| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please tell me about tubal ligation...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:14 pm 
Nailed to the V

(I searched but didn't find much...if there is already a thread that I've missed, please point me to it.)

I'm almost 39 and I don't want kids. I've been using Nuvaring for several years, but I sometimes leave it out too long and have to use condoms for a week to keep the babies away. I'm sick of the hormones, and I'm sick of having to keep track of when the ring goes in and out. I've been considering tubal ligation for some years, but now that I'm nearing forty it's seeming more practical than plain ol' birth control. I've talked to my doctor about Essure and surgical sterilization, but I don't know too many people who have done either. Did you have any complications? Would you choose the method again if you had to do it over? How long was your recovery? I'd really love any information y'all could offer!
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Please tell me about tubal ligation...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:00 am 
Cranky

I've done Essure, and it's one of the best decisions I've ever made! I had a rough time after insertion (they had to give me oxygen because I was turning blue), and the confirmation exam was pretty painful (they needed to clamp on to my cervix, which is fairly unusual), but I still wouldn't change a thing. It probably took a week before I was 100%, but I was up and working the next day. The peace of mind is completely worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:05 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I had Essure done a few months ago as well, but may end up needing to do surgical sterilization on one side. The insertion on the right side went fine (it was uncomfortable, but bearable) but the other fallopian tube cramped really badly when they tried to place the second one and the device "deployed" when it was only partway into the tube, with the result that they couldn't get it in properly but also couldn't remove it. They suggested we wait and see if it did the job anyway.

I went for the confirmation exam last week and the right side had closed properly, but they couldn't find the second device and had trouble visualizing the left tube. They're not sure if it was a problem with the imaging, if my body expelled the device, or if it's migrated somewhere. I've got an appointment with the gyno this coming week to discuss the results and the next step. If indeed it's missing and/or if the left side hasn't closed properly, I'll probably end up getting that side done surgically. (And I really hope I can get an answer as to where the device has gone.)

Since I'm still in the throes of the process, I haven't gotten to the point of enjoying the benefits. Despite my experience, I wouldn't necessarily advise against it either. I think my situation is quite unusual, and there's always the risk with any procedure that it won't go as planned. When it goes right (which it apparently does the vast majority of the time), it's supposed to be extremely effective (which my right fallopian tube can attest to) and the downtime is minimal. There's no cutting and no anesthesia. I'm only frustrated that now I'll probably have to go through the cutting and anesthesia of traditional TL.

Edited to add: As far as the procedures themselves go, I was luckier than Dr. Apricot. The insertion was painful the way that really bad period cramps are, but as soon as they were done I felt fine. And the confirmation exam wasn't nearly as painful as I was anticipating. But obviously your mileage may vary.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:23 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I had a tubal ligation done about five years ago (when I was 26) and it was the best decision I've made in a long time. It was under general anesthesia, but was pretty quick. They did it laparoscopically, and I just had two little tiny incisions, one in my belly button and one just at my pubic hair line. They have both completely faded and are invisible now. I had the clamps done, as opposed to cautery. Apparently using the clamps is more reversible and more effective. Cautery has a higher chance of failing and also a higher chance of the tissue regenerating to each other. There is a chance of ectopic pregnancy with ligation, but since that would not be a viable pregnancy and I don't want to have children, I accepted that as a risk. I stopped hormonal birth control pills just after the next period following surgery and have never looked back. For me, the decision was easy. I had taken HBC for 8 years, my doctor told me that conversations with her oncology doctor friends led her to believe that after 8 years you start to lose the protective benefits of HBC and start predisposing yourself to other cancers. I have a hereditary neurologic condition that is dominantly shared so there is a good chance my kid would have it as well and that was not something I wanted to deal with. My doctor was supportive and my insurance paid for literally the entire thing. I had no cramping afterward and my periods are pretty regular. Being off of HBC has been wonderful for my body as a whole.

I will say, my first doctor was not supportive. He was male and kept asking me questions about my husband, which I did not have at that time. He seemed to be of the opinion that a man needed to help me make this decision. I dumped him and went to another doctor, female this time, and it was a breeze. I highly recommend talking with your doctor about this option. It's quick, pretty easy, close to painless, and the peace of mind is priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:42 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm interested: if you get your tubes tied, do you still produce eggs, have periods, have monthly changes in hormone levels etc? I mean presumably the egg can't get out of you fallopian tube into your womb and vagina, so what happens to it?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:35 pm 
Cranky

GreenDuck wrote:
I'm interested: if you get your tubes tied, do you still produce eggs, have periods, have monthly changes in hormone levels etc? I mean presumably the egg can't get out of you fallopian tube into your womb and vagina, so what happens to it?

The eggs are reabsorbed into your body when they can't go anywhere. You still have periods and all that jazz.

