| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Managing the many MoFo blogs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:37 am 
Naked Under Apron

Okay guys, I know this can be a little overwhelming, but I have some tips for you in managing your feeds.

First of all, I'm not so sure anymore that if I make a change to the Google Reader blog bundle if this actually updates the folder in your reader. It may be that when you subscribe to these blogs it puts them in your reader and separates them from that bundle so the updates don't transfer over. There haven't been too many updates, but one of the biggest was fixing people who submitted the comment feed for their blog rather than the blog feed itself (there were about 15). You can check to see if this change (Google Reader users) was made by visiting the "managing subscriptions" section and doing a ctrl+F (find) search for "comments." If you still have feeds that have "comments" in the URL somewhere, it hasn't updated. If this is the case (I can't check myself since I'm the one that created the bundle) then the only way for you to have the most up to date mofo blog is to do one of two things:

1. Unsubscribe to all the mofo blogs and then re-subscribe to the bundle. If doing this in the first place was a huge pain for you, then you may not want to do this and opt for the second route. But for a lot of people it was super easy. In Google Reader the bundle creates a separate folder. To unsubscribe to all of the blogs in that folder go to "manage subscriptions" and do a search to limit the blogs listed to just those in the folder (you'll enter the folder name in the search box). Then select all and unsubscribe. Then you visit the bundle page like before and subscribe there. ***If you downloaded the OPML file the only way for you to get the updates is to download the OPML file from the bundle page and load it into your reader again. You may want to go with option 2.

2. This is a little more time consuming, but less of a large-scale change in your reader. I don't want to call any of these bloggers out, but I also want people to be able to see their blogs and subscribe to them! So I'm going to list them here and advise you to go to these blogs and subscribe to their feed (NOT the comment feed) so you're actually getting the blog posts and not just comments on those posts. I'm not going to give a how-to on this as there are plenty of ways of figuring this out (Google it), but I will advise you once you subscribe to these to delete the comment feeds from these blogs. You can do this by going to "manage subscriptions" and doing a ctrl+F (find) search for "comments" and select each one of the feeds that has "comments" somewhere in the feed URL. Once you have them all selected (there may be about 15), you can unsubscribe.

These are the blogs that have been updated for one reason or another. Don't judge them! Some of it was out of their control. They are awesome - subscribe:

brittanysvegkitchenblogspot.com
healthfashionvegan.wordpress.com
lotusoutloud.blogspot.com
mizzbsblog.blogspot.com
peacebypastries.blogspot.com
pistachiorose.blogspot.com
sparkegiano.blogspot.com
adorableveggiemonster.blogspot.com
veganrockergirl.blogspot.com
veganscraps.blogspot.com
vietnamanchay.blogspot.com
justthefood.blogspot.com
jordanpattern.tumblr.com
glutenfreeveganmunchies.com
goforkgo.wordpress.com

**I hope I got them all. If you notice anything missing please post in this thread.

I hope this will help people a little bit as the comment feeds are really adding to the number of posts each day that people receive. It won't make too much of a difference (we do have over 700 bloggers this year), but it will be a little more organized. I personally chose to unsubscribe to any twitter feeds that signed up because that's just way too overwhelming. That may be a personal choice for you, but just a tip I thought I'd through out there. And don't be afraid to unsubscribe to something if you don't like the content or if you want to narrow your focus to just a few blogs...it's nearly impossible to read them all each day!

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Managing the many MoFo blogs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:54 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Thank you! I wans wondering about how to get rid of those comment feeds yesterday. This is very helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:25 am 
Tofu Pup

thanks pickledtreats !

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:56 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thank you for posting this!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:40 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Yes, thank you! I just checked, and it looks like the bundle doesn't update. So people should definitely unsubscribe/subscribe!

