn at Oz festival (one weekend a year now). I had gone to "The Land of Oz" near Banner Elk (NC) when I was a kid--it only existed in the 1970's--so I was stoked to find that they have refurbished some of the decorations, yellow brick road, Dorothy's house (really Auntie Em's), etc. So I went this past weekend and I'm so happy I did. I remembered more about the place while I walked around what they've been able to refurbish and performers were there dressed like the Oz characters as well. (You could dress like characters too, but I'm just me.) It was snowing on "Emerald Mountain" (town of Beech Mountain) most of the time I was there, but I still found it a trip down memory lane. I think it's kinda sad that it'll never be what it once was, but that's life I guess. [They use the money from the festival to try to find and restore more of Oz.] Has anyone else been to the festival?

Anyway, anyone who loves "The Wizard of Oz" or visited "The Land of Oz" when it was open as an amusement park, you might enjoy it next year. I wish I'd know about it before, but maybe I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much before now.

Also after the festival, I ate at a "newish" restaurant in Banner Elk that was very vegan friendly (though no vegan desserts): the Frog and the Monkey. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was also very good for both my vegan self and the necrotarian I was with.