Lepelaar, I knew you had trouble with the insertion, but I didn't realize they couldn't find it later! That's a little scary, and I hope you get it all sorted out soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:33 pm 

Ah, right. Clever old body.
I have wondered why the body can't just reabsorb eggs without having periods- maybe excrete any waste products in urine or something- but that's obviously asking too much from evolution. (I mean this should happen for all women, not those who've been sterilised.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks, Dr. A.! Yeah, I just found out a couple weeks ago that one of the devices went walkabout, so that was news to me too. I'm trying not to worry about it at least until I know what the gynecologist suggests we do next.

GreenDuck, before I started researching tubal ligation, I had the same question about what happens to the eggs. My bf and I had a laugh at the thought that they just pile up and that after I while I'd sound like maracas when you shook me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:42 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

GreenDuck wrote:
I have wondered why the body can't just reabsorb eggs without having periods- maybe excrete any waste products in urine or something- but that's obviously asking too much from evolution. (I mean this should happen for all women, not those who've been sterilised.)

Because the body would have to reabsorb all of the uterine lining that builds up in preparation for implantation. And because the bladder and the uterus aren't connected.

And because evolution is not a finely-tuned machine with an engineer making sure that each piece is as efficient as possible.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 pm 

j-dub wrote:
GreenDuck wrote:

Because the body would have to reabsorb all of the uterine lining that builds up in preparation for implantation. And because the bladder and the uterus aren't connected.

And because evolution is not a finely-tuned machine with an engineer making sure that each piece is as efficient as possible.

No, but toxins can be pumped into the blood and then be filtered out of the blood by the kidneys, can't they?

I suppose reproduction itself is mind blowing and amazing enough without being pain- and inconvenience-free, so i should stop moaning.

Good luck with the procedure f you decide to have it done, SassyOh!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:16 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

But why would you reabsorb toxins just to filter them out again? That's just more work, plus the toxins would go into your blood and body, so you would be exposing your body to more toxins than necessary before they get to the kidneys.

And yes, reproduction is amazing!

I often find myself lost in thought wondering at the fact that sex (very particular kinds between particular bodies) can create a person! Seriously, an orgasm leads to a person! What the fork?!? And yes, I know and understand the biology, but it still blows my mind. Sex-->person!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:04 pm 

GreenDuck wrote:
j-dub wrote:
GreenDuck wrote:

No, but toxins can be pumped into the blood and then be filtered out of the blood by the kidneys, can't they?

Which toxins exactly? Some species do actually go the reabsorption route. Menstruation in humans is presumably related to the structure of their placentas, which requires the formation of lots of new blood vessels and tissue that die off again if they're not needed. The evidence for it being related to some sort of adaptive "cleansing" process is pretty shoddy, particularly given that blood is pretty nice for bacteria to grow on and would actually increase the risk of infection.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:12 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yup. I've gotta get the laparoscopic TL on the left. The doctor is sure that my body expelled the Essure coil (they couldn't find it anywhere on the x-ray), but the left tube won't allow for a second attempt. (This is a weirdness of my anatomy.)

So in a few weeks time I could even give you a side-by-side comparison of the procedures, SassyOh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:55 am 
Nailed to the V

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I'm grateful that you all took the time to answer my questions. Reading through this thread, I'm really leaning towards surgical sterilization; Essure just freaks me out too much, and my luck being what it is, I don't think I want to risk one or both of the coils migrating to some weird place. I have new health insurance but I'm not sure how much it covers; my last insurance covered all but $100 of the surgery!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:28 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I had and essure and yes, it was the best decision! Everything went very smoothly! I had it in the morning, and was at work that afternoon.I didn't use any tylenol or any pain medication after the procedure, it wasn't that big of a deal. I loved that it was so quick and painless (yes, cramping after was a bit worse than usual, but nothing unmanageable) and that I was able to resume my life more-or-less immediately.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

J_Rice wrote:
I had and essure and yes, it was the best decision! Everything went very smoothly! I had it in the morning, and was at work that afternoon.I didn't use any tylenol or any pain medication after the procedure, it wasn't that big of a deal. I loved that it was so quick and painless (yes, cramping after was a bit worse than usual, but nothing unmanageable) and that I was able to resume my life more-or-less immediately.

Do they give you anything to relax you, like, I don't know, Valium or something? I'm squeamish about things pokin' my cervix!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 pm 
Cranky

SassyOh wrote:
J_Rice wrote:

Do they give you anything to relax you, like, I don't know, Valium or something? I'm squeamish about things pokin' my cervix!

I had IV sedation with mine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

Really?! Maybe I misunderstood the Planned Parenthood clinician, I swear she said they didn't sedate you for it. Hm, than kinda changes things...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:53 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think it depends where you get it done. I wasn't sedated for mine, and was just given Naproxen. That said, the Dutch are pretty stoic about medical procedures. I've heard of old-school dentists here who don't use novocaine when filling a cavity unless specially requested.

It could be that at PP they don't routinely sedate, but will upon request. Maybe ask them if there's a possibility for sedation, SassyOh (if you haven't already).