It is a lot of blogs to manage. Personally, I've been deleting blogs that tag posts as MOFO when they have absolutely nothing to do with food or veganism and any blogs where I have to leave my reader and go to their blog to read the whole post (I know people like the boost in blog visit stats, but I just cannot get through 700+ blog posts a day if I have to visit blogs individually).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am 
Kale Wreath

Thanks so much for updating!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:12 am 
Naked Under Apron

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
Yes, thank you! I just checked, and it looks like the bundle doesn't update. So people should definitely unsubscribe/subscribe!

It is a lot of blogs to manage. Personally, I've been deleting blogs that tag posts as MOFO when they have absolutely nothing to do with food or veganism and any blogs where I have to leave my reader and go to their blog to read the whole post (I know people like the boost in blog visit stats, but I just cannot get through 700+ blog posts a day if I have to visit blogs individually).

Fo real. Only if the headline is super tempting to I leave the reader. I've also made a folder of blogs I've really enjoyed within the mofo folder so I can go to them first and read.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:05 pm 

So I unsubscribed and resubscribed. But I'm still getting all the comment feeds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:17 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Also anyone who writes in pink or some other hard-to-read color.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:31 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Mihl wrote:
So I unsubscribed and resubscribed. But I'm still getting all the comment feeds.

I'll check on it. If you had unread posts from the comment feeds in your reader, they may still be there. I'll let you know what I find out.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:11 pm 

pickledtreats wrote:
Mihl wrote:

I'll check on it. If you had unread posts from the comment feeds in your reader, they may still be there. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thank you! I deleted all the unread posts but maybe I did something wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:38 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Looks like there are two that I missed with comment feeds...sorry!! Those are probably the ones you're getting.

As far as I can tell it's just these two:

theadorableveggiemonster.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/full
lotusoutloud.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default?alt=rss

Find them in your "manage subscriptions" page by using ctrl+F (or you can just search for the word "comments") and select them both and hit unsubscribe. You don't need to subscribe to veggie monster because I already had the correct feed I just forgot to delete the comment feed for it. You do, though, need to find and subscribe to LotusOutLoud. She has vegan raviolis up there. I mean, come ON?

http://lotusoutloud.blogspot.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:54 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

It is a lot of blogs to manage. Personally, I've been deleting blogs that tag posts as MOFO when they have absolutely nothing to do with food or veganism

Don't delete me! I am marginally talking about food and veganism. Tomorrow will be food. I swear.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:04 pm 

pickledtreats wrote:
Looks like there are two that I missed with comment feeds...sorry!! Those are probably the ones you're getting.

As far as I can tell it's just these two:

theadorableveggiemonster.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/full
lotusoutloud.blogspot.com/feeds/comments/default?alt=rss

Find them in your "manage subscriptions" page by using ctrl+F (or you can just search for the word "comments") and select them both and hit unsubscribe. You don't need to subscribe to veggie monster because I already had the correct feed I just forgot to delete the comment feed for it. You do, though, need to find and subscribe to LotusOutLoud. She has vegan raviolis up there. I mean, come ON?

http://lotusoutloud.blogspot.com/

I already did that. Thank you again for all your work! The vegan planet one also has a comment feed still out there.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm 

pandacookie wrote:
It is a lot of blogs to manage. Personally, I've been deleting blogs that tag posts as MOFO when they have absolutely nothing to do with food or veganism

Don't delete me! I am marginally talking about food and veganism. Tomorrow will be food. I swear.

I'll delete you if you don't start talking about sweet potato tots on your blog. And about p-count or was it t-count?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:09 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

pandacookie wrote:

Marginal still counts! I've just come across several posts where people are writing essays about their day without any mention of food or veganism (don't you people eat?!). Besides, I could never forsake the one who has so improved my username, and I'm pretty sure there is nothing more vegan in this holy season of Mofo than subscribing to the Pandawithcookie blog.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:55 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

thanks! I have just been unsubbing the comment feeds as I go, this is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not writing for MoFo but I've committed to at least looking over all the blogs on the blog roll (I've gotten through the E's) and adding the one's I like to my reader. There are so many.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]